Next Generation ATH-AAA Remote Control Extender // $33

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sloan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Jul 8, 2008 #1 of 34
    sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC

Advertisements

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=201967610

On sale, with FREE SHIPPING.

I have one, and it works great with my Tivo. Very responsive, unlike the Radio Shack Remote Extender I bought.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 9, 2008 #2 of 34
    AZ_Tivo

AZ_Tivo New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    AZ
    That sounds like a good product. I could use one. However, I control two Tivo units with one remote (using DVR1 and DVR2 switch). Will this extender still work for me?

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, provided there is more than one emitter, or you can make the included emitter work with the two TiVos, or can add more emitters.

4. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Smarthome has a dual stick on emitter cable that is pretty cheap....at least last time I bought one a few years ago.

5. tvcn

tvcn New Member

Jul 29, 2005

Advertisements

Amazon has this slightly cheaper (also if sold by Amazon, may be easier to return if it doesn't work). About 180 reviews. Manufacturer web site FAQ also has some info.
    Amazon also sells multiple mouse emitters made by Next Gen (but I am not sure these are needed if the base emits IR).

6. AZ_Tivo

AZ_Tivo New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    AZ
    Thanks so much guys. That helps.

I see the dual emitter here. I actually have couple of dual emitters saved from my two other Tivos. So I may not need this.

http://www.amazon.com/DUAL-STICK-IR-EMITTERS-SMARTHOME/dp/B0007N72X8

and the little cheaper IR extender is here.

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generati..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=159CZQCSDSQP87KYSPXM

Now, what is this product? Will this let me control many (6 or 8) devices using a universal remote? I can't use a harmony as AAA battery transmitter won't fit into Harmony remote. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contro..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=159CZQCSDSQP87KYSPXM

I would really like to put Tivos & satellite reciever away.

-----

Edit : I guess this answers my questions.

http://www.hot-link.com/

I should be able to use this and control many devices which are tucked away in an enclosed compartment. I will have to take care of cooling and air circulation but it should work!!

7. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    How does it work? Circuit in the transmitter sensing current draw from the IR pulses or what?

(Cool product that I don't need. Not that I don't have dozens of things like that strewn randomly around the house...)

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The ATH-AAA system does sense changes current draw as the IR LEDs are pulsed on and off.

The Hot Link system apparently uses just one receiver which you discreetly build into your cabinetry, and a number of IR blasters you place in front of your computer. It is all hard wired. You can use any IR remote with stock batteries, and don't need to use anything weird inside it.

9. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Why not?

10. tvcn

tvcn New Member

Jul 29, 2005
  11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I just purchased this on Amazon. For the past three years I've been using an old set of Terk Leapfrog IR extenders because all of my equipment is in a cabinet.

This works fine, but my setup, and the location of the IR receiver, sometimes causes line-of-sight issues. Also, I'd like to be able to control the receiver volume when playing MP3s through Galleon for music when we're outside on the lanai.

I'm hoping this new unit will eliminate the line-of-sight problem and has the added benefit of eliminating an extra AC adapter plugged into the cabinet (the Terk has two adapters, one for the receiver and one for the transmitter) plus not needing the receiver out in the open, which ruins the aesthetic.

For those of you that ending up buying it ... how do you like it?

12. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    I use this strictly with my msntv2 (webtv) keyboard, works great. With terminal in the bedroom I post from from the livingroom. I use my RF universal remotes to surf the internet, but when I actually post I needed the keyboard to be Rf too, this does the trick.

13. jweaver15

jweaver15 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    I bought one a month ago and it works great. I can control my tivo in the upstairs bedroom from the basement, It works with no delay and as well as if I was in the same room using the IR remote.

14. junior15

junior15 New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    I bought one of these, but it was really flaky when used with my Harmony 676. It would respond to a button press and then not respond to the next one (not good when you want to resume playing after fast-forwarding). It did work well in my TiVo remote, but since I have a complicated setup, I prefer to use my Harmony. So I ended up just getting a Harmony 890 instead. I know, it's more expensive, but it works.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hmm, that's troubling because I was planning on doing the same thing.

Normally we use the Glo remote (because my wife prefers it) but when I need to do more complicated stuff, I use the same Harmony 676 so I figured I would move the transmitter into that remote when I needed it. I saw the 890 had the built-in RF but it was hard to justify the price tag when I could at least experiment with RF for under $40.

16. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Mine works great with the standard peanut remote.

I basically took my one Standard Def Tivo (directv tivo) and ran a coaxial cable to the room with the nordic trac (YES, I STILL USE A NORDIC TRAC!).

I have no issues with response. This was the first remote extender (I tried 3 before) that didn't have an extreme latency issue, that made it unbearable.

I don't have any Harmony Remote experience.

17. junior15

junior15 New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    I had wanted to avoid getting the 890 because I didn't want to put out that much cash, but it seemed to be the only way I could get it to work. I have all my A/V gear in my living room and run all my HDMI gear through a 4x2 switch with one output going to my receiver in the living room and another output going to the TV in my bedroom. I needed a way to control that gear from the bedroom and that RF extender looked like it should work. I read some reviews before I bought it and found one page mentioning that it wouldn't work with the Harmony remotes, but I don't remember where that was. I went ahead and got it and it in deed does not work with the Harmony remote. I tried a few of my other remotes just to make sure it wasn't the extender, and it works in my Tivo remote and my BluRay remote so I think it is the Harmony. :(

That's what prompted me to get the 890.

Hope this helps.

18. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Thanks for the feedback, yeah. Well, for $33 I can at least give it a shot and see how it works. Just using it in the Glo remote would be a help. If it doesn't work in the 676 at least it didn't cost me a bundle, then I can decide if I want to try the 890. My wife really doesn't like the 676 though, so the adoption factor for a new universal remote like that would probably be low in my household.

19. lachacg

lachacg Go Giants!

Jan 11, 2003
    NJ
    Another happy customer here. I run an HDMI cable from the kid's TivoHD in the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom, where we'll use it at night. We have this in the Tivo remote upstairs and it performs flawlessly through two floors (unless the kids move the transmitter in the basement :)

I'm always amazed at how long the batteries last, although we aren't big bedroom TV watchers, so it isn't used frequently. I recommend it.

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Search on eBay for PowerMID. You can get these for about the same price, if not cheaper, including shipping.

I used a set for a while to use my Tivo from another room.