Newbie Needs Wired Router Recommendations

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bigblueq, Jan 10, 2006.

1. bigblueq

bigblueq New Member

Jan 10, 2006

Advertisements

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, probably thousands of times, but I have only been able to find threads concerning wireless router recommendations for a network.

I want to set up a network for my 80 hr Series 2 to use the Tivo2Go features. Ver. 7.2 software on Tivo. I have basic to moderate computer skills, but have never had to come close to a network before. I plan on using a Linksys 200m, or a Netgear FA120 ethernet adapter.

Any recommendations on a competent network router? Only one desktop PC in the house, and no interest right now in wireless. Windows XP in PC.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You may as well buy wireless - that's what's available at ridiculously low prices nowadays. Anything will do - CompUSA runs sales almost weekly for low-end routers at $19.99 and under. You will want to either disable the wireless mode, if possible, or be sure to set up the security properly.

I'd recommend the Netgear adapter over the Linksys, if for no other reason that currently available USB200Ms don't work with TiVo.

3. Tracy RainH2o

Tracy RainH2o Photo Man

Nov 17, 2005
    Georgia
    Personally, I would suggest on getting a wireless router. You can plug your CAT5 cables into the back. This way if you ever buy another desktop or a laptop, and decide to go wireless, you are set. I would keep an eye out for deals at your local Office Depot, Staples, Circuit City...... I bought my wireless router for less than I would have paid for a wired network switcher.

As for the USB Ethernet adapters, The FA120 is preforable over the 200M in most people's mind. The design is much sturdier.

4. yostmatt

yostmatt mE

Apr 6, 2005
    Hollidaysbur...
    I wireless router will do the same thing as a wired, you can just disable the WIFI. Just make sure you dont get a Access Point, make sure it is a router, a AP wont have the avaliable ports on the the back. I have a D-Link, and it has a really easy wizzard that could help people that have never done it before.

5. jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002

Advertisements

I have the Linksys WRT54G, this is a wireless G router, with 4 ports on the back for plugging in devices such as the PC and TiVo. I have 2 TiVo's each with the Linksys USB200M adapter. Both TiVo's and the PC are hard wired to the router (using ports 1-3 on the back). I have the wireless turned OFF, except when I need to use my laptop (which has a wireless card).

I am pretty happy with this setup. The WRT54G can be found for between $40-$50 after rebates, and the USB200M runs around $30. The only catch, make sure that you get VERSION 1 for the USB adapter. As you may know, version 2 is not currently compatible with TiVo.

To distinguish the difference between the two: Version 1 has a picture of an orange/white CD on the right side of the box, while version 2 has no CD image whatsoever on the right side of the box. It may take a bit of searching, but you should be able to find one. If not, you have other options, as other posters have mentioned.

6. bigblueq

bigblueq New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    As soon as I get to the stores (4 month old at home) I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for the input!

7. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I'm using a D-link DI-614+ which is an older 802.11b unit. I had stopped using it after a while as I couldn't get a reliable wireless signal. However, as a WIRED router it works great. I just hooked it back up in anticipation of getting my wired USB adapter which I ordered directly from the TiVo store.

To increase security, I removed the antennas from the router and I also added an encryption key. Unfortunately there is no way (that I am aware of) to totally disable the WiFi portion with this router.