No Guide Data

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Rcrew, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002

Advertisements

I did some searching here, but haven't seen any posts close.

I'm out of guide data at 3PM today. This may be a dish alignment problem. What would be a big aid is if I could find a channel to transponder list.

TCM is having problems, audio drop out and pixelation. Transponder signal strength varies, but I do have several that are registering 80%. I don't recall if some used to be higher.

It's possible that my dish could need an alignment tweek, it's not been touched since the original installation Jan '02.

But, I still have 3 D* TiVos, and only the R10 is lacking guide data.

Suggestions?

2. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Have you tried re-starting it?

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I'm not sure what finally did it. Went through manual call, and a re-start.

Guide data is picking up now.

Should have known that since the other 2 TiVos had data it probably wasn't the dish. But next time the boys are here and can help, I think I'll get up there and see if I can tweek it enough to get AMC and TMC to come in better. Since it's acting just like rain fade, on clear days, I'm guessing it's a little out of alignment.

Still would be nice if there was a list somewhere that showed exactly which channels come in on which transponder.

4. farleyruskz

farleyruskz Nunya

Nov 13, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA
  5. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002

Advertisements

Much thanks for that link, the data looks good.

My two most affected channels, AMC and TCM are on Transponders 19 & 21.

Checked signal strength, and both of those are in the 3x range, pretty weak.

Interestingly, transponder 20 is toning in at 92.

Oh, and what's most confusing is that according to that list, other channels that are on 19 & 21 are not showing the same issues.

Oh well.

6. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    All guide data comes from a single stream on the 101 satellite. Looking up the transponder map on other satellites will not help. There is a long standing bug with DirecTiVo in that they sometime lose track of the guide data stream. A simple restart will fix the problem. The new guide data will completely fill in over 24-48 hours.

7. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Thanks again for adding info.

I'm having two issues, one was the guide data on the R10, thanks for clarifying that it's the single stream on the 101 bird.

The other problem, potentially related is the fade on a couple of channels mostly AMC & TCM, which are on low signal transponders 19 & 21, both under 40 signal strength.

Again, I'm just a little unsure because 20 is toning at over 92, steady.

Perhaps an alignment tweek can get 20 above 92, but I suspect I'll lose some on 20 to gain on 19 & 21.

Or, perhaps the dish is just dirty?

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    TP 20 on 101 is a spot beam. Spot beams can have values from 0 to 100 depending on location. Never use spot beam transponders for aligning a dish. I usually use a non spot TP with a low value for re-aligning when necessary. Oh yeah, the other spots on 101 are 4, 12, 18, 26, & 28.

9. IminMs

IminMs New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    Just to make sure your TP info is correct, Tune to AMC,(or what channel you want the TP info for) then check your signal strength. When you first goto Sig Str, it will show the satellite and transponder for the channel your are tuned to at that time.

10. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Thanks again guys, as usual this is the place for good info! (Hi Jim!)

Finally got tired enough of the fade on AMC & TCM, that I just went and took a look at the dish. Little bit of bird poop cleaned off, general wipe down of the dish, and the face of the LNB.

Signal strength now above 4x, and no more fade!

Thanks for the tips on choosing a better transponder to measure signal strength for a tweek. I'll do that next week.

11. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    I was recently having problems with those two transponders on a couple of my DirecTV receivers (one HDTiVo and one regular D10). I wasn't seeing the low signal strengths on other receivers, though.

It turned out that one of my two multiswitches was faulty. Once I had it replaced, my signal strengths on those two particular transponders returned to their usual 90's.

12. Rcrew

Rcrew Active Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Great tip Marc, I'd even forgotten that I have cascading multi-switches, the secondary feeding the living room.

But I just checked all 3 TiVos, all are within 2 points signal strength. But today they are clocking in arround 55 to 57, and I haven't changed anything.

Still going to have the boys help me tweek the dish next week when they are back.