No Doctor Who Season Five until 2010! *SPOILERS IN NEWS ARTICLE*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spikedavis, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1 of 27
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Season "Four" starts next year-2008, but they are taking a year off before we see season "Five"! But at least it's confirmed that David Tennet will be sticking around!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2007/09_september/03/who.shtml

Doctor Who to return for fifth series in 2010

David Tennant to return to the Tardis

After months of media speculation, BBC One can confirm that the Bafta-award winning Doctor Who will return for a fifth series in spring 2010.

Viewers are in for a treat this Christmas, as a special episode starring David Tennant and Kylie Minogue will be broadcast on BBC One in December 2007. Series four, which went into production in July 2007, will hit UK screens in spring 2008 with a special episode for Christmas 2008.

In 2009, Doctor Who will return with three specials starring David Tennant, with Head Writer, Russell T Davies. The full length fifth series will transmit in 2010.

Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction, says: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas. Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010."

Menna Richards, Controller, BBC Wales, says: "The success of Doctor Who is a fantastic tribute to the dedication and expertise of the production team at BBC Wales who have worked on the project from the outset. This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience. BBC Wales is looking forward to producing the fifth series."

Following the critically acclaimed season three finale, the BBC has announced that Catherine Tate is set to return to the Tardis for the complete 13-week run of series four of Doctor Who, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special. Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of Martha Jones in series three, is also set to return mid series four.

2. Sep 4, 2007 #2 of 27
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    At least there will be three specials. If they are longer like the Christmas espiodes it'll be kind of like a mini season.

I'm always amazed that the British can watch TV like this. You get like 12 episodes a year, and now not even that. I have a hard time in the US with shows like Dead Zone and The 4400 because it's so long between seasons I almost forget they are on. If it weren't for the TiVo I would probably miss them all together.

3. Sep 4, 2007 #3 of 27
    Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    My guess is that David Tennant is wanting to film a movie and can't do it with the Doctor Who episodes going on.

4. Sep 4, 2007 #4 of 27
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    It's my understanding that the British channels do something like 2 or 3 seasons a year. However, they import most of our shows, so they can rotate them around.

5. Sep 4, 2007 #5 of 27
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    He is acting with the Royal Shakespeare Company at the same time as Season 5 would normally be filmed. He will be doing "Love's Labours Lost" and "Hamlet" (which also stars Patrick Stewart).

6. Sep 4, 2007 #6 of 27
    Agatha Mystery

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I figured he had to be doing something. Good for him.

7. Sep 4, 2007 #7 of 27
    pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I thought that too, but we only get 12 episodes of Doctor Who a year. I guess they rotate around other shows as well, so you get Doctor Who for a season, then Torchwood, then Jekyll or something like that.

I'm glad the BBC was able to work something out so they could keep David Tennant. He's rapidly becoming my favorite Doctor.

8. Sep 4, 2007 #8 of 27
    Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy Purveyor of Idiocy

Nov 19, 2002
    Somewhere...
    I so agree with this. I'm glad they're working with him.

I remember being doubtful about his casting. Chris Eccleston was a hard act to follow. I am so pleased that Tennant has proved me wrong.

9. Sep 4, 2007 #9 of 27
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    They need a better companion then Martha to go with him, and I don't mean Catherine Tate, she will get annoying fast.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    We only saw one subset of her character in that episode. In that episode, she was playing a "bridezilla" type character... since that aspect isn't a factor anymore, she probably will be much easier to handle on a weekly basis.

11. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'll vote for fewer episodes per season if they can cut out the "filler" episodes that most if not all series seem to have. It's tough to come up with quality scripts for two dozen or so episodes a year. Midsomer Murders is one of my very favorite shows and it has only 6 or 7 new episodes a year, and that's fine. I'd rather they spend the time to produce a higher quality product than try to fill an arbitrary number of shows per season.

And yeah, that's one of the things my TiVo is for..... keeping track of what is on.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I remember when (I think) Russell Davies had a public cry over how hellish it was having to do 13 Doctor Whos AND 13 Torchwoods---ALL IN ONE YEAR!!!

One of the Stargate producers had a good, bitter public laugh over that one...

It is most definitely a different world over there.

13. kemajor

kemajor Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Wichita, KS
    Not me. Tennant just grinds on my nerves. I would be much happier if Eccelston somehow returned.

- Kelly

14. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    David Tennant: :up:
    Catherine Tate: :thumbsdown:
    Freema Agyeman: :up:

15. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    My problem isn't with Freema, it's with how Martha was handled, her emotional connection to The Doctor seemed like it just picked up where Rose left off. She grew deeply attached way to quickly.

16. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    If there are no big-time changes, I think Tennant is in for the long-haul.

For a true fanboy, it has to be a temptation to go for Tom Baker's record, and to be the Doctor of record in the FIFTIETH anniversary of the program (2013)!

17. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    They [read/go out/do anything besides watch the telly] more than we do. :D

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You even got to see a hint of the less grating version of the character near the end of the episode.

19. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    However, Rose was coming off a boyfriend situation and Martha isn't.

20. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I really remember liking Eccelston, but watching some of the eps with him over the weekend (not with him, he wasn't over at my place....well you know what I mean) it was REALLY hard to get used to him again. He was really quirky and over the top compared to Mr. T.