Next Great American Band 12/7/07 "Queen" (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LoadStar, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1 of 33
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI

Advertisements

Queen songs segment:
    Clark Brothers: Performed "These Are the Days Of Our Lives." Not a particularly familiar Queen song... I liked the addition of the drummer and guitarist. I think the vocals weren't as strong as they have been but this shows another side of this band that will definitely come in handy when (not if) they win this.
    Light of Doom: Performed "We Will Rock You." Horrible vocals, horrible arrangement. The whole thing just fell completely off the tracks when they segued from the drums to the unique arrangement of the song, which completely destroyed the song. Nothing at all redeemable about this performance.
    Sixwire: Performed "Fat Bottom Girls." Fun, yet a completely predictable arrangement and performance. Still, it was Sixwire's typical very tight and polished vocals and instrumentation. I particularly liked the guitar solo.
    DMHO: Performed "Sleeping on the Sidewalk." Another out of Queen's back catalog, definitely not one of their big songs. This week was one of the first weeks that I really REALLY got the "wedding singer" vibe to them, particularly Denver's vocals. I think they're definitely much more than that, but the endless weeks of all these cover songs have really detracted from this band.

Original Songs segment:
    Clark Brothers: Performed "Homestead." I would've liked to have heard them go back to one of the songs just featuring the brothers, without the bass guitar and drum, so that in one episode we see both sides of this band. I don't think this was bad, the vocals were good, I just don't think this was as good as they have been and I don't think this allowed the vocals to shine as strongly.
    Light of Doom: Performed "A Matter Of Time." Miles better than the mess that their first performance was, but I'm still not a fan. Reminded me of some cheesy 80's like hair band... like something you'd hear written for a TV movie about a fake hair band. But the vocals were much, much better than the first, and were almost professional. Almost.
    Sixwire: Performed "Go On." Well written, well performed. Definitely a very radio-ready song, and the judges were right, it's one of those songs that could very easily be played on the radio right now, on both the country and the adult contemporary format stations.
    DMHO: Performed "Big White House." Better vocals from Denver. The thing I liked about them was that they really started out as a Big Band type of a group, and I don't get that anymore from them... they've somewhere along the way segued into something else altogether. The judges complained that they're a bit square, but I think it's that square-ness that was part of their kitch-y appeal, and they lost that I think.

2. Dec 7, 2007 #2 of 33
    MisterBubble

MisterBubble Makes Bathtime Fun!

Oct 30, 2005
    Central Florida
    I agree with most of your comments. I've been watching this show when I remember it's on (not sure why I didn't just set a SP for it) and I do enjoy it when I see it. Even though I am not a fan of them either, I was surprised at the vocals by LOD on their original - very polished sounding compared to what I've heard them do on the covers.

I don't agree with the "when, not if" the Clark Brothers win vibe - I really think after tonight that Sixwire is going to give them a pretty good run for their money. Their original song was excellent and they picked a fun Queen song that most folks are familiar with, and did a good job with it too. I just don't get it on shows like this when people feel the need to choose some really obscure song. All I can figure is they don't want to invite comparisons to the original - but that can backfire when nobody recognizes or cares about the song.

The other two have NO chance of making it to the final two as far as I can see. I just can't get past the cheese factor of Denver. He reminds me of a bad cross between (in looks, not necessarily sound) Huey Lewis and Howard Jones. Like he's stuck in some '80s wedding band time warp. I don't know... just not my cup of tea I guess. Not that they would have made the final two either, but I was disappointed that Dot Dot Dot was eliminated before LOD and DMHO. As I mentioned, I haven't seen every episode of this show, but those that I have - I enjoyed Dot Dot Dot much more than the other two. For what it's worth, I liked Tres Bien better too - I assume they must have gone home last week (which I missed).

ETA: Forgot to mention YAY!!! Finally the original songs everyone has been asking for!!!

3. Dec 8, 2007 #3 of 33
    BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Tonight it dawned on me who Sixwire reminds me of when I hear them. Larry Gatlin and the Gatlin Brothers Band.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #4 of 33
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Hands down Sixwire won this episode. My opinion, of course.

