Newbie needs help from you experts

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bburke1004, Jan 8, 2007.

1. bburke1004

bburke1004 New Member

Jul 9, 2002

Advertisements

I'm currently using software version 6.3 on my HR10. Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing frequent freezing of both audio and video lasting for a couple of seconds at a time. In addition as I scroll through the guide it will display info for some channels immediately, but will take 3 or 4 seconds to fill in other channels on the same screen. Neither the recent software update to 6.3 nor manually restarting the unit nor freeing up space on the hard drive seems to help. I'm thinking the hard drive may be failing? I realize we aren't supposed to discuss hacking in this thread, and was hoping that someone could direct me to step by step instructions for a novice to copy the the hard drive to a blank, or possibly offer some other solution short of buying a new unit. Thanks !!

2. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    The problems you are having are the same ones I was having and are caused by version 6.3 of the software DirecTV recently downloaded. I went back to version 3.1.5f of the software and now have two reliable HR10-250s. I used the instructions from WeaKnees to restore my units. The problem would be, you probably don't have a copy of the 3.1.5f software, but I think you may be able to download it somewhere on the internet, I just don't know where.

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

3. bburke1004

bburke1004 New Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Thanks bpratt, my only concern is that I be trading one problem for another since I was plagued with many of the issues that others were experiencing with version 3.1.5.
    I welcome opinions from others on whether or not they agree that this issue is probably software related and not a potential drive failure.

4. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    So you think the problems with 3.1.5f are worse than those on 6.3a/b? The only problem I had with 3.1.5f in two years was the database would grow over time which caused things to get slower and slower. I got around that by doing a "clear and delete everything" every 6 to 9 months.
    During the two months I had 6.3a and 6.3b on my two HR10-250s, I had audio dropouts, missed recordings, reboots and lockups that required the plug to be pulled. 6.3 did respond slightly faster though when it was up.