1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NHL.tv

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by buggzy, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1 of 18
    buggzy

buggzy New Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I have submitted a request for the application via TiVO, but I thought it might be nice to drum up some conversation over here as well. With the launch of NHL.tv, which I believe to be produced under the same roof as MLB.tv, I would be very excited to see this make its way onto my Roamio Pro application list as well! Is anyone familiar with the history of how MLB.tv made its way to TiVO? I'm new to TiVO, but am looking forward to signing up for MLB.tv and using it on my TiVO Roamio Pro now that they offer a single team package and would like to do the same for NHL.tv some point soon!

2. Feb 3, 2016 #2 of 18
    HeadlessChicken

HeadlessChicken New Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Spot on -- I fully support this! Was hoping for gamecenter to be migrated over last couple of years (and requested to tivo through tivo website and at NHL gamecenter website), but gave up. It's a pain for me as I have to switch to a roku in another room to get it on a TV, so instead end up watching on a small smartphone usually.

3. Feb 3, 2016 #3 of 18
    GolfDude

GolfDude New Member

Jan 5, 2016
    the new nhl.tv app that was released this week was made by the same ppl who made mlb.tv.. infact.. mlb.tv runs the nhl.tv online system now, so there should be no issue for tivo to support nhl.tv if it already has mlb.tv since they are the same system now

4. Feb 3, 2016 #4 of 18
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I keep asking for the nba app to no avail,hopefully someday we'll get both those apps!:p

5. Feb 5, 2016 #5 of 18
    Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I doubt we see anything this year. My hope is that next year, they start supporting more devices, along the same lines as what MLB.TV supports.

The previous company was terrible with their support of devices. They had initially tried to get it on many devices, as I remember a Samsung NHL app at one point) but if it wasn't easy, they just gave up. Hopefully MLB.TV will push NHL.TV to more devices.

Then again, I settle for a current WORKING app on ANY device. Since they switched over, the Roku app has been a mess and it has been ridiculous to try and watch a game. They need to get that cleaned up FAST.

6. bunka526

bunka526 New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    KC
    NHL App would be great with TIVO. Now I have to plug my phone or IPad into another HDMI cable hanging from my TV. More sports apps would be great for TIVO and HBO Now ;)

7. jamesteixeira

jamesteixeira Member

Nov 22, 2014
    Round Rock TX
    The Roku app seems pretty solid now. I haven't had any trouble on the stick or SE version. Would be nice to have on TIVO though.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    MLBAM provides the streaming services for NHL.tv. However, I am not sure that MLBAM actually creates the app themselves. That much isn't clear.

9. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's better than it was, but I'd like to see it more like the MLB.tv app, where they just list the games vertically, line by line, to choose from and get away from the old horizontal tile approach.

Plus they need to make the Blue selection border more visible. I keep missing it and what I have selected.

Anyway, as I mentioned, knowing that the MLB.tv app is everywhere and the same people are now doing the NHL.tv app, hopefully by next season, we see it on just as many devices, including Tivo.

10. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    Would be nice, I currently am Chromecasting NHL.TV to my television from the Android app.

11. Juzbee_Yourself

Juzbee_Yourself New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Has anyone heard anything new on this? I just got my "auto renew" email for NHL.TV, and I'm not going to renew if it isn't supported on my Bolt. Hoping for the best.

12. revilo78

revilo78 New Member

Sep 8, 2002
    I too would love to see an NHL.TV app

13. numbskull

numbskull New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    COM'ON TIVO!! With all the competition out there, WHY AREN'T YOU ON TOP OF THIS?? You've already lost a big time opportunity to rule the DVR space, can you really not get it together to support your existing customer base? We recently killed cable and without apps that give me what I want to watch through my Roamio, your device is going to get kicked to the curb next!

14. numbskull

numbskull New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Well there you go TiVo...as predicted. My wife went out and bought a Roku and guess what I now get to watch on it...NHL games! So here's the score as I see it: ROKU 1 TIVO 0

15. Juzbee_Yourself

Juzbee_Yourself New Member

Jan 16, 2016
    This year, NHL.TV and NHL Center Ice are the same price, $139 for the full season (at least on Charter Speculum, I guess I can't speak for other providers). So, might as well just subscribe for those of us who have cable TV.

16. mach14

mach14 New Member

Oct 8, 2018
    NHL.tv is better. They have a substantial discount for student or military and offer a one team package, so Ill be watching my team for around $70 total. They also allow you to stream games that were black outs the next day or in some cases immediately after the game.

17. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I gave up on NHL.tv a couple years ago. I was sick of all the blackouts. Probably a full third of the games were blacked out for my team. (Plus the streaming was bad, would buffer all the time. Hopefully they've at least fixed that.)

18. mach14

mach14 New Member

Oct 8, 2018
    I had it last year and this year, and the buffering this year is much better then last year. I find what device your using is a huge difference maker when it comes to buffering as well. Things with hard drives tend to perform much better, such as a PS3 versus a roku. NHL.tv has discontinued their support of PS3 this year, so Ive been using my laptop which has an HDMI output, and I just plug that into TV. Works great, but I have a higher end laptop with an core i7 and a discrete video card. I also discovered much less buffering when I use microsoft edge versus chrome.