newbie question- R10 download help!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by katgirl, Aug 19, 2007.

1. katgirl

katgirl New Member

Aug 19, 2007

Advertisements

hopefully someone here can help, as DirecTV tech support wasn't much help. I just bought a NIB R10 off someone on e-bay and got it hooked up today. I have all my channels, and everything is working fine except when I go into "Connect to DVR service". It makes the call, connects, but stays stuck in "downloading" for hours!!! The software version is 6.1-01-2-521. Is it just downloading a TON of updates, or might something else be wrong? Directv told me that it might be because my phone line has DSL. So, they told me to try putting the receiver in "slow modem" mode, and connect the phone line directly to the phone jack- not through the DSL filter. It wouldn't even make a connection when I tried this!! So, I've reconnected it through the DSL filter. I've even tried changing the phone # it is connecting to. Am I missing something? Or, is it just downloading a bunch of stuff to update to a newer software version? Thanks!!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Something isn't right - I don't think updates come over the phone line at all anymore. The updates themselves come over the satellite, but the command to trigger the update comes during a phone call, so you need to figure out something. Using the DSL filter is appropriate, and the "slow modem" command ",#019" as a dialing prefix may help.

3. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    If the updates aren't currently in the satellite stream, they will download over the phone line, and could take quite a long time, and multiple connects to get all the update.

phox

4. katgirl

katgirl New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    When you say "multiple connects", what do you mean? Should I somehow disconnect the download, and reconnect? What is the most recent system software for the R10? Do you think it is just trying to download a bunch of stuff at once?

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

Multiple connects meaning it will get parts of the newest software each time it connects.

They call it "slices", and they do this when the release is rather large, so the receiver doesn't tie up your phone line for hours trying to get it.
    It will get a slice or two each night when it calls, then once it gets them all it puts them together and reboots to install it.

That's how I understand it anyway.

IIRC, there isn't a current software upgrade for the R10 being delivered by satellite, only by phone.

phox

6. katgirl

katgirl New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    so, I shouldn't worry about doing the manual connect, then? It's been trying to "download" most of the day today. At one point, it looked like it finished, then it said that it failed to process the data on the last step. So, I reconnected and it's been downloading for last hour again. Should I just disconnect it? Do I need to worry about whatever update it needs? I just wouldn't want it to do this every time it tries to connect on its own... get hung up for hours at a time.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Hours is too long - something is wrong. You may want to take the box to a friend's house where they don't have DSL, hook it up to a TV (no satellite needed) and phone line. Power it on. When you get the "searching for satellite" message, press the DirecTV button. Then try having it make a phone call and see what happens.