And wouldn't you know it, the one time I wanted to see what Dot Dot Dot would do with a Queen song, well...:rolleyes:

5. Dec 8, 2007 #5 of 33
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard

Advertisements

I would agree with this on any other night but on "Queen" night obscure just might be the way to go.
    I have never ever heard anybody do a Queen cover without sitting there actively wishing it was Queen doing the song. I can't listen to it and I certainly can't appreciate it when all I can think of is how they are destroying it. The Sixwire performance was a very good example of this- a great arrangement, tight band, great harmony. But it wasn't "right" in my head somehow. I don't need to hear Queen all "yee-haw'd" up like that.

The first week the judges carped on their attire which I really liked- all the band had dark suits w/red shirts and Denver wore the red suit w/dark shirt. I thought the whole look complimented the big band sound.
    When they took off those clothes in response to the judges criticisms something was lost. I noticed last night that they dressed like a pack of bums and again the judges commented, so I guess they just can't get it right. But I rewatched the first week w/DMHO and they were very very good. Their mojo was in the clothes.

The Clark Brothers additions were interesting- they chose two very good people to make up their rhythm section. The drummer was very understated yet right in the pocket and I thought the bass player was extremely good too. These are still my guys all the way, and they can yee-haw Queen all they like :D

6. Dec 8, 2007 #6 of 33
    The Flush

The Flush Not So Notable Member TCF Club

Aug 3, 2005
    SO OH
    Clearly the final 2 will be Sixwire and Clark Bros.

I still can't figure out how LOD is still there and thought Tres Bien should have made it further than LOD, DMHO, and Dot, Dot, Dot.

DMHO makes every song sound like the same song. Same for LOD; every song is an Iron Maiden song.

Sixwire is polished. Maybe too polished. Polished to the point of boring.

Clark Bros is the only band I would considering going to see perform.

Are the doing covers next week? Hopefully not, but if they do, I'd like to see the Clark Bros do Dire Straits.

7. Dec 8, 2007 #7 of 33
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    My money's still on the Clarke Brothers with Sixwire in the final with them. I would buy albums from both of these bands and the CBs have the edge on originality for me.

LOD is a bunch of kids playing at rock stars. The way they act reminds me of playtime. They do not have what it takes - yet (or maybe ever without another front man).

DMHO are a good wedding band. That is all.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #8 of 33
    JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    An odd show for me. The Queen stuff was just forgettable. I actually don't like the Clark Bros with a backline because there was something different about them with just the three.

LOD have always been terrible to me
    Clark Bros are great but seemed to lack the emotion tonight, I completely agreed that those lyrics were terrible.
    Sixwirte, good but somehow predictable and too slick
    Dever etc. Not my thing but at least they are different.

9. Dec 8, 2007 #9 of 33
    bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    LOD completely dropped the ball on their Queen number. They completely dropped the song for that matter... All they seemed to have done is simply take the lyrics and apply them to some random power riffs on the guitars. Nothing matched up and they just seemed lost. Why? Queen has an awesome guitar player. They should have taken what Queen did and make it more "metallic". That would have rocked. Their original was much better.

Sixwire's original was very good. Not much more to say... Fat Bottom Girls was decent, but it didn't have me throwing them the "rock horns" like I did when I first heard their original. :p

Clark Brothers will probably win now that they have a full band behind them. What they were doing was fine and "unique" but I didn't see them selling many records with that style. Now they can and they probably will.

Next week, it's gonna be Denver, and the week after that LOD. The final will be Sixwire vs. Clark Brothers. I still think Sixwire has the best originals, but I have a (sad) feeling that public sentiment will favor the Clark Brothers and they will win.

10. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think so. I think LoD's Queen cover was horrific enough to doom them this week. It was bad enough to make their pretty OK unique song worse by association. But other than flipping Denver and LoD's departure weeks, you're probably right.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    Nothing really stood out for me this week.

