1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nightflyers (Syfy) Full Series Thread *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by gweempose, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Dec 4, 2018 #1 of 36
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Is anyone else watching this? I'm enjoying it so far. Two episodes in, and I'm definitely curious to find out what exactly is going on with the ship. It seems like some kind of evil entity is living inside the computer. Even the captain is somewhat of an enigma at this point. Is he an actual person, or just an AI?

The sets are pretty cool. I really like the overall design of the ship. The domes were clearly inspired by Silent Running.

What's the deal with the bee woman? Could anyone else besides Thale see her?

2. Dec 5, 2018 #2 of 36
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Watching. Also two episodes in. Enjoying it so far. I think I have an idea on what's happening:
    I think the ship is running an AI version of the captain's mother, or maybe her actual brain is hooked up to it, and she's somewhat bonkers

3. Dec 5, 2018 #3 of 36
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I forgot about this show. I'll start watching later this week.

4. Dec 5, 2018 #4 of 36
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I've seen the first couple of episodes and the end of episode 2 makes me think there's an evil computer onboard like HAL. The show looks interesting and is definitely quite dark. It's nice to see Gretchen Mol again. I really liked her in Boardwalk Empire.

5. Dec 5, 2018 #5 of 36
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The third episode answered many of my questions. There is indeed an evil entity inhabiting the ship's computer, and madscientist guessed correctly that it was the captain's mother. Unfortunately, this doesn't fully explain how she is able to manipulate people's minds in the real world. It seems like she is using information gleaned from the memory machine to conjure up disturbing images via the ship's holographic system, but it may be more complicated than that.

As for the captain, he is most definitely a real person. That was a great scene when he disarmed the guy on the bridge.

And the bee woman is clearly real as well. I'm still not sure why she had a swarm of bees around her, but perhaps that will be explained at some point.

6. Dec 5, 2018 #6 of 36
    gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I've never seen Boardwalk Empire, but I've had a crush on her ever since Life on Mars. :)

7. Dec 5, 2018 #7 of 36
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    You should watch the movie "The Thirteenth Floor". Not only is it a clever sci-fi flick, but Gretchen Mol has a big part in it and she is impossibly beautiful.

Rob Helmerichs likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2018 #8 of 36
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I've been trying to stream this show and it keeps buffering. I can stream off any other station. Anyone else have a problem?

9. Dec 5, 2018 #9 of 36
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    At the very start? When that happens to me in the Chrome browser, it means I haven't "allowed" the site to run Flash. For some reason, the "Ask" option never seems to actually ask. Once I set it to "Allow" and reload the page, it works fine.

stellie93 likes this.
  10. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I’m in also. Ep 2 is queued up.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    This show is better than I thought it would be. One thing I know, if I ever run into a powerful psychic it's going to be "Yes, sir Mr. L1, sir! How can I help you, sir?"

It's probably explained how it's done in the book but the real time, no delay conversations the lead scientist guy has with his wife a zillion miles away on earth bugs me a little.

Tony_T likes this.
  12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched E1 and am completely underwhelmed. I started losing interest about half way through, but I'll give it another episode. I will say that I am not usually a fan of the horror genre, I never really took to movies like Alien for example. So maybe this show isn't for me. With that said, it's still a story by George RR Martin, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

worachj likes this.
  13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I don't remember her in Life on Mars, probably because the US version was a mess. The original UK version was far better. The ending of the US version was thrown together at the last minute when the show got canceled just to provide some kind of closure, but it basically sucked.

14. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    If you haven’t yet, check out The Notorious Bettie Page.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018 at 8:47 AM
    Tony_T and gweempose like this.
  15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It's not just you. I really tried, but clearly this genre (or channel) is not for me. I've tried every new series on SyFy for a year or two, and my SP rarely survives the pilot. A couple made it two or three episodes. After that, bubkas.

16. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    The first episode was okay but subsequent ones are losing me.

I like several SyFy offerings — Van Helsing, Z Nation, Happy!, Dark Matter, and The Expanse are five that come to mind but I’m having trouble staying engaged with this one.

17. gweempose

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I just finished episode 4, and the show is starting to go off the rails. There were so many illogical things happening in this episode. For example, why would they not bring Thale to the room where the probe was? The probe was clearly organic. Isn't that the whole reason they brought him along?

Also, why on Earth would anyone use the memory machine when they know the ship is being controlled by a homicidal computer that can potentially use those memories against them?

I happen to really like sci-fi horror, but this is not a very good example of the genre. It's certainly no Event Horizon.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:41 AM
  18. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kinda liked both the US and UK versions of Life On Mars, but I DO agree that then ending of the US version was a mess.

19. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    I've been watching, but I'm really not sure why. I keep expecting it to get better, but so far I think it's just awful. One more and done :confused:

20. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched E2 last night, still have NO idea what is going on. I'll give it one more then I'm done if I can't get into it. I figure 3 episodes in should be fair. It does look and sound pretty good, I'll give them that.

worachj likes this.