Newbie Help with Multiswitch in an Apartment

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by brianhem10, Aug 27, 2007.

1. brianhem10

brianhem10 New Member

Aug 27, 2007

Advertisements

Hi,

First off, I need to vent by saying DirecTV has gotten me crazy over the last 24 hours. I am a college student living in an apartment with a roommate, and the directv situation is killing me.

Our landlord guarantees us one directv outlet in the living room. However, I would like to watch TV in my room while my roommate has his TV in his 'living area' (he is technically living in the living room, since I am paying extra rent to live in the bedroom, its a 1-bd apt.).

He is going to be using a standard D11 receiver, and I am bringing my Hughes receiver w/ a tivo box that I just deactivated from my home account. After spending an HOUR on the phone with DirecTV, we came to the conclusion I should get a multiswitch. I learned all about how DSS works, and so I bought a $20 3/4 multiswitch.

I went to sleep last night thinking everything was solved, but when I woke up, I did some more research and realized I was screwed - technically, our apartment is just an 'output' line on the switch, so I dont have access to the dual LNB lines.

Unfortunately, our landlord restricts us to having any repairs done by their own service, so a new line being installed can take up to a month and costs more than the $50 from DTV. Is there anything I am missing on how I can get TV in more room? Is the switch we bought useless?

Another tech today said I can go out and buy a regular coax splitter, and it will work except that we have to watch the same channel on TV (which is fine). But, every site I see that talks about splitters says it won't work, so I dont really trust the tech I spoke too.

Can anyone please help!!! This is causing a huge rift between my roommate and I because I am spending a lot on a good TV and shipping my logitech Z-680's (one reason I want the Hughes receiver is it has a fiber-optic audio output, while the D11 doesnt), etc etc...and he has a ****** 15" lcd.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You pretty much have the situation described correctly. You cannot use a multiswitch. A splitter might work if, as you say, you watch the same channel. You may want to consider a wireless TV signal sender ("Rabbit" or similar) rather than trying to run the DirecTV signal to another receiver.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    If you have access to the dish or multiswitch, then you could use a stacker to combine two lines to your apartment. Then using a combination of ahigh frequency splitter, a destacker and multisiwtch to create more lines. The downside is that you'll be restricted to the 101 satellite.