Newbie Question. Confused!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mobkon, Jan 14, 2006.

1. mobkon

mobkon New Member

Jan 12, 2006

Advertisements

hey all, I read thru the FAQs and all but I am confused about one thing. I have two shows that both come on at the same time, on the same day during the week. Can I record one while I watch the other? In the FAQ I gathered that I could do this, but I would not be able to use the buffer to rewind etc. I have a series 1 PVT100 and its been working great! I just havnt had the chance to try this out yet, and I want to make sure I dont miss a show.

Also, if my TV is off, will the TiVo record shows for me?? Hah, i know its probably a dumb question, but I couldnt find an answer anywhere. Thanks all!

-James

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    James,

No, the TiVo cannot record two things at the same time. Unless you have a combination DirecTV/TiVo combo box.

You can split your cable before it goes into the TiVo, and run one leg of the split to another input on your TV. That will give you the ability to watch one of the shows live while the other one records on the TiVo. Of course, you could put a VCR or another TiVo on that leg, and then you could record on that leg too.

Your TiVo will record shows for you if your TV is off (that's kinda the point :)). However, if you are using a cable box in conjunction with your TiVo, that does have to stay on.

Good luck!

3. mobkon

mobkon New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    So I can run a splitter from the cable jack on the wall and run one cable up to the tivo, then one into the tv? Then just run the audio/video cables from the TiVo into the tv? That would allow me to watch a show while one records, correct?

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Right. You use the TV tuner to watch one show live and the TiVo for recorded shows.

5. mobkon

mobkon New Member

Jan 12, 2006

Advertisements

Ok so I just set up a splitter. It all looks good. Does splitting the signal lessen the quality of the cable?

6. Knative

Knative A Walk in the Woods

Oct 22, 2000
    Sunny...
    What are the two conflicting shows? Or, more importantly, does one of the two repeat later in the day/week? With the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) you might be out of luck. But if one or both is on a 'cable' channel (TBS, HBO, TNT, Sci-Fi, etc.) there will usually be a repeat that you can catch later that night or later in the week.

Pull up the show by name and hit "View Upcoming Episodes" to see if one of the two repeats. If one does, put it just below the non-repeating show in the SPM.