Newbie: Heresy!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by swerdnaneb, Jul 18, 2007.

1. swerdnaneb

swerdnaneb New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Advertisements

Hi, guys.

I'm only asking this because I'm looking for a cheap half-step into TiVo. I have a guy with a spare Series 2 TiVo. I'm wondering if I can use it without the TiVo service... Meaning... without the TiVo service, will it operate as a DVR, just without all the cool features like "season pass" and all that?

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to throw vegetables at me for such a silly question, may I suggest carrots. I like carrots. And lettuce.

//That's not food. That's what food eats.

2. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Nope. The Series 2 without a subscription is good for things that would utilize it's weight and size only. Doorstop, to get your TV up higher, etc.

3. swerdnaneb

swerdnaneb New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Now that you mention it... my television is a little low...

Thanks, pkscout!

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    since you like cheap then use the case for a salad bowl.

no sub no series 2 goodness

5. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...

Advertisements

The Series 2 and 3's do not work without a Tivo Subscription. You can play previously recorded shows on them but thats about it. They are pretty much a Doorstop, Boat Anchor etc without a Sub.

The earlier Series 1's could work without a Sub, being set up for Manual Recording etc. Until Tivo released Software versions to do away with that. You need Software version 1.3 or earlier to do this.

6. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Not correct. Nearly all Series 1 standalone TiVos can be used without a sub, no matter what software version is on them at present. The key is how they shipped from the factory. If the box shipped with version 1.3 or earlier, you're fine. Only a small number of late-run Sony SVR-2000s shipped with 2.x software and require a sub. All of the Philips HDRxxx models are fine.

The only catch is that if you do a Clear and Delete Everything, you have to contact TiVo and ask them to "reset the unsubbed recording" flag for your box and then do a "daily call".

7. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can't tell from the outside. If you open the box, look at the hard disk label. If it is the TiVo original disk, it will have a stamp on it (usually) indicating the software version, at least in the several boxes I have looked at, but this is not guaranteed.

The only foolproof way, I think, is to call TiVo, give them the TSN, and ask, then hope you get a support rep who knows what you're asking. Somehow they can figure it out from the TSN - I guess from a manufacturing database.

Again, only a few Sony SVR-2000s are affected by this. The Philips and TiVo-branded S1 boxes all shipped with 1.3 or earlier.

8. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes you can tell from the Outside. Just look at when your Series 1 was manufactured. If it was before October of 2001 then it should of been shipped with Software Version 1.3 or earlier.

Popping open the Tivo unit and looking at the Hard Drive would only work if it is the original HD. If the HD has been replaced, then that idea would not work.

Now, if your unit has updated Software, you may of lost the manual recording ability. In fact Tivo did this on purpose to stop the units from being able to manually record. Why? because Tivo makes its money from Subs. So, you force people to either have a sub, or a doorstop period.

Also, as stevel has pointed out above: The unsubbed manual recording capability can be lost if a Clear & Delete Everything is performed. You need to contact Tivo in this case to reset the unsubbed recording flag.

9. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Yes you have the only Tivo Series 1's in existence with the Mgr Date printed on the back :D

They are worth a fortune. So that means all the pics you see on EBay of the back of a Series 1 showing the Mgr Date are faked!!!!

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ok - it should have. SteveL was merely saying the foolproof way was to find the version numbe the TiVo shipped with stamped on the original Hard Drive label.

11. stevel

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I'll admit it has been a few years since I last looked at a S1 box, but I didn't recall that they had a date stamped on the back. If they do, then that's a pretty good indication. Again, only SVR-2000s are at issue.

12. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Not to be picky, but the TSN Number is on the back of the unit, along with the Serial Number, Model Type and Model Number. The MGR Date is also there.

So you can tell from the outside by looking at the MGR Number, as well as the TSN Number.

LOL. :D

13. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Being picky, the TSN is for all intents and purposes used as the serial number by Tivo and contains no information regarding the date of manufactre or the original software - it's just a series of numbers and letters.
    It's not MGR. It's typically abbreviated as "Mfr." - there is no "G" in "manufacture"
    and while I'm at it "of" and "have" are not interchangable.

should have been
    may have lost

now you can either learn from this or gripe about the pettiness and remain ignorant - the choice is yours.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    who are you to tell him he can not do both :D

15. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Sounds like we have yet another case of "Nit Picking" going on.....

Does anyone have any nit shampoo at all. Seems to be a bad case of "Nits' going on around here :D

16. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You should of been nicer, then he might of responded. Don't you of any decency?:p

17. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    We all know the TSN is a series of Numbers and Letters. But as stevel pointed out, can be used to find out the Original Software version shipped with a unit. Also, your Spelling could be a little better: manufacture not manufactre.

I do apologise for that mistake in spelling. Yes you are right: MGR = Manager while MFR = Manufacture. While doing a Scedule for Managers at work, I got the G and F mixed up. I just hope the Managers do not see the MFR and start moaning and bit**ing about that :D

Well I will use whatever bl**dy spelling I wish to use. It also all depends on what English Language you are used to: American English, The Queens English, Australian English, New Zealand English... the list goes on. Now really who is to say you are right and others are wrong OR perhaps you Sir are ignorant yourself :D? For example:

US: Color. Proper English: Colour.
    US: Flavor. Proper English: Flavour.

Get the point? :D

18. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse

Spelling is one thing and note that I never mentioned anything about your spelling. With that out of the way, "of" is not a mis-spelling of "have." The two words have completely different purposes. (or is that - the two words of completely different purposes?)

I see by your continued use of "of" instead of "have" in recent posts, that you've decided to remain ignornant.

I tried to educate you. You refused. I'm sorry.

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ah well I was really pulling for "he would have done both" Oh well "He could of been a contanda"