Newbie/techno-naive has a ? re: stuttering/stalling unit

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bmwdude, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bmwdude

bmwdude New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I believe that it is a series one unit. I bought the Directv/Tivo unit when they first came out and have a lifetime subscription. The problem has become progressively worse in that 1) the unit takes forever to respond to inputs from the remote, 2) pixelation and sputtering/stuttering of video, 3) as of a few minutes ago, just black screen and no response, 4) rebooted or cleared everything per prompts which took over one hour and appears to only have made things worse, etc....

What the heck is going on and what, if anything is the solution? Please help. I need to be able to have an ample supply of Kim Possible on reserve for my six-year old to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

Thanks.

2. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Sounds like the hard drive is failing. All your symptoms are typical of hard drive errors. Since this unit is quite old, it seems that this is very likely.

The good news is that the lifetime applies to your Directv account and not the unit. The bad news is that there are no new TiVo based Directv units available. However, you can buy them used.

3. bmwdude

bmwdude New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I replaced the hard drive a couple of years ago but, just to rule that out, I will replace it again. Thanks.

As far as the lifetime issue, is it the card that is the key to this? Is it that the card just moves from machine to machine over a lifetime?

I am hoping that I can get this one to work. I have heard that series one machines are good to keep.....some hacking thing, I guess.

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Lifetime is kept on your account with Directv. It has nothing to do with the card. Unlike standalone TiVos, you can replace your TiVo at any time and still keep the lifetime DVR service. You can also add DVRs without any additional DVR charge. (There usually is a mirroring fee for the additional DVR.)

I am not sure that there is any advantage to a series 1 Directv TiVo. The Series 2 TiVos are still hackable, except for the R10 (which is sometimes considered a series 2.5). The series 2 TiVos also have newer software that includes features such as groups.