No help from support

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Hroswitha, May 31, 2011.

1. Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    I upgraded to the premiere in November of '10, and regretted it within 3 weeks. First, the eternal spinning green wheel of death. Then, the HD menus would freeze me. I kept getting messages that the network was not available and I'm not connected; I lost access to Netflix and everything else. Finally, it just stopped consistently connecting altogether.

Finally, I made tentative arrangements to return the lemon in March. Upon making those arrangements, I realized that, since I'd sent back my cable box, I would have NO television at all. I toughed it out without many of the TiVo features, but once it stopped connected without being explicitly told to do so, I gave up.

I got a return label sent to me (again) on the 23rd. I sent the lemon back. I finally have another unit, but the same thing is happening.

It says I'm not connected to the internet. I don't have access to Netflix. It says I'm connecting through ethernet, when I have a wireless G router and adapter.

I'm ready to find a way to terminate my 2 year contract with them and get a DVR from the cablecompany. Are they seriously all junk? The customer service goon tonight said all will be fixed with the 14.8 download, but I'm reading the opposite here - the download makes it worse.

What's going on?

2. Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    BTW - the main problem with the new unit is that is won't make an internet connection. We've already been on the phone with support twice, and they assured us everything was hooked up correctly. Still, it insists that it's attempting to connect through ethernet, not the wireless, but it fails every attempt.

No gateway sometimes, other times it's the TiVo has failed to answer. Sometimes, it cycles all the way through the attempt to connect, disconnects, says it's organizing the data, then tells us it failed.

What now?

3. Jun 1, 2011 #3 of 26
    exegesis48

exegesis48 Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Try hooking it up via Ethernet and see if that helps?

4. Jun 1, 2011 #4 of 26
    Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    I've tried that. It doesn't recognize the router and claims there is no internet available.

5. Jun 1, 2011 #5 of 26
    jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Well its obvious you have a network problem and not a tivo problem.

Is the tivo connected via ethernet cable (not wireless) directly to your router? What is the error message you recieve. Exactly. Folks here will help if you give us something to go on. What is the make and model of your router? We may be able to help you get it configured properly. Returning the tivo again is not going to help, there was likely nothing wrong with the first one.

6. Jun 1, 2011 #6 of 26
    Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    My router is a nearly new PK5002 wireless N router from Qwest. I have confirmed strong signals - both by Qwest and TiVo. My blue ray player, which uses a wireless connection, links up with the router quite well and easily, and downloads from Netflix with no problem. All laptops in the house have similar connection ease.

I'm getting both NO2 and NO7 error messages. The TiVo is connected via ethernet cable to the wireless N router.

The old TiVo worked quite well at first, but gradually lost connection to the internet. I spent upwards of 20 hours in the last six months on the phone with service folks at TiVo. Even the wireless N router was their "fix" for my problem which was not a fix.

This TiVo connected once yesterday at 2:30. Now, it won't connect at all. Any suggestions?

7. Jun 1, 2011 #7 of 26
    indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Have you tried switching channels on your router? Could have interference coming from somewhere. Type of security is another common culprit when having difficulty in staying connected. What firewalls do you have in place? Could you need to open a specific port to get it connected?

8. Jun 1, 2011 #8 of 26
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If you're wired connected, how are you seeing strong signals? :confused:

Though it seems unlikely, maybe you have a bad (wired) port on the router?

9. Jun 1, 2011 #9 of 26
    curiousgeorge

curiousgeorge Member

Nov 28, 2002
    I agree that it sounds like you have network configuration or wireless interference issues. Just because one network client doesn't have problems doesn't mean your network is set up right.

10. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    The wireless N adapter connects through the ethernet port. I dont know why you'd have a signal meter for it. My Tivo doesnt know if its wireless or not.

11. indychris

indychris New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    I don't think you're reading correctly, Orange. He ISN'T using an ethernet connection, yet his TiVo states that he is. As he said in the OP:

12. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    This is how the wireless N adapter works. Where does the adapter connect to the Tivo? USB or plug into the ethernet port? I know the old G adapters were USB but thought maybe theyve changed them to be like the N adapter.

13. Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    A quick update on the situation.

We struggled for two days to get the TiVo to consistently make a connection. We had it wired from the wireless router directly to the TiVo with an ethernet cable. We checked all relevant ports on the router and made sure they were all free. We made sure the IP addresses needed were also not blocked by the firewall. None of this made any difference AT ALL.

After an hour going over everything with Qwest, they finally offered to send us a replacement router gratis - nice, but I doubt that's the problem. TiVo support has offered to send us another N adapter too, but that won't work either.

Right now, we have the TiVo hooked directly via ethernet cable to the router. That is working. It required drilling another hole in my beautiful wood floors, but there it is. None of this would be necessary if I had a dvr from my cable company.

It works for now, but I am leery.

14. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    I live in an apartment, and went with MoCA adapters to extend my LAN from my home office to my entertainment center. No drilling, ethernet over the existing coax cables.

15. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Is it a separate modem and router? If it is, and if it becomes a problem again, bypass the router and connect the Tivo directly to the modem itself. See if that fixes anything. It's not a permanent fix, but it would tell you if it's a problem with the router.

16. aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I'm betting you have two devices using the same ip.

17. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Or maybe two routers trying to manage the same subnet.

18. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Your router really needs to be configured to assign the same IP address to the tivo always based on it mac address or else set it up using a static IP address and assign that in your router.

Once I assigned the tivo a permanent IP addresss, all sorts of network funny business went away with the tivo and connections became rock solid. Had nearly the same issue with a couple of network printers (one HP and one Dell) as well so its not just tivo. On mine, the devices are not set as static IP, they are still DNS, just the router has an IP address reserved for each specific MAC address and always assigns the same address to the same piece of equipment in the home.

For what its worth, your work to install the wired ethernet connection will pay off. Its far more reliable and transferes data much more quickly than any of the wireless options for tivo.

Yes a cableco dvr would not have required the ethernet cable. It also would not do ANYTHING the tivo does other than record shows off cable. The tivo is MUCH more than a dvr. You really need to avail yourself of its capabilities.

19. Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    I have one router, not two. It is both modem AND router.

I've checked the IP addresses for both TiVo and computers. We ran the list of IP addys that had to be free for TiVo to work properly through our internet provider, and they verified all is well there.

The ethernet is now hooked directly into the wireless router/modem. We've finally upgraded to 14.8, and the connection speed is pretty good. Cross your fingers it still works tomorrow.

20. Hroswitha

Hroswitha New Member

May 31, 2011
    BTW - when I pull up my TiVo desktop, it doesn't register that I have a TiVo on the network. Is that because I've bypassed the wireless adapter?