Newbie TiVo Premiere Owner Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CoxInPHX, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Aug 5, 2011 #1 of 20
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I couldn't resist any longer and activated one of my new TiVos, recently purchased on sale.

The Guide on the TiVo does not seem to have a notation in the program info stating the program is "NEW", (a first run episode). How do you tell if it is a first run episode or not? http://www3.tivo.com/tivo-tco/tvlistings.do

TiVos Guide is powered by Tribune Media's Zap2It and they do list New in their listings: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do

I have set up several Season Passes and selected First Run only, Yet it is still recording every episode of some programs and in the "My To Do List" It lists every single upcoming episode, even though I selected First Run only. How do I tell what is really set to record.

There is a screen called Recording History, but the list includes future recordings. The general definition of History is past events, so that is confusing me.

I'll post my 3 hour phone call experience to Cox to self install my CableCARD and Cisco Tuning Adapter, and place a link here.
    My 3 Hour CableCARD Self Install

2. Aug 5, 2011 #2 of 20
    dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    In the program guide, reruns are indicated with a "R"(no quotes though) near the end of the shows description.

Unless I am mistaken, if the show is not marked as a rerun, it is a first run show as far as the Tivo is concerned. If it is on the "To Do list", the show will be recorded. Pretty much the only thing you can do about that is just delete the shows you don't want as they are recorded. You can delete shows, before they are recorded, from the To Do list, if desired.

As far as the "Recording History" is concerned, think of it as just a label. It is just a list of shows that were not recorded, and will not be recorded. It can be quite useful, or at least informative. Not to be a smart a., but can you think of a better "label" for it? It's really nothing to fret over, or be confused about.

Well, have fun with your new toys.

3. Aug 5, 2011 #3 of 20
    CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks, It looks like you are correct about the R standing for Rerun, marking only First runs as New would seem to make more sense and follow the Zap2It listings, and every other IPG I have ever seen.

My To Do List contains many listings of reruns that also show up in the Recording History list, so this makes it very difficult to determine what is actually going to record. Does this look normal? Some are First Runs but most are reruns. At first I assumed the red check marks meant it would not record but everything has red check marks.

Attached Files:

4. Aug 5, 2011 #4 of 20
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    To a TiVo, First Run is defined as any show with an original airdate within the last 28 days that hasn't been in your Now Playing list in the same period. If the guide data doesn't have an original airdate it is also considered new just to be safe. After the first month it should settle in and only record new shows as long as the guide data is accurate.

Their definition of First Run is one of the nicest things about TiVos. Organize your Season Passes so that shows that only air once on networks like ABC, CBS & NBC are at the top of the list and shows that air multiple times on cable channels are at the bottom. That way if there's a conflict it will record the show that only airs once and pick up a later airing of the cable show.

5. Aug 5, 2011 #5 of 20
    CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks ggieseke,

That makes more sense and the fact that it will record a second or third airing of a show if there is a conflict with the First Run does sound like a big advantage to the TiVo. I did not know that.

6. Aug 7, 2011 #6 of 20
    CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have the TiVo connected to the same HDTV as my Cox 8240HDC DVR both with HDMI cables and there is a significantly noticeable difference in picture quality both on SD and HD channels. The Cox DVR has a noticeably sharper image.

I have read many reports about poor OTA tuner performance but have never seen a complaint about Cable Tuner performance.

Any Ideas as to why the TiVo might be suffering a lower PQ?
    I have bypassed the Cisco Tuning Adapter with a direct coax connection just to make sure the TA was not effecting the image.
    My understanding is that the CableCARD is just a decryption device and should not effect the PQ. Is this correct?

As for all the complaints I see about the HDUI, mine seems to work very well, and responds quickly, The short flash to black screen is a little annoying though.

7. Aug 7, 2011 #7 of 20
    CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have tried swapping both the HDMI cables and TV inputs between the Premiere and the Cox DVR, and still the results are the same, that the Cox DVR has a crisper image that is more focused, while the Premiere is softer and does not quite have the detail.

