Newbie - Networking TIVO premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Butch32940, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Butch32940

Butch32940 New Member

Feb 27, 2002

Advertisements

I just purchased a TIVO Primiere and want to network it with my computer. I am running Widows 7 and have a modem connection through Brighthouse. I know that I need a TIVO adaptor. What should I be looking for in a wireless router from my computer?
    I particularly want to stream Netflix movies to my television. Some have said that I need a dual router. Others have indicated that I need a 300N router. I'm totally confused. Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    If you really want to do it right, by some MoCA adaptors, and extend your network over the existing coax cable.

3. fredct

fredct Member

Nov 15, 2004
    NJ
    Any wireless router should do it. Wireless G would be sufficient although may be a bit slow if you transfer HD programming. Wireless N would be great. Things like 'dual band' are nice options, but aren't required for anything.

It looks like '300N' is a particular model of router, which might have been someone's suggestion, but is just one of dozens of models that would work fine.

4. AlexFL

AlexFL New Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Butch32940, check out my post "Moca Install on Fios". I agree with orangeboy, Moca should be able to give you the best setup to network your TiVo Premiere with other TiVo's and/or your computer(s). That's exactly what I'll be doing when my 2 TiVo Premieres get installed tomorrow.

5. rage777

rage777 Member

Aug 19, 2006

Advertisements

So are you saying you don't have any routers? Your broadband signal goes straight to your computer? If so, then you can get any wireless/MoCA router as your main router. You don't HAVE to get the Tivo adapter. You can buy a cheaper wireless router and make it a wireless bridge and connect your Tivo straight to that router. Before I had Fios installed I had a cheap wireless G Netgear router, installed dd-wrt on it and made it a wireless bridge. It wasn't super fast because it was a wireless G router, but I never lost connection either.

6. SDdude

SDdude New Member

May 24, 2002
    Buy the MoCA networking adapters - the Boxee site is having a sale on them for 2 for $99 (normally $99 apiece). These are by far, the best way to connect TiVos if you don't have an Ethernet network already in the house.

http://blog.boxee.tv/

**From now through Oct 16th, ActionTec is offering Boxee users a pair of MoCA Ethernet to coax bridges for $99 (half the regular price of $199) with the code “BoxeeMocaDeal”.**