NO DHCP Server with Moca

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hershey4, Aug 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Nothing has changed in my Tivo environment (3 years) and all of a sudden my Premier4 is showing no DHCP error. I have a Moca network, but not really sure the details how that interacts with the DHCP Server. Is the DHCP Server something in the router? Or is it served up from my ISP? If the latter, perhaps that could mean this is a temporary comcast issue???

Very confused. Just got into Netflix's Bloodline on a temporary Netflix subscription and want to get back to it. Everything else except streaming seems to be fine. Even the mini in the bedroom is usable. PC and phone wifi great.

I have a neighbor's wifi I can try with, but not sure if that's related or where I would change the SSID. I couldn't find my SSID in Tivo's network settings. I assumed that's because of Moca.

Help Please!:confused:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Could you try switching your Premier to use manually configured IP address settings, rather than using DHCP? (Modify Ethernet Settings)

See here.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Though... have you tried rebooting your router?

4. BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    Yeah, I'd reboot the router, and then if that doesn't appear to resolve it, restart your Tivo.

5. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I did reset the router initially with no change. I'll try rebooting Tivo but it does seem a long shot. I couldn't try that last night during prime time viewing and lose all my buffers :)

I don't think I can switch network settings to something else. Wouldn't I need a network adapter? I browsed the moca settings but didn't see anything modifiable.

And of course the Tivo is too far away from the router for hardwire ethernet.

Jeez, and I don't even have a landline here for programming updates beyond streaming. gulp.

Can a Moca adapter go bad? Does the fact that the mini in the Bedroom work prove the Moca adapter is ok.

And just what is a DHCP server? I googled it but basically got acronym definition. Not real layman description.

6. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    rebooting Tivo no help but I found a clue in the router log from after I rebooted it last night:

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]

How? WHy? where?

Here's more of the log in reverse chronological order. (I think the times are 3 hours off PST/EST)

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, August 19,2016 17:32:02
    [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: XXX.125.32.129, port 443, Friday, August 19,2016 17:30:58
    [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address xxxxxxxxx1d:b7:6a, Friday, August 19,2016 17:30:49
    [DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: XXX.125.32.129, port 443, Friday, August 19,2016 17:28:58
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.39] to MAC address xxxxxxxx:4b:07, Friday, August 19,2016 17:28:20
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.18] to MAC address xxxxxxxx:d6:05, Friday, August 19,2016 17:28:09
    [DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address xxxxxxx:a5:74:9d, Friday, August 19,2016 17:27:58
    [Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.0.44] Friday, August 19,2016 17:27:55

I blanked out chunks of the address for security. Apparently the MacID ending in 6A is my Tivo.

What does this mean? Was my Tivo hacked?

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    Were you using a wireless adapter to connect your Premiere to the router? This would be one of those usb adapters going to the back of the Premiere.
    If not using wireless, how were you connecting your Premiere to the router/internet?
    Were you using an additional MoCA adapter or is your router/gateway MoCA enabled?
    DHCP is normally handled by the router. You have some external / cable modem which provides access to the internet (WAN or Wide Area Network). This is what is referred to as your public IP address. The router takes this connection and allows all of your devices, wired and wireless, to connect to that external internet. The router uses DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) to give "sub" addresses to all of your devices.

8. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    no its on a moca network

the latter. I have a single MoCA adapter sitting next to the router. I forget the order of Moca/Router/Modem, but it was the original and required setup to get Mini and host talking. (although I've read contradictions about the "required' part. It was required here per Tivo).

Its unclear if MOCA is involved in this issue at all. I think it may be a red herring. I think I may have to call Tivo customer service. I think the problem lies elsewhere. But I am going to look for a long ethernet just to try anyhow. I may have one somewhere. I vaguely recall having one and discarding it. But maybe I didn't discard it. Hoping my packrat tendencies kicked in....

If I list possible culprits, only logical one is the P4. I think.
    • modem - OK have catv, internet/wifi fine
    • router - ditto. phone,pc,printer all on wifi. DHCP enabled per IPCONIF/ALL on my PC wifi-connection
    • MoCA Adapter - Mini is talking to host just fine and Host receiving CATV
    • Mini - ditto
    • Premier4 - must be the culprit???

Is there anything else? Tivo Server? If so, Tivo Customer Service would be involved.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  9. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I would double check your Premiere network settings and make sure it is set to "connect via MoCA" not create a MoCA network. I would also google my router settings and see how to enable a fixed/static/reserved IP for my Tivos and after doing so, reboot everything, router and Tivos.
    If you can find that long Ethernet cable and can get the Premiere to connect to your network ok, but it fails again when you try MoCA, the only other option I can think of is to invest in another MoCA adapter and use that near your Premiere. Good luck

10. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Those choices look like the action choices when setting up. It has already been "connected via MoCA". I am on a MoCA connection. However, what about just disconnecting and reconnecting as Moca? That might be prove interesting (or be a total waste of time). I did click Change Settings just to see if there was anything interesting to change. Only the Moca channel - 15. Not sure what that means.

