Newer Tivo, can it work with only antenna?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by posti, Aug 26, 2007.

1. posti

posti New Member

Aug 26, 2007

Advertisements

Greetings, newb here.

I recently moved and my roommate and I decided we're tired of paying outrageous cable prices so we opted for the old fashioned antenna. Reception is good and I live in urban Seattle so we get many channels.

I had tivo at the old place, a series 2 ordered in March of '07. upon trying to set it up I learned new tivo units are not compatible with antenna broadcasts. Here's my question: Can I mod the tivo box to include antenna broadcasts? I'm paying for tivo per my year contract and if possible it'd be nice to use it. I don't mind experimenting.

Bonus question: is it possible to broadcast streaming video from the computer to the tv via tivo? I like to watch MLBTV games on the computer and the tv is now too far away to run a chord.

Grazie

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    Welcome to the Tivo Community!

All Series 2 TiVos will work with antenna, except the Dual Tuner model (DT). That one will only work with Cable and Satellite. If your TiVo Serial Number (TSN) starts with 649, then you have a Dual Tuner unit.

You cannot modify the Dual Tuner unit to work with antenna. Not cost effectively, anyway. You could get an external tuner, but that might cost more than a new single tuner TiVo.

Answer to bonus question. The Tivo can't stream video. You would have to download the entire show first, after it had completed recording.

So to review, you need a single tuner TiVo to record off the air (OTA). You can't modify the DT to record OTA. You can't stream.

Hope that helps.
    robomeister

3. posti

posti New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks for the help.

Upon further inspection it is a Dual Tuner model, the service # starts with 649, which is unfortunate.

I guess I'm 0/2. It looks like my next step is to "downgrade" to a single tuner model, I wonder if anyone would want to trade...

Thanks