Newbie Needs Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by coachj14, Mar 14, 2011.

1. coachj14

coachj14 New Member

Mar 14, 2011

Advertisements

I have been looking into setting up my A/V for my home that I am currently remodeling [as in the walls are open and I am running wires next couple of weeks].

I will have Cox cable to the house and was looking into multiple Cox DVR's, and trying to see if I could set them up in a hub through IR so that I could choose which dvr signal to use from any TV and also be able to watch different shows in different rooms. I figured out that I would need each DVR hooked to a 1x3 switch. The problem is in the remotes - If I am sitting in the living room and use the remote to change the channel or watch a recording, I believe that the remote would change both DVR's at the same time as I don't believe that COX DVR boxes and remotes are paired.

So, in researching, I am looking at TIVO.

Here is what I am trying to do, let me know if it is possible:

I will have three rooms [main, bed, office]. I will also have a central connection closet where I will house a computer, my stereo receivers and the TIVO/DVR setup. I want to be able to record more than 2 shows while watching one. Therefore, I believe I need multiple TIVO sets. At minimum, I want to be able to watch 2 live broadcasts while recording 3-4 shows [I am a basketball coach and record games regularly while watching others].

I also don't want to be stuck watching the recording in any particular room, but be able to get that recording to a TV of my choice at the time.

I would also like to be able to transfer the recordings to my computer as well.

A few questions:

1] Do I need multiple TIVO's?
    2] Can you send a signal/recording from one TIVO box to multiple TV sets [as in, deciding to watch something in a different room - not watching the same thing on all TV's]?
    3] IF I was to centralize two TIVO boxes into a closet [as a hub] and use IR in the three rooms to control the TIVO boxes [and stereo receivers, etc.], will I be able to control each TIVO separately [with two remotes, or even one]? - in other words, can you select which box you are controlling and not control both, so I don't change the channel in my office and have my kid in the main room scream at me for changing that channel too.
    4] I understand there is MRV - however, with the setup above, I wouldn't need to transfer the recording to the other box, because I would be simply selecting which box to get the signal from when I am in the room of choice. Is that even possible?
    5] If it isn't possible, could I use a computer as a hub to transfer recordings to, then send to the TV's via HDMI so that all recordings are in one place and I would only need to get the recording from one place, while watching live via the TIVO box?
    6] It states that copyright protected shows cannot be transferred to a hard drive. How many shows, as a percentage, are non-transferrable [typically, I watch mostly basic cable channels like ESPN, AMC, Discovery, etc...]

I know this is a lot, but any help would be appreciated.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    CONDUIT!

CONDUIT!

CONDUIT!

If you install conduit (lots of it) for your non-power wiring (telephone, ethernet, speaker wire, antenna cables, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, it'll be there in the future when you want to do something that you didn't originally think of or that won't exist until the future, and you won't have to rip out and replace any sheet rock.

Get your contractor to tell you about "smurf pipe", otherwise known as ENT, electrical non-metallic tubing. It's sort of corrugated looking, and the Carlon brand of it is a blue that gives it its nickname. It's more flexible and easier to run than the gray plastic (Schedule 40) conduit usually used for electrical power wiring when non-metal conduit is used.

If you're doing the non-power wiring yourself, you can probably install ENT yourself. If you want more info, PM or email me.

3. coachj14

coachj14 New Member

Mar 14, 2011
    How does conduit answer any of my questions. I am well aware that I need to wire the home prior to drywall, as well as make sure I wire both coax and cat6 [and even HDMI]. But that wasn't my question at all.

Do you have any help on my actual question?

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It answers the question you didn't know you needed to ask.

I'm still researching the answers to your other questions.

5. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008

Advertisements

Get three or so TiVos. Put them in a central location* and use HDMI splitters to allow each TV a dedicated connection to each TiVo (or you can use component). Use IR extenders to allow you to control the TiVos from your TV rooms. Set up the TiVos to respond to different remote addresses (1 - 9). Each TV should have at least 3 HDMI inputs (unless you choose component for some or all).

*central location should be well ventilated to prevent overheating.

6. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I know nothing on controlling HDMI splitters, but for controlling the tivos themselves, you can use an ipod touch with your wireless network to control each of the units without IR extenders.

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I assume HDMI switches, not splitters, is what is meant here, and they are certainly available with remote control, though if you have more than one I don't know if any are separately addressable. The TiVos support up to three remote addresses.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Are you sure?
    I thought there were ten.
    You can set the remote address to 0 (universal) or 1 - 9 discreet (i.e. if you have four remotes, you can control 8 Tivos in the same room.).
    Or am I wrong with that assumption?

I have four Tivos, but not in the same room. The two Tivos in the living room are set to adresses 1 & 2, and the other two Tivos in the bedroom are set to addresses 3 & 4.
    I would assume that if I put them in the same room, I would be able to control them individually. Is that not the case?

Check this thread to see if Cox is listed for your area.
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=451107

A lot of cable companies have everything blocked except for OTA locals.

9. hdog

hdog hdog

Nov 10, 2002
    Lisle, IL
    I agree, 1-9 individual addresses 0 is global.
    I have three tivos in the same room. Control each individually.

10. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Why assume that? Both should work. (Maybe using switches will end up being cheaper?) For each source TiVo, split the signal to go into an HDMI input for each of the TVs in the three rooms. Most TVs these days seem to have three or more HDMI inputs anyway. If you have a TV with less than 3 HDMI inputs (or multiple TVs in any room), you could go with splitters in the AV closet and switches in the rooms, for that matter.

BTW TiVo supports up to 9 individual addresses. And you can do it with one remote, if you want to put up with changing addresses - for the remote only - on the fly (takes maybe 10 seconds to do).

11. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I guess I was remembering the Sony TiVos that had 3.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The Sonys do those 3 as 1,2,3, not 0,1,2. Apparently 1 on the Sony corresponds to 0 on the Philips and its descendents.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Just a warning about systems depending on extensive use of HDMI and TiVo:
    Some combinations of TiVo and TV do not support reliable HDMI operation and the result frequently is TiVo lockups and reboots. This puts the kabosh on long video runs from TiVo to TV, unless you like running 5 RCA cables per TV.

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Hence my recommendation for conduit. You can change out or add cables in the future if necessary, and the consumer electronics biz is all about making you "upgrade" whenever they can.