Next FTV Star/Gourmet Next Door

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by NinerK, Oct 15, 2007.

1. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Wow, Food Network must not have a lot of faith in this show.

The Series Premier was yesterday at 1:00 EST/10:00PST. That's NFL KICKOFF!

Did they do the same thing with the other show, Guy's Big Bite?

Crazy. We watched a couple of minutes and it was tedious. Nice lady but it seemed too tedious. Here's hoping it gets better, but that is a horrible premiere time.

2. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I watched most of it, too.

What drove me nuts was that she didn't give quantities for so many ingredients! "A little" guyere cheese, "a good amount" of olive oil, etc. That is not terribly helpful for the inexperienced home cook. Those cheese puffs looked really yummy but I don't really have any idea how much cheese you are supposed to put in them, which would make it really hard to prepare them at home. Didn't anybody from FN tell her to be clear enough that someone could prepare the recipes after watching the show?

3. Havana Brown

Havana Brown Ring Turner

Feb 3, 2005
    Your...
    I lasted five minutes and got sick of it.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It was her first episode. I don't think Dan & Steve, or Guy, were that engaging right out of the chute either. We'll give it a chance.

As for the quantities/measurements, that's what the web site is for. :)

5. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...

I know you can look at the website, but I think the show should give you the information you need and the internet be a backup -- not that the show's a teaser and you need your computer to really understand the recipe.

Another question I had that neither the show nor the website answered -- suppose you want to make just the dessert or just the appetizer but not both. Can you halve the dough recipe and still have it come out OK? Or would you need to make the full amount of dough and double the app/dessert ingredients?

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I agree her lack of description was a little annoying (like, how much water was she boiling for the choux?) but seriously, if I want a recipe, I don't transcribe it from the TV show ... I grab it from the internet and print it out.

7. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I didn't watch the entire show, will probably do so today sometime.

I was more surprised that the premiere was Sunday Morning (PST)

I do get annoyed if the host is not giving ANY quantities. I don't expect to know how much salt is used; but with main ingrediants the quantities should be communicated to the viewer.

8. cvillacci

cvillacci New Member

May 18, 2004
    Woodridge, IL
    I also watched about 5-10 minutes of it and deleted it from TIVO. I will not be watching again. Soo boring. I like Guy's shows. I wish they would repeate past seasons of Next FTV Star. This was the first season I watched and liked the show but not her show. I know Guy won a season. Were there other winners?

Cindy

9. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Dan & Steve (The Hearty Boys) were the first winners.

10. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yes. Both the time scheduling and the lack of investment in the set were comparable to what they did last year with Guy's Big Bite. If the show does well enough, THEN Food Network will start making larger investments.

One thing I find strange is that they don't rerun the heck out of the show like they do with every other show. If you missed it, you missed it.

11. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    Am I the only one who thinks Amy wasn't the winner and that her first Gourmet Next Door show was a total slap in the face to Rorie? Rorie was the "Backyard Bistro" and Amy totally stole her win and then did her very first show about the bistro. Not nice!

12. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Interesting for sure. It makes sense, hopefully their qualifications for "does well" is weighted to reflect the horrible premiere time.

And you are correct, they should re-run the show, how are the viewers supposed to form their opinions?

On a semi-related note; what is up with separate programming for Food Network TV? Very lame. And "The Next Iron Chef" is not in HD? I'm trying Food Network, I really am; but you gotta meet me half way.

13. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Finally watched the show last night and have to agree with others. Horrible. I know it's her first show and all but it was horrible. Deleted within 5 minutes.

Interesting juxtaposition with the way Food Network supported the show "The Next Food Network Star" and the way they are supporting the WINNER of "The Next Food Network Star".

Clearly there is a lack of support for "Gourmet Next Door" in promotion and scheduling; but even more disappointing was the clear lack of PRODUCTION support. It was a very cold show: as others have said here the kitchen was boring and bland, the lighting, the script. I know she has to make it her "own" but come on, give her some help here.

Very disappointed in Food Network here....

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Why do you think they should provide more support for this year's winner over last year's winner? :confused:

15. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I don't. I think this particular show was poorly produced, promoted and "supported" in general. I didn't see the winners show last year. I get why they hype "Next Food Network Star" show; it's a reality competition show and those shows are doing well these days.

I guess my point is I don't understant how they can hype the competition show so much and not the winner's show. Obviously there's a big return for the competition show. However, to me, the fact that they don't hype the winner's show takes AWAY from the significance of the competition show....

16. Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    I guess I am the only one who noticed the "bistro" thing. :D

17. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I totally agree and I don't get it. Why not re-run NFNS in a million marathons leading up to the debut of the new show, and hype all of it like crazy? Why not at least re-run the new show a lot or introduce it in a decent timeslot? Sure it may suck anyway, but at least it would get some viewers that way. Same thing for when the NFNS had a Rachael Ray tie-in -- why not milk the crossover for all its worth instead of practically hiding it?

I just think they are totally missing out on obvious marketing opportunities here and it's a little bizarre.

18. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    I noticed after you mentioned it. And I agree with you; there could have been a mention of "this is a tribute to my comrad from the show" or something like that.

19. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Awesome, I'm not the only one! Seriously though, it is clear that they are looking short term. As in NFNS will bring in $$. Very short sighted. Not sure I will watch the next season of NFNS if the actual "prize" is a glass of lemonade and 3 episodes filmed in a cardboard box.

And the HD version of their network is lame. All shows are about 2+ years old and none of the current programming is in HD :confused:

Must be new managment or ownership....

20. NinerK

NinerK New Member

Oct 10, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Good ideas BTW with the re-runs of NFNS and the new show. :up: