NFL Red Zone

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Davelnlr_, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...

Advertisements

Xfinity says they can no longer add the sports and entertainment package to my account because I am using a cablecard. I want the Red Zone. I was planning to watch it on the Xfinity Roku app like I do all the IP only channels, but they cannot even turn it on unless I get an X1 box (not going to happen).

Is there any other way to get Red Zone without paying for another full subscription to YouTubeTV or some other provider?

2. NJBLUESMAN

NJBLUESMAN New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Well I finally broke down and did the X one box for five dollars mom and the package I have actually gives me Netflix for free so now I save 1299 a month they’re so win-win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If Red Zone is IP TV, then Tivo will not work on it.

4. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Yes, I am aware of that. I use the Xfinity Stream app on my Roku TV to watch IP channels the cablecard wont get. This is something new. They wont/cant even turn it on with a cablecard on the account now.
    As for X1, I had one. Burned out in 4 months. Was hot as hell. Cost $15 extra a month (DVR fee plus extra outlet fee). That would mean the Red Zone channel would cost me $9.95+$15. Not worth it. Don't understand why Comcast's computer doesnt have an override key to force a package on an account.
    Im going to end up having to go back to DirecTv next year I guess.

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

It sounds like its either IP TV or SDV. For SDV, it requires a tuning adapter. It also sounds like they do not use/support tuning adapters. The box they use have it all in one box (ie: cable card + tuning adapter type).

6. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Just got off the phone with the cablecard department at Comcast.
    RedZone is IP only, however, due to the copyright restrictions imposed by the NFL, it is NOT available on their Xfinity stream app which is what I use to stream their IP only channels currently.
    When my contract is up (maybe before if the price is right) I am just going to go to AT&T fiber 1gbps unlimited internet, and YoutubeTV. I checked DirecTv and they want $115/mo for TV only. Not THAT is ridiculous. I could get another X1 box, but after the first one burned out after 4 months, along with the 30 second skip being slow as a snail, and all around slow UI, I really dont want to pay $15/mo for it.

7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Look on the Roku for the Red Zone app.

8. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    Here in Northern CA, I'm looking at the Red Zone HD Channel right now on my Roamio using Comcast's cable card. Unless they're planning on converting it to IP on Sunday.

Edit: I'm also getting Red Zone on my phone using the Xfinity Stream App (not available To Go, as in the past). There showing a replay of the last Week 16 games broadcast.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  9. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Every area is different. Comcast special.
    First thing I did. Only Sunday Ticket app, and have to subscribe to AT&T Directv to get it.
    NFL app doesnt even have COMCAST or XFINITY as a provider, so cant even sign in.
    I believe the NFL just doesnt want people to watch, so I am going to oblige them.

NorthAlabama likes this.
  10. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Sorry, but like so many other poor Xfinity subs, you've been fed a TOTAL line of BS by their CSR...also, RZ has been on QAM for years now, LONG before IP even existed, & has NOT been "converted" over to IP-only - in YOUR area & any other Xfinity area.
    Not that you probably even care at the point, but there IS a solution; note others in this thread had no problems adding it onto their CC's:
    Xfinity "More Sports and Entertainment" with CableCARD

edit: have you tried to go into your online Xfinity account, & add it on yourself? It should be available to do just that, just as you would with premium channels & other channel add-ons.

11. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    go to your local office, the sales reps probably earn commission when they add redzone to an account and will be happy to help.

i will leave open the possibility that some front line phone reps are restricted from adding it to a cablecard by design due to comcast software restrictions/limitations, so if you can't visit the office, call during the day mon-fri, and ask for a supervisor.

dishrich likes this.
  12. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    dishrich: I was talking to the cable card dept per that thread. If you have further info, or a specific number other than the general cablecard number to call, let me know.
    NorthAlabama: Our local office is closed due to Covid and their number rings through to the 800 number.
    DirecTv offered me 1Gb/s fiber and DirecTv for $126 but the second year of $206 is a no-go. I really hate these TV companies.

13. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Sorry, just added this in my OP...have you tried to go into your online Xfinity account, & add it on yourself? It should be available to do just that, just as you would with premium channels & other channel add-ons.
    Also, my actual suggestion in that thread was NOT the CC dept, but to go here & get it added thru this board: (if you can't do it yourself online)
    Comcast Direct forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
    The reps on that forum are very helpful & can get things done others can't... ;)

NorthAlabama likes this.
  14. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    I did. As soon as I click ADD, it pops up a screen "Opps something went wrong, you need to call us at 877-680-7173 where a clueless CSR says you have to have a Xfinity box with a number they can enter into their computer to activate the package. Cablecard dept didnt seem to know what a cablecard was.
    Ill check that forum. It will be their last chance before I throw the Tivo in the closet and subscribe to AT&T fiber.

15. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the phone number may be routed, but have you visited? our store opened a few weeks ago, and more are opening daily, even when they don't answer the phone (our "experience store" never has). the number you posted is not the comcast main number (800-xfinity), you may have been routed to an x1 box upgrade only call center, so try the main number.

also, at&t tv is offering a bundled deal of fiber(not gig) & tv for $89.99/mo in our area, you may want to ask about it.

dishrich likes this.
  16. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Thanks. I am in Arkansas tho. AT&T TV doesnt have NFL network or Red Zone, at least it is not listed on their channel chart. If I do switch, I will get AT&T gig fiber for $59.95 for a year, and then either YouTubeTV or Yubo, the only two streaming services that offer 1080p/4K streams. Really getting kind of tired of the 720p video from Comcast anyway. On a 75" TV it looks like mush. I just hate switching from Tivo, as I own two of them with lifetime, and they are useless without cable.

17. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is bundled here, 1G @$39.99 + TV ($49.99) = bundled $89.99.

18. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    That would be good. Does that include the rip off add ons like locals and regional sports networks? My bill is $100, for 250Mb/s plus 200 channels but then they tack on $22.75 plus tax and franchise fees for locals which I can watch with my antenna, and regional sports which currently have no sports.

19. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Unfortunately, Tivo does not work with ATT/DirecTV, satellite TV.

20. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...
    Well, I think you can still get a DirecTV Tivo. I already own an HR24, two H24s and an H25. They have been in the closet since AT&T bought DirecTv and refused to honor my lifetime DVR service. That $10 cost them a customer with a 4 digit account number.