Newbie's 1st question: I'm out of room

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jerimoth, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jerimoth

Jerimoth New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Is there some recorder I should buy to download to CDs or DVDs? I've got too many shows I want to save.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Any DVD Recorder will connect to your Tivo so you can record those shows onto DVDs. Check out the DVD Recorder Forum at http://www.avsforum.com for some good recommendations.

Or, you upgrade the hard drive in your Tivo to increase its capacity. Check out the Tivo Upgrade Forum here.

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    You can also use TiVoToGo to archive your shows to a PC (and send them back if you so desire). You may want to check what quality you're recording shows in - the lower the quality, the more storage you'll have.

4. Jerimoth

Jerimoth New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Also what do you recommend in the way of the least expensive TiVO-DVD recorder. It seems that having a huge (150 hr+) storage capacity isn't that important if you can burn your favorite shows on to a CD.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Mac support for TiVoToGo and TiVoToComeBack has been slated for mid 2006.

Till then you can use a web browser pointed to HTTPS on your TiVo IP to download .tivo files but they would just sit on the Mac's drive and be useless to you as anything other than long term storage. do a forum search on HTTPS if you want to know more.

if you have solely Macs, then persue a cheap DVD recorder you can hook up for now

6. Jerimoth

Jerimoth New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    So I understand that I can't use my Mac right now- and I will need to buy a TiVo DVD recorder. Which one should I buy? I am wondering why I should spend more money on a recorder with a bigger memory when I can just record my favorite shows on discs?

7. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    You can always upgrade the hard drive as well :)

8. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    You forgot about Galleon. You can't play the files on the Mac, but you can move them to/from the Mac to use it as storage.

9. ChuckyBox

ChuckyBox New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    This one seems like a bargain. Or this one (scroll down about half way -- refurbished 80-hour box), is even better. I haven't used either, but go up a couple of levels in the TiVo Community to the Main TiVo Forums and look for a forum where you can get answers about these boxes.

Note, if you buy the box with 12 months service included, you get the "rebate" instantly. When you activate the unit, you can upgrade to lifetime service, which should bring your purchase to $450 or $550, which is a pretty good deal if you are going to keep the unit for a while (and you'll get a fair bit for it on eBay when you're done with it).

Good luck!

10. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I'd put my money in a big HDD.
    If not using Galleon (or even https to start) on the Mac (waiting for real T2G), upgrade the HDD in the TiVo.

It should be noted you cannot MRV to a DVD recorder TiVo and burn to DVD.