No cable in New college dorm

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Aug 19, 2017.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    So, I moved my daughter into a freshly rehabbed dorm at Texas state today. Mother and Daughter are doing fine...

I was surprised when I couldn't find a coax outlet for the tv I bought her. I sent her downstairs to ask, she comes back and says - they have full wifi in all the rooms instead of cable.

It is a Roku tv and she has every app and service imaginable - but I asked her if she wanted me to run out and pick her up an HD antenna for local channels.

"No dad, I don't really watch regular TV except for a few channels". This, I suspect, is really an indication of the future.

Oh well, I guess I will need to copy her favorites down to Plex...

Does KMTTG allow you to auto download a specific series as a service after they are recorded?

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Or maybe the past, there were no TVs in dorms when I went to college and I didn't bother to buy one for the first few years I lived in an apartment. Had better things to do than watch TV back then, plus I really didn't have the money. Also didn't have a land line phone (cell phones and Internet didn't exist) in college or my first apartment. Honestly people in college should not be wasting their time watching TV/video or looking at some small screen all day.

mdavej likes this.
  3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I went to college after a few years in the army - 86 to 92

We had a limited basic cable package and a landline telephone in every room and was part of the room rate. Both the telephones and now, apparently, the cable are just part of history classes.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I'm pretty sure that I never watched one minute of tv when I was in college. Nor do I remember my kids watching tv either. Plenty of other things to keep you occupied. If I were you, I wouldn't bother enabling anything.

JBDragon and mdavej like this.
  5. davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    We had no cable in the dorm back when I was in college. One side of the dorm got Detroit stations on antennas, while the other side got Toledo stations. The Toledo station that carried Star Trek: The Next Generation showed it three days earlier than the Detroit station did, so once a week a good portion of the dorm's population went over to the other side of the dorm to watch TNG! (It was the dorm with the greatest concentration of engineering students...)

6. Jim1348

Jim1348 Active Member

Jan 3, 2015
    I was an undergraduate student from 1978-1981. I was fortunate in that I finished my bachelor's degree in 3 academic years. I didn't bother with a television in my dorm room because they had a television in the lounge. Reruns of MASH were already on back then. It had one heck of a following in my college. So much so, that the TV lounge was pretty much at capacity from 4:30 to 5:00 for the MASH re-run. Then, when local TV news came on, most of the lounge went to the cafeteria. Then, at 5:30, another MASH re-run came on and the lounge would fill up again!

7. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    No TV either in any dorm room at my college in the late 90s. We had one for the entire dorm in the main lounge. That was it.

8. waynomo

waynomo My One Time TCF Club

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    I've never tried it, but there is the "Auto Transfers" tab. It looks like it should be able to do it.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We had a suite style dorm so for the 5 rooms per suite there was a common room with a TV and cable. I don't recall watching too much TV during those years either.

My son's dorm had cable TV in his room so we got a small LCD and an HD for him and roommate. I know they watched a little since they had the TiVo to time shift but not too much.

Scott

10. sdawson

sdawson New Member

Aug 18, 2016
    Albany, Oregon
    As we are reminiscing about college tv back in the day, I'll join in.

Went to Oregon State, back in '81-85.

Dorm rooms not only did not have TV, they also did not have phones, nor restrooms. The room was basically just big enough for a bunk bed and two desks, yet we had all we needed to attend college. There was a huge lounge on the first floor with a TV. I recall it was packed with folks sitting on the floor during the MASH final episode, including me. I don't recall if the TV was OTA or cable. But, really, there is little time to watch TV during college. I have two girls in college now who agree.

There was a public restroom and shower facility on each floor (locker room style) for the dorm residents. And there was a phone in the hallway for use.

As my daughters also attend a state college, I find it very disturbing that room and board actually costs more than tuition now. Rooms are more like apartments than my old vision of dorm rooms. This has added to the increased cost of college tuition.

11. AntiPC

AntiPC Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Chicago,...
    Here's my 13" college TV.
    [​IMG]
    I got it for Christmas in 1985. I remember thinking it was pretty good for a Korean, no-name outfit called Samsung.

Oldest daughter went off to college in 2006 with a 27" Vizio LCD and a series 2. Tivo support had to help her with the weird channel lineup for the "cable" in the dorm. She currently has directTV.

Middle daughter took a 17" Vizio LCD to school in 2011, and never used the cable. She only streamed to it from her computer. She seems to watch everything from a plex server via Chromecast now.

Mikeguy likes this.
  12. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, got her all set up! She has a few favorites so I setup a quick auto transfer in kmttg. it will push to plex and she will be all set.

I am not sure she will use the tv much. I got a text from her a few minutes ago that she and her new roommate were running around campus having a great time.

IMG_1039.JPG

13. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    Get her one of those flat antenna's if she is in an area that will receive signal. No one say's she needs to use it, but I bet she does, at least for football games.

14. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007

Yeah, I offered... she just said she didn't care about it and told me to let it go.. :)

15. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I'll always remember in college in the early 90s watching Seinfeld every Thursday by holding the antenna at just that 'right' position. If I moved at all, there goes Seinfeld.

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I also went to college in the 80's.

Every door room at my school did have a wall-mounted telephone. I can’t remember at all how the billing worked.

The school provided a 27" or so color TV in each of a dormitory's "lounge" rooms. I remember they only received local channels but was a nice clear picture - they were hooked up via coax to a shared antenna way up on the dorm roof.

A very few students (me included) had our own TVs. Usually a small black and white TV with rabbit ear antenna. I don't remember anybody ever having color; probably due to expense. My B&W was 12” and I actually remember it costing a mere $49 at Service Merchandise.

I didn’t use it all that much… Would watch Letterman on it and I remember several of us gathering in my room every week to watch L.A. Law that we considered must-see TV for some reason.

17. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    I had a tiny TV for the NES. That made us popular. We hooked up an antenna to it and watched this new animated show called "The Simpsons." Other than that, we didn't use it much because there was no cable TV and we didn't watch much anyway.

The guys may have a TV to be used more like a monitor for the Xbox 360 or PS4. But I'm guessing they're not watching TV on it.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I remember in 1984 that I, like most of the people I ran into at college, had a small TV in their Dorm rooms. I remember that a bunch of people would gather around in a dorm room to watch events like the Oscars or Grammy Awards back then. But we only had antennas connected to the TV. And we also had a landline in the room.

For larger groups there were communal areas in each Dorm building that had a larger TV and also a VCR to play back video tapes.

I guess things have changed a lot over the last 30+ years.

Boy do I feel old now.:(

JBDragon likes this.
  19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Having cable (analog, of course) at college was what actually got me into being a "cable person". Before that, we just had an antenna.. and at home, TNG required moving the antenna 180 degrees in the other direction.. which obviously doesn't help unattended recording (I was already using VCR(s) by then). Even now, I think the VAST majority of what I watch is OTA stations, but having cable for a _mostly_ reliable signal (though in the last year I think I've had WAY more outages, like 3, than the people who complain about cable going out "all the time").. and now of course, Tivos that REQUIRE cable.

Though even at home after that, we were able to get HBO without a box -- it was trapped outside the home.. So "just use a splitter" was still viable.

20. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Those in college who want that occasional want to watch on cable/sat often just use the MVPD's (Dish, DirecTV, cable co.) app associated with with their parents account (given username and password) that provides streaming to a Roku, FireTV, etc. or even a Slingbox can do similar. The TiVo app on FireTV would meet a college dorm student very well, as on example. That would be how they would watch live or DVR's at home TV.