All settings on the TV are the same.
    The Premiere is set to 720p and 1080p (pass-through), but I have also tried 1080i and Video Smoothing is OFF, I do not see any difference between ON and OFF with Video Smoothing.
    Signal Strength averages 85

Next I am going to try the Composite Video to see what that looks like.

This isn't a deal killer or anything, but it just bugs me. I expected better picture quality from the TiVo.

8. Aug 8, 2011 #8 of 20
    pig_man

pig_man Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Are you sure you're tuning both boxes to the same channel? Some cable boxes have a feature that automatically tunes the HD channel, even if you enter the SD channel number. So, if you enter channel 7, the cable box will automatically tune channel 1007, which is the hypothetical HD channel. Meanwhile, if you set the Premiere to 7, it will just go to 7, the SD channel.

To check if this is your problem, find the actual HD channels in your system and enter those channels in both boxes. For example, if ESPN HD is channel 750, enter 750 into both the cable box and the premiere box.

9. Aug 8, 2011 #9 of 20
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    HDMI is digital. The cable will not have any effect whatsoever on PQ or resolution.

Once again, the QAM carrier is a digital signal. Tuner performace will not have any effect whatsoever on PQ or resolution.

Check for something that might be upscaling or downscaling the picture resolution. It's also possible there may be something wrong with the rendering engine in your TiVo. To verify, get hold of a digital test pattern and put it on your TiVo. If your other DVR allows uploading of photos, then you can upload the test pattern to it, as well.

Yes. It provides a bit more than just encryption - it provides the channel map and what have you, but it does not affect the picture content.

10. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    @ pig_man, Thanks for the response, Yes I am testing HD channel sources on both DVRs. The 8240HDC does not default to an SD channel. Example MSNBCHD is channel 1063 on Cox in Phoenix.

@ lrhorer, I Googled "digital test pattern" file download and and could not find anything, Do you have a like to a good test file?

Thanks,
    Bryan

11. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm not sure this is true. I have had lots of shows that were in my To Do List that are not recorded. Most of the time it's when it doesn't have enogh information from the guide data to know if it's a repeat or first run. Look at your To Do List when there is one of those marathon viewings, like Pawn Stars or something like that.

12. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    I usually just record both to be safe for it's easy nuff to delete with a recorded programs which have already been viewed

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    The Tivo default is to record a show if the guide data is incomplete. That's why the Tupper Method was invented. More likely, the shows aren't recorded because the Tivo doesn't think there is going to be enough space. This is especially true if one uses KUID on Season Passes.

14. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry in advance if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Can I create a folder on the Premiere, name it Music Videos, and upload mp4 video files for playback from the My Shows list?

If so could someone point me to the correct directions.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    At this point you can't name folders on any TiVo, TiVo does the naming. I not talking about any hacking of the TiVo.

16. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do mp4 files need to be converted to mpeg first, or can the Premiere upload and play mp4 files?

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    They usually have generic descriptions so they are picked up initially, but again, usually a short time before they actually air, like maybe a day before, more data comes along and the SP rejects them as repeats.

18. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I believe if you use PyTivo, you can "push" mp4 files to the Tivo and they will play. There might be specific encoding parameters involved, so check the PyTivo thread in the Home Media section of the forum.

19. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am having so much fun "Pushing" (uploading) w/ pyTiVo, 720p and 1080p, mp4, Music Videos, downloaded from YouTube. I have created a folder named for each artist, (Ex. "Music Videos: Depeche Mode") and am placing and creating custom metadata for each file. When I get some time I will write up the procedure. It took a lot of research on this forum and others to figure out how to do it. I am sure there are die hard TiVo fans that know how to do this but, it does not seem to be a common pursuit.

So F*&K the crappy YouTube and Music Choice apps and their crummy video quality, When you can have 1080p pushed with pyTiVo. :)

20. steve614

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    :up:

Great that you got it working.

Yeah, it takes a little effort but most of the knowledge is here. In fact, your write up could possibly help make things easier for future forum members.
    I wish I had more time to tinker with the 3rd party applications so I could have been more helpful.