No Cablevision switched video adapter (SVR) lawsuit?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by kmckean, Dec 10, 2008.

1. kmckean

kmckean New Member

Dec 3, 2008

Advertisements

If you've had trouble watching any of the below channels from Cablevision (Optimum) on Tivo, you're not alone. As many of you perhaps know, Cablevision cut out the Voom Network channels -- including great ones like the Kung Fu channel, Monster HD and others -- last April. Basically, to watch these you would need a switched video adapter -- but none exists for Cablevision, at least as far as I can tell from talking to their tech rep & searching. So two questions for the group:

1) Has anyone solve this problem aside from the suggestion offered earlier by a Cablevision tech in this forum? (pasted below)

2) For any attorneys among us, would it be worth taking Cablevision to court to force them to provide an adapter? A class action suit, perhaps? I live in Westchester County just north of New York City.

Kevin

Channels that you are missing:
    710, 714, 720, 722, 723, 724, 728, 729, 734, 776, 777, 778, 779, 785, 786.

Two helpful past links from this forum on the topic:
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387730
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387809

And finally, the earlier post from Slider10 that offers a suggested fix (it appears about midway down in thread #2 above):

Hey guys. I work for said company and looked into this for you guys. First, it's NOT all HD channels that are affected. There are 15 HD channels that we offer that I believe are exclusive to IO HD. I don't know why a switch is needed. That isn't told to us.

Here's the run-down of what you'll lose: 710, 714, 720, 722, 723, 724, 728, 729, 734, 776, 777, 778, 779, 785, 786.

You will be able to keep ALL other HD channels via CableCard.

Here's the good news: To help offset this, anyone who calls up can get a cablebox capable of recieving these channels at no charge for 1 year. All you have to do is swap your cablecard for the box at any of our cable stores.

My personal recommendation is keep 1 cablecard for primary viewing and set the box to the second tuner so you can watch those extra channels with no problems. The box has component outputs so you will still get a HD-quality picture.

Hope this helps you guys!

PS- I'm not speaking on behalf of the company. I'm just a TiVo-lover who wants to help you guys with some basic info.

2. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK

There isn't any way to "set" the box to the second tuner. The HD capable Tivos have no way to control a cable box. Not to mention, if you have a Tivo HD or HDXL you're likely only using one m type cablecard.

As to the rest, I'm not sure what the best recourse is. I don't have Cablevision nor has my provider implemented SDV yet. I'm also not sure how wide spread the tuning adapter is with any of the companies, I've only seen a handful of people on the forum who actually have one.

3. joedandrea

joedandrea TiVo Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008
    Basking...
    I got the same suggestion. For reasons already posted in this thread, it's a non-starter for me.

Anyway, I'm tired of waiting, and will probably vote with my wallet. I am this close (picture my thumb and forefinger 1cm apart) to moving my digital TV, three VoIP lines and two internet connections over to Verizon FiOS when it officially becomes available on my street (1 Feb 2009).

If VZN agrees to lock in the rate in exchange for a multi-year commitment, so much the better.

4. JerseyRU

JerseyRU New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Well as much as they are dragging their feet on it, Cablevision is working on putting out an adapter:
    http://www.optimum.com/right_now/switched_vid.html

It just seems like they are blaming TiVo for the delay, when there are adapters already out there from other companies.

5. Jan 4, 2009 #5 of 11
    mlear

mlear New Member

Dec 14, 2002

Advertisements

I'm not seeing where they are blaming tivo in your link above.

I'm disappointed that these Tuning Adapters were supposed to be available to us 2Q08, and it's now 1Q09, and we don't have anything to show for it.

6. Jan 5, 2009 #6 of 11
    applemasker

applemasker New Member

Mar 4, 2007
    It all may be moot since Cablevision is pulling the plug on VOOM later this month.

7. jon01

jon01 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    long...
  8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The 2008 delivery was a pipe dream from the start. If you really care, you can browse this forum for my posts which voiced skepticism for this target from the very beginning. They have begun deployment in several markets, however, and here in San Antonio (one of the very first markets for SDV deployment), they began issuing the Tuning Adapters yesterday. I've got three, and they seem to work fine. I don't know which system your CATV provider employs, but Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) systems are beginning to get the adapter. I haven't heard of any Motorola markets receiving the TA, yet, but a little pressure from you on the CATV senior management team and your local franchise authority (and mentioning other CATV franchises already have them) can't hurt.

9. Feb 4, 2009 #9 of 11
    Keith Elkin

Keith Elkin Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Does anyone know what Cablevision channels require tuning adapters? (Specifically Cablevison of Brookhaven?)

10. JZ1276

JZ1276 Member

Aug 20, 2008
    I'm in Elmont and the channels I no longer get after cutting out the Voom channels are
    771 CNBC HD
    772 Encore HD
    773 Starz Kids & Family HD
    774 Starz Edge HD
    775 HBO Signature HD
    776 HBO Family HD
    777 HBO Comedy HD
    778 HBO Zone HD
    779 HBO2 HD
    780 TMC HD .
    This really pisses me off. Before I knew about the whole SDV thing I called Cablevision and had a tech come here to fix the problem. I had heard something about tuner adapters and asked him about them and he had no idea what I was talking about and neither did the other tech he was talking to on his phone. He took out my M card and replaced it with 2 S cards and of course it did not work. Now I have 2 S cards sticking out of my Tivo bc they are too big to close the front panel. I called again and made another appt to replace the S cards with an M card. When the tech got here I asked him right away if he had brought the M card and he said "why would I do that if you;re having a problem with your cable box"? LOL Cablevision pisses me off they suck.

11. Meistergeek

Meistergeek New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Crotn on...
    I have been contacting Cablevision regularly over the past year regarding this issue :thumbsdown: and they continue to avoid answering in straight talk. Generally, at first the CSR has no idea what you are referring to. But pressed, they point you to the standardized tidbits of absolute no commitment statements from their website. The latest comment I got when asking for a firm date this week was as follows:

"Thank you for your reply,

At this time we do not have a set date. However, Cablevision will keep customers in formed in the upcoming months
    on our website."

It is obvious that Cablevision could not care less about the 16000+ cablecard customers, so I am now moving to the Public Service Commission, with an official complaint. :mad: