Newbie question - using a separate network for MoCA

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gettingbetter, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gettingbetter

gettingbetter New Member

Jan 2, 2016

Advertisements

I have read for a few hours and have a setup in mind and would appreciate a sanity check.

Background:
    - I am planning to switch from X1 DVR + 4 X1 boxes
    - Planning to switch to BOLT + 4 minis
    - Never used anything but cable boxes my entire adult life (25 yrs).
    - Unhappy with comcast for a few years, but never had time to act on it.

Goals of my setup
    - internet/WAN connection only gets used by BOLT to pull listings or netflix/Amazon from the internet
    - The MoCa traffic will not bleed onto my main network that is used by the PCs, internet TVs, iphones etc.

Planned Setup:
    - My BOLT in my living room will be getting its ethernet from Powerline adapter (15Mbps or so, although its a 500Mbps adapter). The main router currently sits in the basement and feeds a lot of other stuff.
    - I plan to setup a router (lets call it - TivoLinksys) next to the BOLT, feed the powerline ethernet from my main network into the WAN port of the TivoLinksys router.
    - Next feed ethernet from one of the LAN ports of the TivoLinksys into the BOLT
    - Enable MoCa from BOLT for the minis

Will I be able to accomplish my goals with the setup?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers/feedback!

Raj

2. Eskimo2

Eskimo2 Member

Dec 14, 2015
    Central PA
    Using the powerline adapter to feed a router, that in turn feeds the Bolt, seems unnecessarily complex to me. Is there a reason you wanted to go that route as opposed to connecting the Bolt to your existing wireless network?

I'm thinking a direct wireless connection will be stable and faster than a double-NATed powerline connection of varying quality.

If a paranoia about the Tivo's trying to communicate with your other equipment is the reason for wanting to feed everything through a second router, then what about setting up a new SSID on your main router and have all traffic on that segregated from your pain network. (Consumer grade equipment often refer to this as "guest mode")

3. gettingbetter

gettingbetter New Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Eskimo2 - Thanks for the reply.

The only reason for going the complex route is that one of the PDF guides on the tivo website seemed to suggest that wireless couldn't be used by the BOLT in conjunction with MoCa with a Mini.

It is possible I misunderstood what the pdf guide was trying to say.

(support.tivo.com/servlet/fileField?id=0BE380000008YYw - See the text under 4 - Home Network).

Thanks!
    Raj

4. mstrumpf

mstrumpf Member

Jul 29, 2010
    New England
    I would not worry about separating the networks. I have bunches of stuff on my network, multiple access points, printers, computers, three tivos and two minis. Nothing slows stuff down. I am all Cat5e but MoCA should work fine anywhere you don't have Cat5 cable. If you have coax near the router, just get a MoCA adapter and run everything on that. It is simpler and you will be able to use network based remotes and apps, such as the iphone, without issues.

5. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008

Advertisements

Here's a loaded question for you: are any of the current X1 boxes in a room that has a wired connection to the router in the basement?

If so, you could use a MoCA adapter (or the Bolt) in that room to create the MoCA network, so that you could avoid WiFi and/or powerline adapters. The thing with WiFi and and powerline adapters for video streaming is sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Since you want to use MoCA already, if your MoCA network has a wired connection to the main router, then you'll have a clean path for streaming Netflix etc.

The other benefit is you can then think of the MoCA network as simply an extension of the LAN. You could attach an ethernet switch to the ethernet port of the Bolt to extend your LAN to the room where the Bolt resides. Attaching MoCA enabled WiFi extenders has some serious benefits. All of the streaming traffic between the Bolt and Minis will still remain confined to the MoCA network, but the MoCA network has plenty of bandwidth for carrying non-video traffic as well.