No HDMI signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Ziggy86, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004

Advertisements

My parents have a TivoHD unit and for the last two years it was connected to a CRT TV. Well they finally bought an HD set, I connected it and there is not HDMI signal or composite signal (the cable with 5 wires, or is it component, I never can remember) showing on the TV. The tivo is working because I see picture from the menus but always says no signal and I have cycled through the inputs.

I will bve connecting my cable box directly to the Tivo tomorrow and see if that brings in an HD signal but I wanted to know what else to try and if others have had problems with Tivo HD and hdmi not working.

Tivo said they would exchange the unit and we can keep our lifetime service if we pay $149

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    White and red audio and yellow video is composite because the video is composed of all of the various separate components (color, brightness, horizontal and vertical synchronization signals, etc.).

The red, green, and blue, and red and white audio, is component, because separate components of the video signal travel over separate wires.

If the TV has a set of component inputs, try running the Tivo in that way (don't spend too much on the cable, $10 or preferably less), and see what you get.

If that works, you can stay with it and avoid the HDMI/HDCP games, or at least you'll have narrowed down the problem to the HDMI output, cable, or input.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You cannot connect a cable box to a TiVo HD because it uses cable cards instead.

Make sure you have connected the cable tv coax to the directly cable input (the 2nd coax jack since there is no coax output.) NO CABLE BOX.

4. NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    Double check that the cable feed is attached to CABLE IN and not ANTENNA IN on the back of the TiVo.

5. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004

Advertisements

The cable in is attached correctly since when I have tivo connected to the old CRT everything is fine. Once I connect hdmi I get nothing not even the setup TV today.

If I do exchange the TIVO as Tivo suggested (we are using FiOS) will I be able to just plug in the cable card or will it need to be paired again requiring a service call from Verizon?

6. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    This could be either a bad HDMI jack on the Tivo, bad cable or an HDCP issue. While the Tivo is on, try turning your TV off and then on which may help if its an HDCP issue . Does component (Red Green Blue) work? With Fios IIRC you wont have to repair the cards but I could be wrong

7. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    No repairing even if Tivo unit is replaced? Hope you are right. Component does not work either.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If neither component nor HDMI work, I'd start suspecting the new television until and unless I'd fed another signal source into those inputs and gotten a picture.

9. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Try cycling through the Tivo's various resolutions while connected thru HDMI. It is possible, tho improbable, that the TV does not support the Tivo's current resolution.

10. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    But wouldn't I be able to see the tivo central screen regardless?

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Ziggy86,

In your original post it seems that you said that you had the THD connected with hdmi to a new HDTV and you were getting the TiVo menus OK, but all channels said "no signal". If this is the case the problem has nothing to do with the output cables (HDMI) that you are using from the TiVo, but indicates that there is a problem with the input signal to the TiVo, either the coax cable connection or the cablecard.

Now it seems that you are not getting the TiVo menus either. Is this true when you just use the HDMI cable?

When you previously had it connected to the CRT TV did you also have cablecards installed? I assume that you connected the THD to the CRT TV with composite cables (red-white-yellow). True?

12. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your posts are very confusing on specifically what you have done and what you can see. You need to start from basics.
    1. On the TV, you need to hook up some other HDMI or component source to verify that the TV is setup and working fine from that source.
    2. Next, connect the TiVo to the new TV with BOTH the HDMI or component cables that you just successfully tested in the step above and the same NON-HD cable that you always used on the old TV.
    3. Use the button on the front of the TiVo to set the output to 480i fixed - this signal will be displayable on any device through any connection.

Note that the TV needs to be on before you boot the TiVo or you may not see some of the initial boot screens on an HDMI connection. But that is why you also connected the TiVo with a composite or s-video cable - so that you should be able to see the TiVo output somewhere at all times.
    4. Now you can cycle through the TV inputs, and you should see the TiVo on two different inputs. Select the HD input you used (either HDMI or Component), and then use the button on the front of the TiVo to change the output to 480p fixed. If you still see the output, change the TiVo to 720p fixed. If that still works, change it to 1080p fixed.

13. Ziggy86

Ziggy86 Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Sorry for the confussion.

Whe I connected the tivo to the new tv vias hdmi I was not able to get anything, no channels and no tivo central. The TV did not even recognize a signal comming in from the tivo.

When I connect the tivo to the TV with only the red, white and yellow cables I see tivo central working.

14. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    With red white yellow are you able to tune to any channels?

Stupid question you did change the input source on the TV to HDMI when you connected hdmi from TiVo right....