The Clark Brothers - I like that the singer gets enthused during his performances, but it's starting to seem more like a gimmick and less genuine, since it's the same thing every week. Strumming and screaming late in the song for a brief burst. I wasn't familiar with their Queen song, so I can't say what they did with it. I thought it was funny that they brought in a drummer and a bass player, but kept their levels really low. These guys are my vote for most likely to win. At the very least, they seem to do everything that the judges tell them to do. I thought their original song was really bland.

Light of Doom - While it wasn't all that rocking, I did enjoy that they at least took We Wil l Rock You and changed it up a lot. The judges hated it, and I'll comment more on that in a moment. Having not gone through his voice change yet, the singer doesn't really have a lot of range. Again, I love the enthusiasm that they play with. Their original, I thought was much better, but the judges also hated this. As The Flush pointed out, everything sounds very Maiden-ish. Not a bad band to mimic, but you've got to change it up a bit.

Sixwire - Their cover of Fat Bottom Girls was just a straight cover, they didn't change it up, at all...and apparently that's exactly what the judges want because they praised the hell out of them. I've made no secret of my dislike of this band. The lack of a stage presence, the constant smiling, the dancing around with each other as they play...these guys use every safe, corporate rock gimmick they can find. Their original, couldn't tell you, I grabbed a snack.

DMHO - Everything they do sounds very similar, with a slightly different tempo at times. Last week they told everyone that their religious beliefs conflicted with picking a Rod Stewart song. This week they tell us something along the lines of how in LA people ask if you go to church, but wherever they're from people ask what church they go to. Nobody cares, push your beliefs elsewhere. This alone makes me want these guys out ASAP.

In summary...I wasn't impressed by anybody this week.
    The most impressive thing in this episode was Shiela E' cleavage.

12. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Quite possibly LOD first, and I agree, they are interchangeable. I don't know what the heck happened with LOD this week. It almost makes me wonder if some of their other arrangements weren't just happy accidents.

13. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    I'm a big Clark Brothers fan, want them to win ... and I think the originals are weak. They'll need a writing producer.

Anyone know where I can see this week's tunes? Can't see them on YouTube, and FOX's site stopped showing records after week 7, evidently.

14. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't think that can be accurately described as "pushing" their faith at all. They merely talk about their faith and how it impacts their life and their participation in the contest. Last week, they just pointed out that their faith made picking a song that agreed with their beliefs difficult; this week, they point out that they feel that Hollywood is a more secular city than back home in Nashville (which is very true - I don't think anyone could argue that fact).

15. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Hates winter

Dec 3, 2007
    Strawberry...
    LOD- great musicians,horrible singer
    DMHO -Denver is creepy
    Sixwire - great band, singer
    Clark Brothers - Deserve to win and have proven it every week

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I dunno, to me it comes across as "come on, vote for us, we're good Christian boys...c'mon, see"
    Be like everyone else, talk about the music, perhaps a real quick mention of the family, maybe mention how wacky one of the other guys in the band is...

Besides...if Rod Stewart is too controversial...perhaps it's time to broaden your horizons a bit.

17. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    The Clark Brothers sold out! What a bunch of BS. We loved these guys because they were raw and could turn every song into a goose bump inducing experience. But with their drummer and bass player and cheesy sound they made me sick to my stomach.

The only band that did anything special was LoD. They take every song and make it theirs. Many times they hit and sometimes they miss. But their Queen song was better than any other performance.

Theirs was the only performance we could watch all the way through.

If not for LoD, this program could very well be called Next Gay American Band (NTTIAWWT).

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    This was the first episode I have managed to watch (other shows interfered and I only have one cable input to my TV). I enjoyed it except what is with all the British people? Aren't any Americans qualified to judge this? The announcer is irritating the judges were OK.

19. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Australian. They're the host and judge of Australian Idol.

20. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Actually Dicko is a Brit though he is based in Australia. I really don't know why they picked that host though. I guess Dunkleman was not available.

The full performances are now available online. However the website still says "Next week the bands perform the songs of Queen" :rolleyes: