No Habla Espanol

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jtreid, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1 of 18
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA

Advertisements

I've removed most of the Spanish channels from my channel line-up, but stupid Tivo suggestions still keeps insisting on recording some Spanish program. I don't know what the show is because, I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH!!! Dammit Tivo, this is America. We speak American!;)

2. Jul 5, 2011 #2 of 18
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    "We speak American"? Which language is that?

Are these suggestions recording on channels you have marked as not receiving?

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 18
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    North, South, or Central?:rolleyes:

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 18
    Sapphire

Sapphire Xtal substance

Sep 9, 2002
    USA
    No smileys in your language?

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 18
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003

Advertisements

Dios Mio! Mi TiVo registros sugerencias español también!

I haven't removed the channels myself, but I still find it funny that the suggestions engine is picking programming that is in a language that I don't understand, and in a different language than all of the programming that I have ever recorded.

It also likes to record the "Public Access" channel, even though it has no idea what is on that channel.

The last straw was when it decided I would like "The View" and "Dr Phil".

Mi Tivo es Loco.

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 18
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Having seen Dr. Phil, I'm not that crazy for the view:), but at least it's not like the one guy from the early days whose TiVo was convinced that he was a gay Nazi.

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 18
    scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Give the program a thumbs down rating and it'll never be recorded as a suggestion again.

8. Jul 6, 2011 #8 of 18
    jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Easy 'nuf, but my point was I don't watch or record any Spanish speaking channels, yet Tivo has decided I need this show. Now I must do something extra to stop it. How did it ever, ever, decide to suggest Spanish programs based on my watching/recording habits? I feel like I'm going to my own bank now which asks me every time I use the stupid ATM card if I want English or Spanish.....E-V-E-R-Y T-I-M-E.:mad: Even my grocery store has figured this one out...Ask once and save preference.

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 18
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Our collective best guess is that most programs have a secondary audio track in spanish, with "spanish" marked in the guide data.

A thumbs up* gives a weighted positive value to each guide data element (show name, actors, director, category, language, etc) so if you give signficantly more thumbs up than thumbs down likely the most highly rated shared data elements is "spanish".
    It's on almost every show so it's way more common than a shared actor; or even categories like drama or comedy.

For what it's worth this suggestion idiocy does eventually taper off as you rate more items.

*including automatic thumbs up when you schedule recordings

10. jtreid

jtreid Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Reading, PA
    Geeze, Jon, Borg much? :D No really, I have to respectfully disagree with your explanation. I will assume that the suggestions travel with the box and not the account. I've had a universal remote that does not have a thumbs up/down since my S3. Since, I've relocated the S3 to the bedroom and now have a Premiere. The Premiere, I fell pretty safe saying, has never had a thumbs up/down rating on any show. It does, however, do a pretty good job on suggestions with this one occasional exception of recording Spanish channels. And FWIW, they do show up in suggestions so it's not just Tivo switching to some random channel for some reason. It is purposefully doing it.

I'm not sure everyone is getting the gravity of this situation. Suggestions is not just recording some show that I'm not interested in. It is recording a Spanish-speaking show that I cannot even understand. It's completely off its rocker in suggesting this show. Is Tivo suggesting I learn Spanish? I mean, c'mon, this is an huge error in the suggestion algorithm.

11. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Then you'd better run for cover, because it's not safe. Every time you record something (other than a manual recording) or at least schedule a recording, the Tivo automatically gives it a thumbs up. There's no way around that.

Apparently it's not easy 'nuf because you said the tivo keeps recording it. One would think that if it's problem enough to come here and complain about, it's a problem you'd solve before tivo had a chance to keep recording it.
    As for your intended point, You don't say anything of the sort in your OP.

12. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    If any program records in a language other than the one you can read or speak, simply notice the channel and time and day/date it appeared. Look it up at that day, time and channel the next time it repeats (unless it's a movie or special program with a one-time showing) and put one-to-three thumbs down in place. Also, look at TiVo suggestions on a regular basis for at least 1-4 weeks consecutively. If you see any foreign program listed, give it a thumbs down. If you put enough thumbs down on such programs, maybe TiVo will realize you don't want those programs!!! :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: :)

13. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    This sounds like a lot of work, for something that should be done automatically as one of the primary criteria of the suggestion feature.

14. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Suggestions are done entirely within the box.

15. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    As defined by Webster.

It definitely is not Spanish as defined by the Real Academia Española.

16. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    Also...if there are certain channels that are either all Spanish (or predominantly Spanish), delete those channels from your lineup. If they aren't in your lineup, nothing can or should be recorded on those channels.

17. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why suggest all of the extra work?
    If an unwanted program is recorded as a suggestion, all you have to do is go into that recording and give it the thumbs down.

18. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    And I never said, or meant to imply, otherwise.
    I was attempting to describe how the individual TiVo uses the thumbs data it has and why that can often lead to recording Spanish programming.