NEWSFLASH-"DTivo PPV via 'Net" - Is it April Fool's already?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jmoak, Mar 4, 2006.

1. jmoak

jmoak Beware of Conky!

Jun 20, 2000
    florida

Advertisements

They got the info from a copy of a fax found in a dumpster in El Segundo, they did!

My wife Morgan Fairchild saw it too! Yeah, that's the ticket!
    ;)

WARNING! Meant only as a joke and a poke at an internet "reporter".
    Would be nice, but I ain't holding my breath.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    If they take 50 hours from my HDVR2 or HDVR80 for PPV downloads I'm gonna be really PO'd.

Good thing I don't have my DTiVo's hooked up to any network. Well other than their modems and downloading movies via dialup, they'd better have a really good compression ratio.

3. tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Actually it is broadband only and it has been announced for quite some time.

It was in the DirecTV Financial Analyst meeting information and PowerPoint slides released about two weeks ago and it has been in the news for sometime that Murdoch was going to spend a Billion dollars on acquiring broadband assets. And Murdoch has been acquiring broadband for the last six months or so.

This is Murdoch’s planned run around the VOD problem he was facing, because DirecTV cannot supply the bandwidth necessary to compete against the cable industry in the true VOD marketplace. Murdoch identified the problem with VOD and his DirecTV assets about a year or so earlier than I did. But then again I am not in the entertainment/video delivery industry and didn’t spot the growing VOD threat until last summer.

In fact one of my posts earlier today, in response to another post, directed the person towards the possibility that someday in the faraway future DirecTV may stop delivering video via satellites and only deliver video content via a broadband connection, which is what I expect could almost happen before the last DirecTiVo dies.

Interesting situation, the changes the video delivery industry is going through.

Around and around the wheel turns and where it stops is anyone’s guess.

Just think we are all watching the start of huge changes in the industry, and it is not April Fools.

4. Rob00GT

Rob00GT This space for rent.

Mar 10, 2003
    D/FW...
    There were additional details on this in DirecTV's webcast of their finances. I didn't catch the name of the speaker that followed David Hill in the "Programming and Content" section of the web cast but he said something very interesting. The DirecTV DVR hard drive will be partitioned so that the consumer has access to 100 hours of capacity, while 60 hours is reserved for DirecTV's use.

So on the first day of ownership I lose 60 hours of capacity to infomercials and stuff I'll never watch. All the more reason to keep my Tivos!

DirecTV Webcast.
    Thread on all the other stuff announced in the Webcast.

5. Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003

Advertisements

No, you don't lose anything. Zero, zip, nada. You get a box that has about 100 hours to record, and that's what you have. You never had the other 60 or access to it. Consider it part of the space needed for the OS. It was never ever yours so you lose nothing. Your logic would let a person say "I lost 90 hours because they put a 160 GB drive in there instead of a 250 GB." You can't lose what you never had.

Also, TiVo's have had reserved space for over 5 years now. Reserved for commercials and marketing material that they push to your box as opposed to this which is reserved for content if you decide to choose it. TiVo blazed this path of reserved space.

There are a lot of good reasons to keep your TiVo. Most, if not all of them have to do with it's DVR software performance. Unfortunately you can't claim a moral superiority on this issue for them. They started it.