Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Jack Ford, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021

Advertisements

I am a Spectrum "bulk account" customer, i.e., my condo development signed an exclusive contract with Spectrum for TV, Internet and Phone for all thousands of units in exchange for lower rates.

My HDHomeRun Prime doesn't work, because Spectrum has labeled most channels DRM encrypted. However, Spectrum informed me that TIVO does work. We watch news channels, PBS, C-Span, HBO, etc., and I also have a 4K Fire Stick and a 4K Chromecast, and a 3TB WD MyCloud NAS, all connected to the router which is near the main living room TV.

Questions:
    • Is there any compelling reason for me to buy an Edge rather than a Bolt?
    • I can't run Coax or Cat-5 cabling to the other 2 TV's to connect 2 Minis to the main TIVO. But can I connect them to the main TIVO wirelessly with a TP-Link AC750 (TL-WR902AC)? Any specific instructions on how to do this?
    • Isn't there a port on the back for a NAS? Are there any difficult issues regarding storing and accessing content on my NAS with a TiVo? If they are too daunting, I could live with a 3TB TIVO and regularly delete what I don't need to keep.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  2. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Can't answer all but I have similar circumstances living in a complex with Spectrum included. At the time, and as of about 6 months ago, Spectrum's own DVR was a 2 channel and no whole home both of which are non-starters for me.
    I bought the TIVO equipment and when the Spectrum guy came to do the install he installed all the TIVO stuff for me. They can do MOCA and whole home because each room's jack is actually connected to each other in the communications closet. All worked fine.
    Good to hear Spectrum still says they support TIVO stuff.
    3TB not big enough? I have a 1 TB unit and don't think I use 10% of it. I watch a show and then delete it. I guess some people keep recordings for ever but not our style.

3. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Thank you. But now I have a few more questions.
    • What model TiVo did you buy?
    • Did you buy the TiVo from Spectrum? What was the cost? If not, did Spectrum install it with or without cost?
    • I have a communications panel in the MBR, so maybe Spectrum hooking up MOCA is reason enough for Spectrum to do the installation.
    • How many Mini TiVos do you have and we they all working ok?
    • Did your solution allow you to return your STBs?
    Thanks again

4. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Ambassador to the City of Chicago TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The "NAS" (I assume you mean E-sata) port only supported certain WD Expander drives and they are no longer made.

If you need more than 3TB, go with a WeaKnees expanded Roamio with Lifetime Service. If you really want a Bolt, you can get more than 3TB with an expansion kit, but it's a pain (external drive). The Roamio can do 3.5inch internal drives, so all in one box. Bolts are known for running warm and having temp-related issues.

The AC750 is fine for wireless streaming, note that Spectrum uses MPEG-2 - the Minis do no transcoding so you're streaming full line rate, up to 20mbps sometimes, so multiple Mini streams can congest the wireless environment if they're all streaming at once. Leave them at TiVo Central while you're not actively watching them.

5. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply. As I said, I'm a TIVO newbie, so don't laugh.
    • I don't need more than 3TB; I delete frequently and am not building a never-to-be-watched-again video library.
    • I don't necessarily "want" a Bolt. The hump is pretty ugly, and the Edge is more modern. Apparently, WeaKnees doesn't sell the edge.
    • Since I can't run coax or cat-5, is MOCA the way to go? Should I have Spectrum install everything?
    Thanks again

6. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I didn't buy TIVO through Spectrum but direct from TIVO. I have 2 MINI"s and they work fine - I never had STB's

7. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Which TiVo and did Spectrum install MOCA?

8. Pokemon_Dad

Pokemon_Dad Ruler of Unown UI

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    My Bolt had hardware quality issues, while from what I've read the Edge's problems seem to be more in software, and Edge improvements are ongoing. Even if they resolved most Bolt issues, it was a problematic design overall, plus it's discontinued so will get less and less support.

So I would say Edge, but like many here I'd recommend instead a Roamio Pro from WeaKnees. As I've posted to great acclaim many times before, the Roamio was the last great TiVo. The Edge would be better for streaming services, but other options like Apple TV or Fire TV are far better for that.

I see the Edge on the WeaKnees website, with up to 14 TB of storage, though they have to add that with an external HD. Did WeaKnees tell you they're out of stock for good? Anyway, as I said, I'd go with one of their Roamio Pros. Is 10 TB internal storage enough for you?

MOCA requires coax, so you'll have to try Wi-Fi. I can't answer the question about Spectrum but I will say that I wouldn't let my local Xfinity techs anywhere near my TiVo stuff (except maybe to access the CableCARD, and even that I'd prefer to do myself via the self-serve website).

krkaufman likes this.
  9. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    I have another idea. I saved this one for a separate post as it's a bit of a segue, but it could save you a lot of expense and headache. Have you considered trying Channels DVR? Their beta TVE feature may be all you need, if it picks up the Spectrum channels you want. That wouldn't include HBO, but you can stream from HBO Max on your Fire TV or other device.

Channels DVR offers a one-month trial, and it's only $8/mo or $80/year after that. You'd need to install the main software on a spare PC/Mac or an NAS, but it's not a highly technical install at all. The client apps are free. I run it with HDHR units for OTA and cable, but I've tried TVE as a source and it was a lot of fun though it's stereo only at this time.

TVE page: Channels — TV Everywhere
    Support Forum: Provider - Spectrum

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ++

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Aside from the beta TVE feature, Spectrum’s usually a bad fit for Channnels owing to heavy copy protection. Right?

edit: p.s. ah, OP is aware:

12. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Spectrum is a bad fit for Channels if your source is an HDHR Prime. (Edit: per your edit, he is aware of that.) The TVE beta is an alternate source, and as far as I know currently works with all the Spectrum channels he named except HBO.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  13. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    What is "TVE beta"?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  15. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    To expand on what I wrote in post #9 above, TV Everywhere (TVE) is part of the infrastructure behind apps like Spectrum TV. The Channels DVR beta TVE feature would make use of the same login you'd use for the Spectrum website and app, to record and live stream with Channels DVR. It accesses regular cable channels, but not On Demand or other features of the Spectrum TV app, and doesn't get premiums like HBO but as I said there's another app for that. OK? Or TMI? :)

16. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Thanks. I was unaware of TVE. How would I access it? Is it subscription based? (They all need revenue.) And, won't I still need STBs and Spectrum if I want regular channels?

17. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    You would need a Spectrum subscription, but not a STB. You would also need a Channels DVR subscription, with the Channels server software installed as I described in post #9 above, and Channels client apps on your Fire TV and Chromecast/Android TV devices.

18. ManeJon

ManeJon Active Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Bolt and 2 mini - yes Spectrum installed MOCA -

19. Pokemon_Dad

Jan 19, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    @Jack Ford scroll down here for a way to check what channels are available with a Spectrum subscription via TVE login: TV Everywhere Availability

If this won't give you all the channels you want, or if this is just getting to be too much work, then I suggest you focus on TiVo again — and our recommendations of a Roamio Pro from WeaKnees.

20. Jack Ford

Jack Ford New Member

Apr 19, 2021
    Thank you. That was handy. We're not interested in 90%+ of the channels. One might ask why we own any TVs. o_O C-Span isn't available - strange. Does the Roamio Pro access the entire Spectrum lineup including the premium channels, such as HBO and Showtime?
    Thanks again