"Nikita" (CW remake) OAD 9/9/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Doggie Bear, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...

Advertisements

I absolutely loved the USA series "La Femme Nikita" (1997-2001), so I had reasonably high hopes for CW's re-imagining. I liked that the show description suggested a lot of homages to the previous series (and movie), but with a serious alteration so that it wasn't just another "hot female working as an undercover spy" series.

Having watched the pilot episode, I'm left with a feeling of "meh." I have to wonder if people who hadn't seen the USA series will "get" the nature of Division (it was Section One before), or if they'll just be confused about what Nikita did before and why she wants to destroy Division.

I also thought the back and forth between the flashbacks and the present weren't telegraphed clearly enough so that they were a bit jarring.

The twist at the end, where it's revealed that Nikita planted new recruit Alex into Division, was good.

Finally, maybe I have to give up my man-card for saying this, but there seemed to be gratuitous bikini shots of Nikita for no real reason other than to parade her around with very little clothing on. If I recall correctly, Peta Wilson's Nikita tended to be dressed more classily. (Well, the first season had her in a lot of slutty roles, but that's one reason I prefer seasons 2-4.)

Anyway, I'll continue watching, but I have to say, the "Covert Affairs" pilot grabbed me a lot more than this did.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    The show struck as some network exec, while in the shower one morning, going "OMG OMG OMG We need a spy series OMG!". And that being about the extent of their concern over storyline or character development.

Till the last few scenes revealing Alex's real role, the season pass was going to be deleted just 40 minutes after it was created. Now I'm keeping it for an episode or two more to see what happens.

3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I enjoyed it. To me it will be far better than a lot of the new dreck we'll also get.

And I think having Michael sort of liking/helping adds an interesting angle.

Yeah, I had serious deja vu for the scene when Alex woke up at Division.

4. caslu

caslu Active Member

Jun 24, 2003
    I really liked it and thought it was a more than decent remake of the original series (which I absolutely love... although I've disliked every movie version, from the 1990 French original to the pathetic US remake and the terrible Chinese rip offs). Of course, it helps that Maggie Q is the star here so I'll take the gratuitous bikini shots :).

Regarding "Covert Affairs"... I really want to like that show but it's dragging it's feet with boring plots and very little action. The pilot delivered but the following episodes have been quite pedestrian in their execution and I have a hard time believing the man responsible for "The Bourne Identity" is also the show runner for that show. Anyway, I do like it but I don't think it's living up to its potential.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

That gun with that dress was a bold choice. The woman can accessorize!

6. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Hi ALL,

I too was a very big fan of the USA series "La Femme Nikita" so I watched this with some trepidation! Well, while not the greatest it was not too bad!! Maggie Q certainly makes it worthwhile, but I have to agree some of the bikini shots were too gratuitous! Yes, certainly nice to look at but did nothing to advance the story!!!

For now I'll stick with it!

Gerry

P. S. Maggie Q is ALMOST too skinny!!!!!

7. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    +1. I was pleasantly surprised.
    But I agree - man that chick is skinny.

8. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Gratuitous bikini shots? A quick check shows that they're re-airing the pilot tonight. SP set.

9. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    She makes Gabrielle Anwar on Burn Notice look chubby.

10. Gerryex

Gerryex Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Hi ALL,

I had another question. In some of the show there was background music along with dialog. But I thought the music was way too loud and at times had trouble understanding the dialog through the music. Did anyone else feel the same way?

Gerry

11. gerbil42

gerbil42 New Member

Aug 26, 2003
    I spent quite a bit of spare brain processing time during the episode wondering where I knew Alex from, until I realized that she was Ted's future daughter from HIMYM.

12. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    I still don't get the making of a remake series just a short time after the original ends its run.

As I suggested not that long ago, maybe next the CW will remake Gilmore Girls too.

The whole idea is pretty pathetic.

13. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    "short time"? It's been nearly 10 years since La Femme Nikita was canceled...returned for 8 eps in early '01, and that was that...

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And this is hardly a remake. Say what you will about the quality, but they've certainly gone in a very different direction than the previous series.

15. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I agree with you on this. I did not see it coming and it was a plausible and somewhat pleasant surprise for me, so that made me want to give it some more time. Up to that point for me it was "pretty good."

16. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Same hear. The twist at the end makes me want to watch a couple more episodes.

17. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Pretty much how I felt. Not impressed, but the end helped a little, so I'll keep watching a few more episodes.

18. aforkosh

aforkosh Member

Apr 20, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    It's not a remake--it's closer to a sequel. The agency names and some of the characters names have changed--no original actors, but the previous series provides the backstory for this series.

19. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    Kind of a faint echo of Dollhouse? :D

20. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's kinda what I thought..although I gave up on DH a few eps in...