1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NO HDMI extended warranty

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by bengalfreak, Aug 14, 2018.

1. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I did a search going back a couple of years, but couldn't find anyone who had this exact question so here goes. I have a Tivo Roamio Pro that no longer outputs HDMI signal. I've rebooted the Tivo multiple times. Tried several different HDMI cables. and the TV still gets HDMI signal from other sources on that same port so its definitely the Tivo. I bought the 3 year extended warranty that's good until 03/2019. My question is, will Tivo replace my unit under the extended warranty? I still have component video and I just want to make sure they're not going to try and say that's all they have to provide. Seems like I remember them trying to do that in the past.

Thanks.

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Although the TiVo is broken and they are bound to fix or replace it, why would you confuse the issue by volunteering that component works at all? After all, it is almost impossible to buy a TV with component inputs these days. (Give your component cables to your brother-in-law before you call them so you can honestly say you don't have that connection available for your TV, if you don't want to lie.)

Your TiVo is broken. They should replace it.

aaronwt, mazman and chiguy50 like this.
  3. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002
    I wasn't going to volunteer anything. I thought they just might ask me. And, by the way, I have 5 flat screen TV's in the house and all of them have component video hookups. Even the one I just bought 3 months ago.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    For me his reply stands. Why even mention it? If they ask the answer is I don't know because I can only use HDMI.

5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Exactly. There is a young Fillipino making less than US minimum wage who will put his job in danger if he lets too many returns by. OP needs to work with him to come to the clear conclusion that his TiVo is non-functional to make the case clear-cut so they can both go home happy. Opening the possiblity of a circumvention with component will needlessly muddy the waters.

Also, what brand and model TV did OP buy? When I bought a new TV this year exactly none of the high-end 2018 models I considered had component any more.

6. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002
    The one I bought just a couple of months ago is a 32" Samsung smart Tv that I mounted on the wall in the kitchen so my wife could have a good view of the videos she's cooking with. It has component video. The 48" Samsung I bought for my daughter this last Christmas also has component video. The other 4 are all at least three years old. I tend to not buy high end electronics as they have features I'll never use. I would have bought non-Smart TV's but its getting harder to find them. Maybe manufacturers just assume us tightwads need the older ports. Or maybe cheaper models tend to just be re-badged older sets but I'm just guessing.

7. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even if the TV has component, why would you want to use it? HDMI requires one cable for both audio and video which is sweet. Personally, I dumped component connections back in 2005 and never looked back once I started using HDMI.

8. chiguy50

chiguy50 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    There are a number of use scenarios.

In my case, I have my Roamio Pro connected via HDMI to my AVR and also via component video to my TV. The redundancy gives me additional options for combining video and audio from two different sources.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Because component NEVER has any stupid HDCP encryption compatibility issues. Nevertheless, I am using HDMI now because I had the exact opposite problem - my component output stopped working (it would display the tivo guy screen during a reboot, but the signal would disappear once the normal TiVo screen should have come up).

Teeps likes this.
  10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Because your wife bought you a nice Onkyo receiver without HDMI and 5.1 speaker setup around 2005 (and we almost never get rid of something that's still working well). :)

I'll admit that I've been considering upgrading the receiver recently and retiring the receiver to the audio setup....

Scott

11. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    The new Samsung TVs have two small headphone like Jack's. They supply adators to connect the 3 video wires that go to one input and the 2audio wires. So you connect two wires to the TV for component audio and video. I compared the hfmi and component and component holds up quite well. The HDMI is superior, but only under scrutiny.

12. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Component video is reliable, hassle-free once wired up, and works great over longer distances. That is unless you're running in to copy protected content that requires HDCP support.

Of course all outputs from your TiVo should be working. Many of us use both outputs at the same time to connect a Slingbox up to for instance.

13. schatham

schatham Active Member

Mar 17, 2007
    If it's under warranty they will fix it or replace it.

14. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think the value of the Tivo is diminished if the HDMI output isn't functional. The functionality of the other outputs is not relevant to the functionality of the HDMI output. Your reasoning is like a road hazard warranty not fixing your flat tire because your spare tire is good. What if the component output fails after the 3-year warranty expires? You would have to use composite output.

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Component video has three wires, red, green and blue. Perhaps you mean composite. Composite can’t do HD. Not sure what you have done..

aaronwt likes this.
  16. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    A big problem for me would be the loss of the recordings on the DVR. Even for a minor problem like the HDMI connector breaking, they're probably going to swap out the TiVo with a refurb. Does TiVo ship the replacement in advance so you can at least copy over shows (that can be copied) from the old unit to the refurb?

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've used well over a hundred HDMI devices over the last thirteen years. I've easily had less issues with HDMI devices than I did with the component devcjes I used. not to mention one cable for audio and video is better than the four or five needed for component and optical or analog stereo. I dumped optical cables when I dumped component as well. And I would never want to use analog audio cables either.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

18. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002
    Seems like I was worried for nothing. TiVo is replacing the Roamio.

sakaike, aaronwt and ej42137 like this.
  19. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Component never had HDCP, which means it played well with splitters, muxes, slingboxes, and AVRs. I can't recall running in to a black level issue before HDMI, either. The coax cables used by Component Video were also inexpensive with solid noise rejection thanks to the center core shielded cables. Bulky? You betcha. But quality wise? I'd love to see someone spot a difference in a legit double blind test.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The component cables I used between 2001 and 2005 were many times more expensive than the Premium Certified HDMI cables I use today. HDMI has always worked well in my setups with splitters and AVRs. And with many dozens and dozens of HDMI devices I've used since 2005. Before HDMi it was just such a mess with all the component cables and optical cables I had going to around twenty devices in my main setup. Not to mention all the component switches and optical switches I needed back then. It's so much easier now having multiple five port HDMI switches in each setup to accommodate all my devices for audio and video.

Not sure how to spot UHD over component. It's clear over HDMI but it would have a blank screen over component since it doesn't support it.