Newbie question about Guide and Green Thumb

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by VideoRoy, May 23, 2011.

1. VideoRoy

VideoRoy Member

May 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Newbie here trying to figure out how to navigate around.

I searched but I cannot figure out how to tell if a program is going to record or not from the guide. If I navigate to a sho!w I have setup for season pass the same Green Thumb is there whether it is a repeat or new and I have all my shows setup to record new only.

If I go to ToDoList it will tell me but I was hoping I could just tell from the guide somehow. This is actually a feature I did like on my Comcast DVR but I feel like I am missing something simple.

Thanks!

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Unfortunately the Guide does not indicate if an upcoming show will be recorded. The green thumb is just your Thumbs rating. When you set up a Season Pass, that show will automatically get one thumb. You can adjust this with the Thumbs Up (to add more) or Thumbs Down (to take away) buttons on your remote.

3. VideoRoy

VideoRoy Member

May 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, I was afraid that was the case after playing with it for a while. Lot's of learning to and retraining from the cable DVR. Like I said that was one feature I liked but so far the only one :) There were actually 2 indicators in the SA8300 I wish Tivo guide would consider picking up. One was the indicator that this program would not be recorded. The CC DVR would shade scheduled recordings different in the guide. Second would be the would be an indication that it was a repeat airing.

I would think the repeat indicator would be an easy one since the guide info must carry it already since it knows not to record. I personally almost always record new only.

I appreciate the help and quick reply!

4. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    If you press the "2" button from TiVo Central it acts as a shortcut to take you directly to the To Do List.

A quick note on reruns: TiVos go by the original air date, not the R in the program description. Anything with an OAD within the last 28 days is considered to be a first-run show unless it has already appeared in your Now Playing List in the same time period. When you set up your season passes keep the shows that only air once at the top of the list, and give shows on cable channels that repeat several times a lower priority. That way if there's a conflict it will record the later 'rerun' even when your Season Pass is set to first run only.

5. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006
    The one thing I do is to hit the record button. If it is going to record that show, it will ask if you want to record the show still or cancel the recording. If it's not going to record the show then it will ask if you want to record it, season pass and other options, and some other choice.