no Closed Captioning onto DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by IEBA, Oct 26, 2006.

1. IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas

Advertisements

I'm recording content for my father who is hard of hearing and he asked me why the shows I record don't have closed captioning. :( I know there's something funky about how DVD's have to have CC embedded manually, but I thought shows recorded off TV would keep the captioning they come with. Is this not the case or is there something we can do about it?

Thanks!

2. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    I own both a Toshiba RS-TX20 & Humax DRT800 (I assume you're talking about one of these or the essentially identical Pioneer TiVo DVD burner?)

CC info does get saved to DVD, but they DON'T show up as a Subtitle on the DVD. None of my DVD players seems to propagate CC info, but when I play the disc on a PC, SOME software apps (Nero Showtime, perhaps, and possibly Cyberlink PowerDVD) allow me to turn on CC info and it shows up perfectly.

3. IEBA

IEBA Anthony

Oct 3, 2006
    Dallas
    Yes, I have a Pioneer 810h - love it.

I will try to see if I can get any closed captioning on the computers but my father and I are both Mac users. I'll also try one of those hand-held portable DVD players. It would be really cool if CC was actually transferred. !!

Anthony

4. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    The Pioneer is quite a bit different than the Humax/Toshiba from what I can tell. I think Pioneer might actually have been the manufacturer of their own unit, it's quite different inside from most any other standalone TiVo. It's also essentially a 240 unit, where the Humax/Toshiba is based on the 540 units.

I'm pretty sure the closed captioning has shown up on every DVD I've burned with the Humax. The closed captioning doesn't work with transferred shows though :(

5. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD

Advertisements

(Agreed on the 240/540 innards ... functionally they're identical, in terms of the recording formats, within certain parameters, and the burn format to DVD)

And even if CC worked on transferred shows, you couldn't burn them on any of these units. Or were you talking about TTG'ed shows to the PC?

6. Chester_Lampwick

Chester_Lampwick Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Hamilton,...
    Actually I was talking about ripping a DVD to mpeg on a PC then transferring with TiVo ToGo to the TiVo.

7. bedelman

bedelman Call me Bob

Feb 26, 2001
    Crystal...
    I know from back when I first got the Pioneer 810H that closed captions did appear when using Apple's DVD Player application. You can even set them to appear in their own separate window (or over the regular video playback window)

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    The DVDs we burn on our 810H have analog CC passed through -- as long as the player can decode CC we get CC. We do have to use A/V connections, instead of component video, though.

9. Nov 1, 2006 #9 of 10
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Since on analog TV the closed captioning is actually carried in a "hidden line" of video information (which CC decoders can then extract and insert into the picture), if the video has been recorded onto a DVD, I can't see why the closed caption information wouldn't be there as well.

Makes no sense that it wouldn't be. The DVD has the info needed to recreate the TV picture. Why would that one line's worth be missing?

10. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    Overscan!

This was my thought, and conjectured reasoning as well.

Based on your patience, more reading!