But if the Tivo is not showing up as an Attached Device, I can't make the address static. I think that's the case. THe existing attached devices are poorly named so I'm not sure which are which. But I think I have seen Tivo named properly in the past (but maybe my distant series 2 past). there's nothing there now with Tivo in the name.

When I was poking around the router advanced settings to make devices static, I only found something called "create a static route" which had a lot of settings I would have to think carefully about. My old router had "reserve address" which was simple and easy. Don't see that here. I'll have to RTFM.

Found it. It's long but still about 5' too short. :( I can possibly move the TV that amount just to test it. What is the physical connection to do? I assume Tivo box has a ethernet port somewhere and Router too. What do I do with the MoCA Adapter during this? Anything to disconnect on the Tivo box?

Sequence is? connect ethernet to 2 places. disconnect MoCA? change Tivo network settings to "use ethernet instead"? Reboot what in what order?

On the Network Connection screen currently where it says Moca Network... Failed to Connect (router problem), there is an IP address and a MAC ID. What do each of those belong to?

Is there any point in trying another channel? (router and/or Tivo/Moca above)

Thanks for coming up with suggestions.

11. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    The MoCA channel is unlikely to be having anything to do with the missing Tivo DVR, if it is "missing".
    You can try to determine what subnet your router uses, often 192.168.1.1, and then look at the network settings on the missing Tivo. Are they on the same subnet as your router? It should be.
    You can set a fixed/static IP in the Tivo's settings as a last resort, but make sure the IP you give it is not already in use.
    Look in the network settings on the problem Tivo, under network status, you should see all the network information currently in use, IP, subnet mask, gateway IP, etc. Pretty much everything but the last set of IP numbers should be the same as your mini. Are they?
    If not, you can try manually configuring those settings on the Tivo, but change those last IP numbers to something different but not in use. When finished, save it and reboot the Tivo...still no joy, reboot the router. Report back....

12. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    There's no network to look at. Tivo is "not connected to the internet" ... "no DHCP Server".

I'm on my way to Best Buy to buy a 50' ethernet cable. Hope I can find a cheap one. AMazon has several under $10. Best Buy probably $20-30 :-(

I think it may be time to finally buy a tablet too so I can finish streaming Bloodline on Netflix while this internet problem is resolved. Tivo Customer Service is next up too. Waiting for their opening time on opposite coast.

My Guide information is only good until 8/25. That is urgent. Hopefully the ethernet cable will at least let me connect and update the guide manually every 2 weeks if this problem is prolonged. I hope Tivo will do scheduled recordings w/o internet at least before 8/25.

I made a diagram of all the existing connectoins moca/router/modem. I have to study it first to see what I need to do to swap in ethernet (and have a guide to put MoCA back together)

This really stinks. waaaaaa

13. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Called Tivo customer service. First contact just did the basics that I had been doing. (reset router, reboot tivo, change Moca Channel to auto). No change. Of course, they won't wait on the phone while Tivo reboots. I was glad though because I didn't have a lot of confidence with first tech. Second tech starts asking about equipment and the Moca network... adapter or moca-enabled router? Answer: adapter. Need to reset that. Voila! So rediculously simple! Didn't even need to reboot Tivo.

There are 3 lights on the adapter. Power/Ethernet/Coax. Only Power was lit. How the adapter got undone is curious, but I don't care. How the mini and the Premier could still talk is also curious, but I don't care.

And now I have a spanking new 50' ethernet cable as backup. And a new backup streaming device ... Samsung Tab S2 9.7" 32GB 3GB RAM. I deserve something special for this Tivo hiccup inconvenience!

:D:D:D:D

14. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    just a funny postscript to this issue... last night in the middle of the night we had deluges of rain downpours and it woke me up. I put on the bedroom mini to help me fall back to sleep. About 20 minutes later, Poof! Error message... Tivo Lost connection with Living Room DVR! I became fully awakened and pissed. I figured the moca adapter must be busted worse. So I went to take a walk around the house and I put on the Living Room unit. Very pleased (but still annoyed) to see message "Update in progress... please wait...".

You would think they might not push the update if system is in use, but maybe they don't care or maybecan't check the mini.

All's still well with network. I will probably be nervous about recurrence for awhile but soon I will forget.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    By "reset" do you mean power the adapter off, and then back on, or did you do a factory reset on the adapter using its 'Reset' button?

16. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Pulled out power adapter.

But speaking of that, it reminds me of a "light bulb" moment during this entire troubleshooting event. Early in troubleshooting, I had "reset" the router with the reset button (which is always what I have done to get a new IP address). But the next day I wondered if that was a valid power reset to cause a full network reboot for this particular problem when I realized my router is plugged into a UPS battery backup. live and learn... no diff in this case, but something to remember.

17. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Thank goodness for TivoCommunity!!! I just experienced the same problem with my Moca Adapter as I did in 2016. I was scratching my head for awhile until I remembered this thread. Came here to find the solution....again! Pulled out power on Moca Adapter and back in business. Yay!!!