No HD cable cards? (Time Warner Los Angeles)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by SulkyGirl, Jul 14, 2007.

1. SulkyGirl

SulkyGirl New Member

Jun 20, 2006

Advertisements

So we called today to set up cable in a new apartment. We informed Time Warner (Los Angeles) that we were purchasing a series 3 Tivo, and they made a note for the installer. They said we would need a box from TW, and we said we weren't sure that was true, we thought maybe we could use 2 cable cards in the Tivo (we don't need PPV/On Demand)? They said they don't have HD cable cards in our area, so we would need a box from Time Warner in order to get the HD programming. True? False? Misinformed? LA is a big market, that seems odd...

2. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    Totally clueless. You just need the cable cards.

Al

3. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Besides, there's no such thing as "an HD CableCARD".

You need two CableCARDs. You do not need (and cannot use) a converter box.

Don't even tell TWC that you are putting them into a Tivo.

When the installer arrives, force him to follow the installation instructions exactly as written despite any protest to the contrary.

Run a channel test from the CableCARD menu for both cards. Make sure to try at least one channel from all the programming tiers you get and all of the premium channels.

Do not let anyone tell you "it will take a few hours after authorization for all the channels to come in".

Enjoy your new Series 3. :)

4. briankasper

briankasper New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Los...
    CableCARDs have nothing to do with high-definition vs. standard-definition programming. Essentially, all the CableCARDs do is provide the "key" to decrypt encrypted (scrambled) channels. They have to be configured with the proper authentication information by people at the "back end" of Time Warner, which means the installer will have to call in and provide them with certain values programmed into the cards.

The S3 TiVo is a "CableLabs-approved device", which means they are legally required to provide CableCARDs for it at your request. This is an FCC mandate.

The best way to get the cards installed and configured properly is to convince the installer to follow the TiVo-supplied instructions TO THE LETTER, and to write down the values they need to send to the "back end" folks and double-check them. From what I've seen on these forums, a large percentage of installation problems are caused by miscommunication of the "key" values by the installers to the "back end" folks.

One difficulty you'll face is that the TiVo instructions say the cards should be installed one-at-a-time, but the installer will almost certainly want to do them both at the same time because there's a long delay waiting for the "back end" people to do their magic. This is only a hunch, but I think the reason TiVo wants the cards to be configured separately is to eliminate confusion about the values the installer tells the other folks, so putting both cards in at the same time *should* work. That's how my installer did it, and after I corrected him a couple of times as he misread the important values over the phone, everything worked.

Also, you should test every type of channel you should be receiving (SD movie channels, SD digital channels, HD channels) and make sure they're all working on both tuners before the installer leaves.

It's unfortunate that we end-users have to be so proactive about this, but since the S3 is fairly new, that's the price we pay.

-B

5. berfy

berfy New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Mobile

Advertisements

I have TW service in Los Angeles and also own a Tivo S3.

The person you spoke with at TW is absolutely CLUELESS which is par for the course.

All you need are TWO cable cards for which they will charge you $1.75 each per month. You do NOT need a cable box at all. My advice is that you stress to the person you are making your apponiment with that you need TWO cable cards. Make sure the technician has that information on the service order or he/she will undoubtedly only bring ONE cable card. This is what happened on my first service attempt. Don't let it happen to you. Don't even tell them they're for a Tivo, that will only further confuse them. Let the person scheduling your appointment think that they are for two seperate TV's. That way they'll be certain to tell the technician to bring TWO Cable Cards.

The Technician who comes to your house SHOULD have some familiarity with installing on a Tivo as they are quite common in the L.A. Market, particularly on the West Side.

When the technician gets there INSIST that he follow the Tivo cable card installation instructions to the letter and you shouldn't have any installation problems. TW Los Angeles uses Motorola Cable Cards and from what I can tell they cause far fewer installation problems than do the Scientific Atlanta cable Cards that are also floating around out there.

Good luck and enjoy your S3!

6. SulkyGirl

SulkyGirl New Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Thank you all so much! I feel so armed with information. Which is my favorite way to feel. :) I have been a Tivo user since the 1st gen Tivo, and I'm glad to have such a great resource in TivoCommunity. Thanks again!

7. Kracko

Kracko Member

May 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    1.75? I just called them and they are charging 9.99 each. Are you sure about this pricing?

8. berfy

berfy New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Mobile
    I pay $1.99 each but I live in West Hollywood. Your area of L.A. may charge more. I'd press them on this though.
    Good luck!