NFL Sunday Ticket (HD) question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by clueless2, Jan 13, 2006.

1. clueless2

clueless2 New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    I read somewhere that under the new contract that starts next year all the NFL games that CBS carries must be in HD (as opposed to 3 a week ).

Does anyone know what D* is going to do? I would assume they don't have the bandwidth on the MPEG2 birds to handle the additional games in HD.

Will they move Sunday Ticket to MPEG4 and make everyone who subscribes get new equipment or will they only show "selected" games in HD.

2. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    No, we don't. I would venture even D* isn't entirely sure what they're going to do, yet.

H

3. sdchrgrboy

sdchrgrboy New Member

Mar 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Does it really matter right now? The season is over 8 months away.

4. minorthr

minorthr Your Ad here

Nov 24, 2001
    Pa
    The first thing that comes to mind is them broadcasting Sunday ticket in Mpeg 4 and upgrading everyone before football starts. However you would think that would have started by now or at least we would have heard about it.

5. HogarthNH

HogarthNH DirecTV Addict

Dec 28, 2001
    Somewhere, OK
    We didn't hear about Superfan until mid-May of 2005.
    You shouldn't think that.
    It's really, really early yet.

H

6. ssandhoops

ssandhoops New Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Shiloh, Il
    The last two seasons, Sunday Ticket carried up to 9 HD games each week. If all games are carried in HD by both FOX and CBS, they'll need capacity for, at most, 14 games each week (2 games to to ESPN, NBC), meaning they only need to worry about 5 more HD games. Even if they don't have the bandwidth for 5 more dedicated channels, they'll probably put some early/late games on the same channel and be able to carry them all.

7. Bananfish

Bananfish Preowned Member

May 16, 2002
    Belmont, CA
    I think the real issue is how many games they would have to broadcast simultaneously on the ST this coming year vs. how many they had to last year - total number of games shouldn't matter. My understanding (which is admittedly poor and could be completely wrong) is that they had to significantly reduce the number of PPV movies broadcast last year during at least the early games (i.e., 10 am PST games). My guess is that they had to broadcast no more than 4 or maybe 5 simultaneously last year, but would have to raise that significantly next year.

8. squam1

squam1 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    so - my wife and I recently (3 months ago) signed up with d* leaving a cable company in nashua nh - we are also looking to purchase a new tv (to replace one that is on the outs). So, what of the new d* equipment that has been shown at CES, what about the possible new format for DVR and potential for outdated equipment and is the programming that is available currently worth it?

9. VeniceDre

VeniceDre New Member

May 24, 2004
    For what's it's worth I spoke to someone in retention the other night regarding another matter but was made aware of a couple of changes to the NFL Sunday Ticket that are already happening... There is another payment option of $19 a month for 11 months instead of four payments of $52.25 (yes it's going up ten bucks!) After I made a snap about the whole "HD Superfan" fiasco she told me that they were being told that the HD portion was being folded back into the regular package at no extra charge. When I questioned it she said "The NFL tells us what to do and we have to do it." Maybe all the complaining didn't fall on deaf ears. We'll see in the coming months I guess.

10. Aquatic

Aquatic New Member

Nov 26, 2002
    JCP -...
    I can only HOPE they fold back the HD into the regular package. While I play fantasy FB, the rest of the package features don't hold my attention at all, I bough the package for the HD only.

I did get a letter from DTV saying that superfan package was going to come down to $49 next year, interesting to see if that's the HD and extras or extras only. Over 200 bucks for the ticket is getting ridiculous though. :(