TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Newest software version sucks!

6K views 52 replies 24 participants last post by  Johncv 
#1 ·
version 20.4.4a.xxxx was just updated on my Series 4 tivo. I use the standard menu screen and now when i go to "my shows" and want to scroll down the list using the channel down button to go from the top of the list to the bottom, when the next line of titles comes up it slowly lists one after the next till it lists all on that page and it takes like 5 seconds to do.

Previously you just hit the button, boom . boom. boom they were there now it takes 30 seconds to get theu 5 or 6 pages of programs. This totally sucks.:down::mad:

#3 ·
If you just updated, then its likely doing a lot of background work, re-indexing stuff in the background. Give it some time to complete the work. I'd normally wait several hours and force a connection again, give that some time to process and then reboot.

It should actually be snappier as optimizations continue, since this is essentially version 1.1 of the new software.

#4 ·
The more things change...

One of the biggest reasons I left TiVo was I got tired of waiting for them to make my original Premiere XL useable. 4 years was time enough for me. The constant crashing, reboots and missed recordings with no help from TiVo support (who blamed everyone else, including me, for the fact that their box wasnt robust enough to run their software) were enough for me to go with DirecTV and their Genie.

I won't even get into the bugs, half finished menus, overall slowness and ad's? :eek:

Have they ever had an update that didn't break something else? :confused:

And before I get accused of bashing TiVo, I had an original SD DTiVo (series 2?) that we absoulutley LOVED! I even left DirecTV for FIOS when the Premiere came out.

#5 ·
The Premiere units were ungodly slow until the Summer update. They switched the UI to a new platform and it sped up significantly. There are still a few unfinished menus but you typically only run into them in the settings. But it does seem a little ridiculous that they haven't finished them yet.

#6 ·
The more things change... One of the biggest reasons I left TiVo was I got tired of waiting for them to make my original Premiere XL useable. 4 years was time enough for me. The constant crashing, reboots and missed recordings with no help from TiVo support (who blamed everyone else, including me, for the fact that their box wasnt robust enough to run their software) were enough for me to go with DirecTV and their Genie. I won't even get into the bugs, half finished menus, overall slowness and ad's? :eek: Have they ever had an update that didn't break something else? :confused: And before I get accused of bashing TiVo, I had an original SD DTiVo (series 2?) that we absoulutley LOVED! I even left DirecTV for FIOS when the Premiere came out.
That's kind of ironic since DirecTV's menus still look like they're 8-bit graphics from 1999, run significantly slower than TiVo and have ads littered all throughout their program guides! :rolleyes:

(Yes, I do love me some DirecTV tho, they just priced themselves out of my market, although I do have a lone H24 left that's owned that I use during football season for NFL ST)

#8 ·
The Premiere units were ungodly slow until the Summer update. They switched the UI to a new platform and it sped up significantly. There are still a few unfinished menus but you typically only run into them in the settings. But it does seem a little ridiculous that they haven't finished them yet.
I'm glad they finally got everything worked out with the summer update. Shame it took what, 5 years?

They did more damage releasing the Premire the way it was half finished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that looked elsewhere for a DVR.

#9 ·
That's kind of ironic since DirecTV's menus still look like they're 8-bit graphics from 1999, run significantly slower than TiVo and have ads littered all throughout their program guides! :rolleyes:

(Yes, I do love me some DirecTV tho, they just priced themselves out of my market, although I do have a lone H24 left that's owned that I use during football season for NFL ST)
I'm not concerned with what the menu's look like on either system. My point was its STILL not finished.

There is no comparison between the speed of my Genie and the speed of my Premiere. None. Zero. Zilch.

Not even a race.

#13 ·
I'm not concerned with what the menu's look like on either system. My point was its STILL not finished.

There is no comparison between the speed of my Genie and the speed of my Premiere. None. Zero. Zilch.

Not even a race.
I was a little surprised the Genie my parents have wasn't faster. It was perfectly acceptable, unlike the SA8300HDCs they were using prior to that, but it was not as speedy as my original Hopper (no sling). I have no basis for comparison with any Tivo with recent hardware or software.

#14 ·
I was a little surprised the Genie my parents have wasn't faster. It was perfectly acceptable, unlike the SA8300HDCs they were using prior to that, but it was not as speedy as my original Hopper (no sling). I have no basis for comparison with any Tivo with recent hardware or software.
Do they have the HD34 or HD44? I understand there's a big difference in speed.

#19 ·
I thought you could disable that?

Scott
You most certainly can, two ways:

1. Just disable it under settings - It will stay disabled, unless you enable it again (or perhaps the next software update toggles the default back).

2. Hit slow to hide it, and it will stay hidden, until the HDUI or whole TiVo reboots, or slow is pressed again.

I think no matter how many things can be controlled in the HDUI, some will resist it, grabbing any excuse they can think of to justify not using it. *This comment is not aimed at any specific member/person, in particular, just a like-minded group of people, unwilling to accept change, and/or easily inflamed by the Discovery Bar (which can only be customized in HDUI mode).

#21 ·
According to their online account, it is an HR44-500. Like I said, it is perfectly acceptable, and changing channels is very fast, but using menus and other functions is not mind blowing by any means.
I have an HR44. It is fast, including menus. Like instantaneous, or close to it (like as fast as I click). Sounds like there may be an issue for them?

I am not referring to search and stuff like that. Just like a TiVo, when searching it can take a few seconds or more for results to populate. But menus... zappo fast.

#22 ·
I have an HR44. It is fast, including menus. Like instantaneous, or close to it (like as fast as I click). Sounds like there may be an issue for them?

I am not referring to search and stuff like that. Just like a TiVo, when searching it can take a few seconds or more for results to populate. But menus... zappo fast.
I have an HR44-500 too. It is nice. The channels do switch quickly. I have had a Premier in the past, and my parents still have cable service and a Premiere. The Roamio would be in good shape if it performed as well as the Genie HR44-500.

#23 ·
The more things change...

One of the biggest reasons I left TiVo was I got tired of waiting for them to make my original Premiere XL useable. 4 years was time enough for me. The constant crashing, reboots and missed recordings with no help from TiVo support (who blamed everyone else, including me, for the fact that their box wasnt robust enough to run their software) were enough for me to go with DirecTV and their Genie.

I won't even get into the bugs, half finished menus, overall slowness and ad's? :eek:

Have they ever had an update that didn't break something else? :confused:

And before I get accused of bashing TiVo, I had an original SD DTiVo (series 2?) that we absoulutley LOVED! I even left DirecTV for FIOS when the Premiere came out.
Yep, you're bashing Tivo again which seems to be your only purpose posting.

Nothing to see here, move along...

#24 ·
So is Roamio UI slow like Premiere ? if that is yes I wouldn't waste $$$ to upgrade.
I'm having my hope up for Apple TV DVR someday and I can ditch TiVo. TiVo better try harder before Apple get it.
I do really like TiVo it is been great but HD UI just too slow. Can switch to SD UI for quicker

#25 ·
I'm glad they finally got everything worked out with the summer update. Shame it took what, 5 years?

They did more damage releasing the Premire the way it was half finished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that looked elsewhere for a DVR.
We made the switch from Time Warner cable to Directv a few months ago, but in our case it had nothing to do with Tivo. It had everything to do with TWC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.