No guide information on local HD channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ipegasus, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ipegasus

ipegasus New Member

Oct 7, 2011
    I have Charter cable in the Madison, Wi area. After doing a guided setup with cable only, none of my local HD channels show up, only the analog ones are there. If I do a scan for channels on cable only the local HD channels are found. If I check the guide it shows to be announced for the local HD ones.

Now if I hook up a rabbit ear antenna to the Premier unit and do a guided setup with antenna and cable the local HD stations show up with the proper guide information on the antenna connection. My antenna is not good enough for reliable reception to leave this way.

Seeing as most of my TIVO subscription cost is being able to use the guide for selecting shows, I have lost most of its value.

So is the problem with Charter or TIVO? Where do I start? I have only had the unit for a week. Getting frustrated.

2. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    You can't get guide information for digital cable channels unless you have a cablecard.

3. ipegasus

ipegasus New Member

Oct 7, 2011
    The channels I am referring to are local (3-1, 15-1, 27-1) that I get without a set top box from the cable company. My TV tunes these without anything extra. Isn't the cable card for scrambled channels that are extra cost HD content?

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    No, the cablecard will map the channels to the correct channel in the guide. The TiVo has a tuner that can tune these digital channels. But if you want guide data you have to install a cablecard. TiVo doesn't keep up with qam frequencies. That is done by the cablecard.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Local channels in HD are are what is referred to as "Clear QAM" and you can not get guide data for them in a Tivo without a CableCARD. There are many previous threads on this subject, and it's not going to be changing.

6. ipegasus

ipegasus New Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks for the information. I tried searching on all kind of keywords but never hit on QAM as it did not mean anything to me. After doing a Google search it brought me to tivo.com/support and my question was answered there also, just like you said.

I have a homemade antenna hooked up and get good signals (over 80 strength) on my local channels. I do get guide information for them, so I will stay with the antenna/cable combination.

Problem solved at no cost, doesn't get better than that.

7. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    And the channels you receive through the antenna are very likely to be of better quality than the (likely) compressed ones that are on the cable in the clear.