Newbie - Tivo question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by mzaheer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007

Advertisements

Hello all

I have recently purchased a tivo with lifetime sub and upgraded the hardrive (400gb preconfigured - bigs thanks to Tivoheaven!) and installed a cachecard with 512mb, everything seems to be working ok with the exception of sound from the tivo (live TV)?. I get sound via my amp if - I press the Aux button on the tivo remote, surely the Live TV should have sound coming as normal (picture is fine, just no sound?).

I have connected the equipment in the following way -

Tivo Aux to Sky+ (TV Scart)
    Tivo TV Scart (RGP Pal) to Plasma Scart (RGB Pal)
    Left and Right phono from Tivo to Amp (CD input phono) - Denon 3803 amp
    Pacelink rf2link - from Sky+ Rf2 output to Tivo
    Is this the best way to connect the Tivo?

I cant understand why the sound is not coming through the Live TV (Tivo)?? - but works ok through Aux?

Also, my picture occassionally has minor flickers (randomly, probably once every 3-5mins - its really quick but you can notice it if you really concentrate when viewing with Live TV. Is this a fault with the unit?)

All help appreciated!
    mzaheer

2. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK
    For the sound, have you tried pulling the plug and replacing it after 10 seconds. Sometimes a 'hard' reset is necessary to reset hardware components, which a 'soft' reset via the menus won't do.

Not sure what difference it might make, but I take the phono outputs on my TV to my amp, since it is always synchronised with the picture source.

If you have Mode 0 enabled (a hack that increases the resolution to DVD levels), then flashing can often occur, since the MPEG decoder is being run 'out-of-spec'. It varies between machines, and most people find it worth it, especially if you are using an LCD or plasma screen.

3. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    "For the sound, have you tried pulling the plug and replacing it after 10 seconds. Sometimes a 'hard' reset is necessary to reset hardware components, which a 'soft' reset via the menus won't do."

Just to clarify, do I leave Sky+ on and completely turn off the Tivo and wait 10 seconds, then turn it back on? - yes :eek:

Thanks
    mzaheer

4. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    The no sound problem is caused by failure of the sound chip to initialise correctly at startup and is very common with upgraded TiVos with large drive. It can normally be cured by a soft reboot - ie. from the System Reset menu - not a 'hard' reset :)

As Ian says, the flickering you are seeing is very probably the 'white flashes' commonly associated with Mode 0 operation. They are normally worse on aerial-only systems and BBC channels; you will probably never see them on Sky Movies for instance. However, if they really bother you, you can always swich off Mode 0 temporarily and see whether the reduction in picture quality is an acceptable trade-off for no flashes.

5. iankb

iankb New Member

Oct 9, 2000
    Reading, UK

Advertisements

Yes. The TiVo is a computer, and you just need to reset that. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an on/off switch, so you need to actually remove the power lead, or switch it off at the wall. It has been designed so that pulling the plug will not hurt it, but it is advisable to leave it for a few seconds before reconnecting.

6. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    As I just said, a soft reset should be all you need :)

7. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    For your flashes on screen problem go to the Resources Editor in TivoWeb and change DBS Best VBR Birate to 4800000 instead of 7500000. If that doesn't work you could change DBS Best Resolution to 4 instead of 1. That should definitely cure the problem, although your recording resolution will be a bit lower.

8. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Thanks Blindemon - I have managed to install everything ok, although I have cut both hands trying to install the cachecard :eek:

Having watched Live TV now, sound is back after reboot - I'll leave it @ mode 0 for now :up:

9. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Thanks Pete77 - will definetly try this later today.

10. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Many people have reported that the VBR bitrate has no effect on white flashes and my experience bears this out. I make most of my recordings at 3660000/6000000 (Mode 0) and still get occasional white flashes. The recordings I make at 7500000/9000000 have no more white flashes as far as I can tell.

Switching off Mode 0 is an obvious solution, but is not a cure for the white flashes in Mode 0;)

11. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    "It has been designed so that pulling the plug will not hurt it"

I hope Tivo is a lot more stable than Sky+, in the last 5 years I have replaced the disk 3 times due to failures (system lockups).

12. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Don't worry - TiVo is a properly written, well debugged piece of software that makes Sky+ look like it was written by a 9-year-old :D

That's not to say it's perfect, of course - nothing is - but I have never heard of anybody ever losing their recordings or setup due to a software fault; the only time that ever happens is if you get a drive failure.

13. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    The learned iankb seems to report otherwise as also does yours truly who does watch all his Live tv in Mode 0 even if I don't record much in Mode 0.

When my VBR Bitrate was 7500000 I got white flashes in live tv viewing but at the lower VBR bitrate I hardly ever do. I did see one a couple of days ago for the first time in ages.

I watch a lot of news channels live, especially for instance after a major event like today's Kent earthquake.

14. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Can anyone recommend a good url or link to show how and what TivoWeb can actually do (apologies I'm a complete newbie). I'm interested in managing my recordings over the web - if this possible.

mzaheer

15. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Thank You.

How is "padding" between recordings handled with Tivo, for example timed recordings between 4-5pm on Channel 4 and 5-6pm on Channel 5 - will the start and finish of recordings be ok? Can this be customised or is it best to leave it to Tivo to decide?

16. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Well, clearly YMMV - but my experience is different. It does also seem to be somewhat dependant on the individual TiVo, so there's another factor to try to account for. However, IMHO, the situation is nowhere near as black & white as you made it out to be and I was just trying to inject a bit of balance into the advice being offered - sorry :eek:

News channels are particularly bad for white flashes as the quality is usually pretty poor which just aggravates the situation.

17. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    There is no padding by default so in the example you give the TiVo will change channels and start a new recording at about 5 seconds before 5pm.

You can set "hard" padding in the TiVo menus for Season Passes, Wishlists and individual recordings which will force the TiVo to add x minutes to the start and/or end of the recording you are padding. Any clashes will result in the other recording being scrapped and rescheduled if possible.

However, many people with network access install EndPad instead which is much more sophisticated and gives you loads options to tinker with ;):D

18. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    No need to apologise as all these matters are highly variable in terms of the behaviour of individual Tivos and the tolerance of different individuals to white flashes versus maximum possible recording resolution.

My Tivo as a week one of production shop demonstrator seems to have had an extra going over at the factory in terms of component testing before it was released and has never suffered with the sound loss sound bug for instance and nor has it managed to wear out its existing power supply after 6 years use as some Tivos have. This despite supporting a Cachecard and 2 x 250Gb hard drives for nearly 2 years now. It also didn't have the Nicam bug although I suppose that Currys might have had this fixed when the hard drive was also possibly changed judging from the case clearly having been opened (not back on the runners on one side) before I bought it.

I believe a lower VBR bit rate than 7500000 does significantly increase total recording time even if the while flashes level is not affected?

19. mzaheer

mzaheer New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Appreciate all your help guys, thank you! :)