No DVRs on the Network

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cwnelson, Aug 10, 2007.

1. cwnelson

cwnelson Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Near...
    Hello,

I have seen a few old threads on this, and if there's a running one I can't find it, so I apologize if I'm being redundant. I have a series 2 40 Tivo through a wireless network, and I have been transfering files for a long time. I haven't tried to do this for a few weeks, but now the Tivo Server shows no DVRs on the network though my Tivo is working fine. I have tried all the standard fixes, like rebooting the Tivo, rebooting the computer, restarting the modem and router, updating firmware and rdrivers, disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter. I also updated to version 2.5. No luck. Anyone out there have a way I can fix or at least diagnose the problem? I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks. Oh and I should admit that I am not a computer whiz,; so the more detailed the solution is, the better.

2. JacksTiVo

JacksTiVo TiVo User since 2001

Jan 7, 2006
    New Jersey
    Is the TiVo still connected to the Internet and receiving info from TiVo? That will confirm that the wireless network adapter is okay.
    Check to see that you have no IP address conflicts, i.e. the IP address you assigned to your TiVo is not the same as another device or PC on your network. If you have the know how, you may want to assign specific IP addresses to each device (PC, printer, TiVo, etc.) on your network instead of allowing the router to automatically do it whenever a device reconnects to the network. You may also want to redo the TiVo network setup and assign a higher IP address to it so that it will not conflict with one automatically assigned by your router.

If you do not know how to assign IP addresses or see if there are conflicts, then try rebooting in this exact order:
    Turn-off/shutdown your modem, router, PC, TiVo
    1) Start modem, after it reboots,
    2) Start your router, after it finishes rebooting,
    3) Start your PC and after it connects to your network,
    4) Start the TiVo.

This allows the router to assign a specific IP address as each device connects to it after the device reboots.

3. cwnelson

cwnelson Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Near...
    Thanks Jack. I just noticed an error message that says there's an IP address conflict on the network, so that sounds like the problem, especially since the Tivo is receiving info from the network as usual.

I'm Afraid I don't know how to personally assign IP addresses to elements on my network, but this sounds like a relatively simple thing, and a useful trick, if anyone can guide me through that.

In the meantime I'll try your solution when I get home from work today.

Thanks

4. cwnelson

cwnelson Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Near...
    Sorry for the double post; I didn't want to start another thread. Nothing I have tried here works. Tivo Desktop still searches for a DVR and cannot find it. At one time I was showing an IP address conflict but it appears that that is not the case any longer. I have a Tivo full of shows I need to clear out of it and I am running out of space fast. I'd like to assign different IP addresses to everything but I have never done this and I am afraid of making the problem worse. Can anyone help? Thanks!