NHK World

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by TKnight206, Feb 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    For those who get NHK World (in English), I've noticed numerous guide problems that have failed to be fixed.

The most recent issue is an issue with a Medical Frontiers special called, "Hug Me, Robot!" which is listed under the show name Hug Me, Robot! instead of Medical Frontiers. I consider this a clear mistake given that their site TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English lists it as Medical Frontiers.

There have been other mistakes in the past, but these are the most recent.

For those who record First Class, the new episode on March 2nd is mistakenly labeled as the show name Jared Diamond. Again, I refer to TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English to see that the show is called First Class and not Jared Diamond. This will be part five of the Jared Diamond series within the show First Class.

There appears to be one more showing of the Medical Frontiers special in I think less than six hours for those who record this show.

I urge other TiVo users who watch these shows who are annoyed by these mistakes to do lineup reports at https://tivo.com/lineup, but please, check with TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English first to be absolutely sure it's a mistake. I consider TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English to be an authority given that I'm mostly sure it's the official site.

2. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    It's a disaster tonight with this channel's guide. So if you expected to record anything, you may have missed it.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo guide seems to be terrible (and inaccurate) on foreign language channels unless its either in english or spanish.

4. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I don't know if it's considered a foreign language channel. It's in English, if not dubbed in English or has subtitles in some situations. I think it might be considered an OTA channel around Washington, D.C.

It's even worse. The schedule looks normal, but what's on air doesn't match the schedule. TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English is accurate. TiVo's guide is not.

I find TiVo's guide quality rather pathetic. I wish they'd switch back to GraceNote. Outside of saving money on DVR rental fees, I don't know if I can endorse TiVo anymore. It's gotten that bad with guide data, and this doesn't even factor in spinning blue circles or the constant GUI bugs on Encore UI that require a GUI reset. I'm even seeing shows missing season and episode information or having incorrect numbering. I've seen some series that just stay on one season, with the episode numbering increasing, despite being on the next season.

5. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    NHK is from Japan, even though its in english, translated from japanese, for the english world on that channel. There would be another channel that is totally in japanese and would just be called NHK World.

Code:
    https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/schedule/
    This is your URL and ".jp" is japan.

Tivo does not rely on that guide schedule, but only Rovi.

6. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    The news is in English. Not dubbed over, but actually in English. It appears the channel will be changing it's name in April according to NHK World - Wikipedia

I do not know where TiVo gets the guide data. I mentioned TV Schedule - TV - NHK WORLD - English to reference the correct schedule.

It looks like the guide is off by 24 hours. What's on now is listed in the guide for Sunday, April 1st. But I think Monday's might be correct, but I'm going to to do anymore comparison.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  7. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Tell TiVo -> Report a Lineup Issue It works sometimes.