No Ethernet cable or COAX to bedroom

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Dflint, Jun 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dflint

Dflint New Member

Jun 26, 2018

Advertisements

Apologies if this has been already covered. I am new to this forum.
    Has anyone used the TP LINK AV-600 to connect a Mini?
    Or possibly recommend something better?
    Thanks in advance!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    You may want to look for some rated with higher throughput as you normally only get a small fraction of the rated speeds and I would also look for some with a "pass through" AC port on the outside so you can still use the outlet for something else.
    I would also suggest purchasing from somewhere with a friendly return policy just in case these won't get the job done for you. If that happens, you might want to consider trying a wireless bridge/ Ethernet adapter which some here have used successfully, but you will need a decent router and robust wireless network.
    Also if you google "best" anything, you will usually find several ratings/ lists of products.

Dflint and Mikeguy like this.
  4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What is the model of your router? I hesitate to suggest a wireless solution unless you have a really good router and the environment (physical stuff) is reasonable. My Mini and Roamio units are using a variety of wireless bridges.

5. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014

Advertisements

I use the TP-LINK AV1200 3-Port Gigabit Passthrough Powerline Adapters with my Mini.

Haven’t had any problems with them (although they are a bit bulky).

Dflint and Mikeguy like this.
  6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The only problem with the Powerline adapters is that they don't work through a UPS. So if the power goes out, so will the powerline adapter. Which is why I never set them up for my GF. And set her up with WiFi.

krkaufman likes this.
  7. Dflint

Dflint New Member

Jun 26, 2018
    DSL Modem: ZyXel C1100Z

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not a good choice. Stick with powerline. All my equipment is on a UPS.

Dflint likes this.
  9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    So are you saying your powerline adapters are connected to a UPS and they still provide a network connection? All the ones I looked at a few years ago would not work through a surge protector or a ups.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I am wireless only. I live in a very old house with really bad power.

Dflint likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe @JoeKustra was also offering his opinion that the OP’s wireless router may not be capable of supporting TiVo connectivity via wireless bridges. So a wireless solution wouldn’t be as simple as just adding known-good wireless bridges at each TiVo location.

Dflint likes this.
  12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The general comment a few years back was that Powerline would not work well through a surge protector, due to a large hit on the data speed. More recently, though, I've seen reviews of some Powerline adapters stating that a surge protector could be used--although there might be a data speed hit, it would not be a death knell. I wonder if this is a reflection of increased data speeds, which more easily "absorb" a data speed hit.

Dflint likes this.
  13. Dflint

Dflint New Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Thanks everyone for responding!
    Considering all this I'm going to find a way to run an Ethernet cable to the bedroom!

fcfc2 and JoeKustra like this.
  14. stini777

stini777 Member

Mar 15, 2016
    One other possibility might be a Mesh router. I recently bought Google Wifi and each unit has an ethernet port on it. The Mini in my bedroom is connected via Mocha and works well so I didn't want to mess with a good thing, but in theory if you put one of the Google Wifi units in your bedroom and set it up near the Mini, you could run an ethernet cable from the Google Wifi to the Mini. A lot of the Mesh routers have ethernet ports (I was also considering the Netgear Orbi). I haven't tested this so it's just a theory but I thought I'd throw it out there.

15. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am assuming you are a DSL customer with that modem/router. It is old and single band 2.4GHz only, if you need it for the DSL modem, consider getting a separate wireless AP with dual band AC rated speeds, one of the Dlink DAP-1650's go for about $25 right now and will give you dual band AC 1200 speeds. Even if you go with finding a way to run your Ethernet cable something like the Dlink would be a major improvement to your wireless.
    The least expensive MESH system will run you about 10x+ that price.

16. vurbano

vurbano Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Benn using thses for years in 3 different houses.
    Linksys WUMC710 Wireless-AC Universal Media Connector

Mikeguy likes this.
  17. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I have used the TP LINK AV-600 with my Tivo mini for several months now, and have been extremely happy with this.

Actually, I have AV-500 in some rooms and AV-600 in others. They all work together just fine.

A couple of observations......

If you do experience difficulty, then the source of your problem will likely be the electric outlet(or electric wiring) in your house. Not the TP Link product itself.

For example, I have a room with 4 electric outlets. 2 of them work great with the TP Link but the other 2 function poorly. I could not explain why the diference.

Also, as you may know, occasionally your TP Link will need to be reset if your house loses power. That is something to keep an eye on.

One of my favorite things about the TP Link products is the nice little software program which comes included for free. It will display for you the quality of each of your TP Link connections(strong, medium, or weak). It is very simple to use.

Also, I am not sure if this is true, but I have heard several people mention that these TP Link products need to be plugged in directly to the electric outlet. So you should not plug your TP link into a power strip, or UPS device, or things of that nature.

On a side note.... I have a TP Link powerline device plugged into a small ethernet switch, and that works just fine too.

All in all, you may need to do a bit of playing around with the TP Link powerline. But overall it definitely does work great for me and yes, I would highly recommend it.

TC

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Mikeguy likes this.