Newbie here, quick question re: service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by theshack1990, Dec 29, 2011.

1. theshack1990

theshack1990 New Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Hi all, i got a Tivo in 2004 and bought the lifetime service. I just recently upgraded to a HD television and now i'm in search of HD Tivo box. Can i transfer my lifetime service? If no, what are my options?

Thanks in advance

2. Vect0r

Vect0r Member

Nov 2, 2010
    If bought in 2004, my guess is a Series 2 DT. No, you can not transfer a lifetime, but you will get a discount for having multiple TiVo's on your account. Last time I looked, it was $100 off the cost of lifetime service on the Premiere. Trust me, time to upgrade :D

3. theshack1990

theshack1990 New Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Ha! yes, i needed to upgrade just was broke and lazy but now it's time.

thanks!

4. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    A new lifetime sub will still cost $399 + the cost of a box. If you are still feeling frugal, check out eBay for S3HD boxes with lifetime. Last I looked they were in the $300-$325 range. Then you can upgrade the drive yourself. Keep in mind that to get any digital or HD channels you will need a CableCard. The original S3 requires two cards and the S3HD uses just one M-Card. That may make a difference in your monthly rental cost. Happy shopping.

5. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Gotta make it call in though... otherwise they won't see the discount.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If he bought it in 2004 it's a single tuner model.

7. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    This is patently untrue. With a decent over the air antenna he should be able to get the local broadcasters in HD for free.

This won't get you ESPN or Jersey Shore, but depending on your viewing habits it may get you 70-90% of the scripted programming you watch.

P.S. lhohrer may say that "free" TV and radio broadcasts cost thousands per year because the cost of advertising is built into many of the goods and services you buy. To which I reply: 1) skip the commercials that aren't interesting enough to warrant watching (GEICO, Bud, movie trailers, etc.); and 2) buy products that offer a good value proposition and don't advertise on TV.

You can easily get good foodstuffs at Trader Joe's, Costco, Sam's Club, BJ's, Sprouts, etc. where the products cost less and taste at least as good as the nationally advertised brands. I would suggest that annual advertising budget may be inversely proportional to quality when it comes to beer. As for cars, you're kind of screwed. BMW, Toyota, and GM each spend massively on advertising each year, yet represent vastly different price points and levels of build quality. I suppose you could get a Kia since they don't advertise as heavily or get a Maserati (but they advertise in WSJ, Financial Times, and The Economist).

OTA HDTV is out there, it's available for the one time marginal cost of buying an S3 with lifetime service and setting up an antenna, and it looks vastly superior to your old standard def TiVo. The option to pay for additional HD channels from your local cable company is just icing on an already compelling cake.

8. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    So true. I have been told, never get a mortgage or a loan from somebody who advertises on TV or the radio (exception for local banks and Credit Unions). They are making enough profit to advertise on expensive mediums.

9. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Not "patently untrue" if he is using cable or if, like in my area, OTA is not really a viable option.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    But your original statement was that the only way to get digital or HD was to have a cablecard... and that's not accurate.

OTA is a viable option for a lot of folks in cities near the towers. I can get OTA pretty damn good with just rabbit ears at my house.

11. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    One of the slick features of the S3 TiVo is its ability to handle OTA antenna, cable or both. There are lots of people who use an S3 for OTA only, lots with cable only, and some like me who have both feeding their S3s. I love the way the guide seamlessly melds cable and OTA channels into one cohesive, thorough guide.

Here you can see my To-Do List, with both OTA (the channels with a "-1" in them) and cable all mixed up.

[​IMG]

I just hooked up a new Premiere Elite, and while I'm loving the four tuners, I miss the antenna input.

Attached Files:

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I agree, hip....my original S3 (bought the day they were made available) has hummed along with an upgraded hard drive with nary a hitch. And the combination of OTA and cable is nice...