Next

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jamesbobo, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ

Advertisements

With the lack of new fall network shows this time of year, I'm surprised to see no mention of this new FOX series on Tuesday night. If you're an expert on computers you may be banging your head against the wall about how silly the shows premise is. But for everybody else, it's pretty good TV entertainment. Two episodes have aired so far. Next week, 10/19, the show is pre-empted for the World Series. If you haven't seen it, it's available On Demand or on Hulu. If you've seen it, any thoughts?

2. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I gave it a shot because I LOVE LOVE LOVE John Slattery-but it didn't grab me. Hard pass. Unfortunately-I really wanted to like it!

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    On computers, it kinda reminds me of my Honors Advisor in college (back in the late 80s), who loved the idea of computers but seemed largely immune to any actual knowledge about them, and thus effectively thought they were magic. As a result, he was always asking me to do utterly impossible things with them (and conversely, was blown away by some of the more trivial things I did).

4. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I saw the first episode. I didn't understand how the computer...
    ...knew that the one programmer was in debt if it was disconnected from the Internet...

5. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana

Advertisements

and I totally saw
    that the alexa-type thing (I forget her name already) was going to tell the kid to kill his bullies-when she told him where the gun safe was and the combination...no suspense at all :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. jamesbobo

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    I wondered the same thing. The programmer probably gets paid with direct deposit so the company computer has bank account number information. That can explain how extra money was put in the bank. But that doesn't explain how the computer would know that his account was drained due to gambling. Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  7. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Liked the concept, like John Slattery, but nothing about this was any good. Barely made the end of E1 and deleted the SP.

8. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I'm usually EXTREMELY critical of shows like this, especially when the entire premise is "technology is bad, see how bad it is?" For whatever reason, I wasn't here, and was pleasantly surprised at how it was all being treated. Add to it the fact that Slattery is having hallucinations anyway and you aren't entirely sure if what he's seeing is real, and it makes for a good show.

This series was created by Manny Coto, and music by Sean Callery, both of whom are 24 alums. Coto wasn't on 24 at first, but only came on after Enterprise was cancelled.

For those unaware, it was his doing that made the last season of Enterprise more Trek-like. He was hired for Enterprise based on a truly amazing series many people are completely unaware of: Odyssey 5, which didn't even last a season (although the unaired episodes were later released on DVD). He's a reliable sci-fi writer, and is showrunner here. I'm all in.

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Given the filming of this show means I have to park in the other parking lot, at least it's decent enough. They film around here and the film crew takes over the parking lot i use,

10. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    double post, deleted

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Tell them you'll keep watching if they save you a spot... ;)

Regina likes this.
  12. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I just watched the 2nd episode last night, and at the preview for the next (haw) episode, the announcer said "In two weeks..."

The Comcast DVR then told me there was another episode available On Demand, so I watched Episode 3. Was this some Comcast exclusive?

13. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Show kinda reminds me of "The Machine" from "Person of Interest".

jasrub, cheesesteak and stellie93 like this.
  14. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Don't know, but I just downloaded the torrent.

15. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Nope. YouTube TV had a VOD version of episode 3 yesterday.

16. tigercat74

tigercat74 Lets go Bengals!!!!!

Aug 7, 2004
    Powell, TN
    It is also on Hulu

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    It's only 2 weeks if you watch it OTA. Though I'm guessing it's just a streaming benefit as I'm guessing the 4th wouldn't air for 3 weeks. At least now I know it's not the guide that's incorrect.

18. jamesbobo

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    Out of curiosity, I tried FIOS On Demand. Episode three was listed, but when I tried to watch it said "oops. Something went wrong. Try again later."

19. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    The first episode was pretty bad and unbelievable. I stuck around for the second episode and am glad I did. Yeah, the computer stuff is silly and it does seem like a lazy knockoff of the Machine from Fringe but the second episode just seemed a lot better than the first. Put your brain on Snooze and enjoy the ride.

In the second episode, when the kid is talking to Iliza, my Alexa, out of the blue, started reminding me about Amazon Prime Day. I cussed her out after having the bejesus scared out of me. I did not need that while watching a show about a rogue AI.

allan, jasrub and stellie93 like this.
  20. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    "Mr. Cheesesteak, wouldn't you like to take this opportunity to install more Amazon cameras in your house"?