No Guide Data after 1/1/07 - Please help

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Phil B, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Phil B

Phil B New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK

Advertisements

My 5-year-old unmodified, unhacked TiVo has stopped getting guide data, even though it is connecting ok and daily call is "successful". There are no other obvious symptoms and it plays and records ok. Clearly this is fairly specific to my machine otherwise forum would be littered with similar posts.

Details as follows:

It tells me it has "Only 6 days of programme Guide data remaining". I checked and it has no guide data after midnight Mon 1 Jan 2007.

I tried forcing a daily call a couple of times and carefully watched "Current call status:".

First time I forced daily call it reported "Dialling...", "Answered", "Connecting..", "Setting clock...", then went straight to "Hanging up" and "Succeeded" (without downloading or loading data). Guide data still only to 1/1/07.

Second time I forced daily call: after "Setting clock..." it showed "Downloading..." but only for a suspiciously short 5 seconds, before "Loading data" for over 10 minutes and again "Succeeded" :) . But when I checked, STILL no new guide data past 1/1/07 :confused: .

I tried "resetting" and it started up ok (my daughter appreciated seeing TiVo guy sliding again), but guide data still only up to 1/1/07.

I've tried to explain in dispassionately clear detail, but you will appreciate that I am barely containing my own (and family's) panic. :eek:

Please help.

2. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
  3. Phil B

Phil B New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
  4. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    The data that is downloading to others is correct - have you checked your account status?

5. Phil B

Phil B New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK

Advertisements

Account status: 5 Lifetime

Any other ideas?

6. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    My only other idea is that you data has got corrupt - you may have to redo Guided Setup.

Guide data here runs for 20 days.

7. Phil B

Phil B New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    Can't remember if I've done that in the 5 years I've had TiVo. Will Guided setup mean I lose programmes in Now Playing, or even worse, season passes?

8. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    It's not just me is it? Why is this problem affecting so many TiVo users??

My Toppy is on order and will arrive tomorrow ...

9. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    What's a Toppy?

10. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    :) I've ordered a Topfield TF5800 PVR, which is a dual tuner freeview PVR which allows you to connect a PC or Mac via USB to download recorded programmes, and lets you run TAPs (Topfield Application Programs) - an officially hackable product if you like.

Obviously it won't be as good as my beloved TiVo, but if I can't get guide data then TiVo's just a big doorstop.

I need something to record my favourite programmes over the rest of the festive period!! Amazing how attached I've become to TiVo. Good job I didn't buy that lifetime subscription though.

Don't know what the problem is with TiVo guide data, but I'm not the only user who is suffering since the start of December, so obviously it can't be down to the individual TiVo configurations - I certainly haven't changed anything recently. I'm on TalkTalk broadband, not NTL. I can ping internal and external IP addresses from TiVo, including the TiVo guide data server. But yet it won't connect - even though other users are updating fine.

11. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    Sounds interesting.

12. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
  13. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    SPs: No - not if you don't change the platform (ie: Sky to cable)

Now Playing: No

14. Phil B

Phil B New Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    Thanks ozsat.
    I did Guided Setup and now have guide data up to 16/01/2007, and as you confirmed my Season Passes and Now Playing are all still there. :)

It looks like you were right and guide data was corrupted.
    Do you think corruption was likely caused by a disk problem :eek: or just due to a software glitch due to my TiVo being left running for too long (5 years) ;) .

P.S. For those who see this as evidence of TiVo's unreliability, I'd point out my TiVo identified that there was a problem over a week before it would have actually caused me to miss recordings. As it is, I've missed nothing. Although I would like twin integrated DvB tuners, I'll be surprised if tartan_haggis' shiny new Topfield PVR is this reliable over the next 5 years!

15. OzSat

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Just one of those things - usually disk errors are visable on screen - and often you can hear them.

16. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    I'll be surprised if its as reliable as a Tivo over even the next month. ;) :p

What a pity Tartan Haggis didn't try rerunning Guided Setup first. :(

17. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    Given that the daily call is failing, I did not want to try GS as this could render my TiVo useless if it can't connect to the servers.

Now that the Topfield is here, I might give GS a go. For the record, no the Topfield isn't as good as TiVo!! But at least I can still use it without paying £10/month just for the guide data, and record two programmes at a time while still watching a third. The user interface is rubbish compared to TiVo, but if you install the iGuide TAP (Topfield Application Program) then it looks OK.

TiVo has unrivalled reliability, but unfortunately totally useless without guide data.

I'll try GS and let you know! If it works, then I guess I'll be left with the best of both worlds :)

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    But a second Tivo complete with a Lifetime Sub could have been yours off Ebay for less than the price of a Topfield. ;)

And by networking them both and using Sanderton's conflict resolve feature you could also have overcome the recordings clash issue........................................

I will be interested to hear how you get on with re-running Guided Setup.

19. tartan_haggis

tartan_haggis MacTiVo

Jun 13, 2005
    Cambridgeshire
    Well, GS worked! So I am now blessed with both TiVo and Topfield - at least I could carry on recording stuff in the meantime.

Funny how a number of us on here had the same problem ... our TiVo's couldn't all have corrupted surely??

20. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    Perhaps some kind of end of year database change that impacted on those of you who had databases that were already partially corrupted in some way. Or perhaps your boxes rebooted at some point in the past while the Tivo was in the process of Reindexing after the Daily Call and hence corrupting the database which then became gradually worse over time....