1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - does Mini show OTA channels from Romio OTA dvr?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Pepe, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Hi. I'm about to purchase Roamio OTA DVR and a Mini, but I'm not clear on a few things.

1)Will the Mini (on 2nd tv) give the OTA channels coming off the Roamio OTA DVR?

2)The Roamio OTA DVR and Mini will hook to a Ethernet network, which there are inputs. Is it that easy or is there a missing part that has to be added? Thank you very much.

2. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yes, Mini can "borrow" one (of four) tuners of Roamio OTA. No, no additional parts needed.

3. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    So the mini will show a screen listing the LIVE TV OTA channels coming off the Roamio OTA DVR, so they can be watch on the mini? Thank you.

4. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes. Mini has same interface as Roamio and everything (guide, live TV, recordings, streaming apps) on it is available on any Mini. Your Roamio has 4 tuners, and as long as one is available (not recording), you can watch it on your Mini as well as pause and rewind.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "screen listing live TV channels coming off [it]". Technically, there is no such screen on the Mini showing what each of the 4 tuners is tuned to. But there is a guide (identical to the guide on the Roamio) and you can select any channel to watch live. You don't have to worry about what all the Roamio tuners are doing. Just pick a channel and watch it. Roamio will handle the tuner management in the background. If you've ever had cable or satellite, a Mini works the same way. You can't really see what all the tuners in the main box are doing, but you have a full guide and can watch any live channel you wish on any box.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  5. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you for you patient help with a newbie. I know if I order the Roamio OTA DVR directly from Tivo, then they will give me a 30 return refund. Do they do the same thing for the Mini unit?

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
  7. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Just double checking, with the Roamio OTA DVR and a Mini, there are no subscription charges? You just pay for the hardware and that is it? Correct?

8. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    No, not correct. True, Mini has no subscription charges. But Roamio is $15/month, $12.50/month if paid in annual lump sums or $0/month if you buy a lifetime subscription ("All-In").

To save money, what you need to do is try it out, return it before 30 days is up, then buy a used Roamio with lifetime and a used Mini or wait for another sale (lifetime Roamio OTA is under $300 on sale).

The only subscription-free DVR options besides Tivo with lifetime that I know of are Channel Master DVR+ and HD Homerun with Nvidia Shield or PC running DVR software (WMC, etc.). A cheap ($30) iView box also works, but has only a couple of days of limited guide data. It's pretty much just a digital version of a VCR with timers and all of that. Works ok, but nothing like the Tivo experience.

9. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    True. TiVo currently offers a Roamio OTA (with no monthly fees) for $399. See TiVo Roamio OTA DVR | Antenna DVR and Streaming | 1TB Storage

Pepe likes this.
  10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, they will work and ethernet is the best connection. All your Tivo devices must be on your tivo.com account to work.

11. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
  12. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would think your post would be confusing for a newbie and especially with regards to Pepe's question specifically about the Roamio OTA which is now sold including All-in/lifetime service like the Mini (you don't have to add it and I don't think you can buy it from TiVo or Amazon without All-in excluding older 500GB models sold by 3rd parties).

And as GBL points out, Tivo has the following on their web page for the OTA.

"Best of all, it’s now available without a monthly TiVo service fee. Pay once and the rest is all free-TV gravy."

Scott

13. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I was unaware that All-In included was the ONLY way to buy an OTA these days. My apologies. I had to go out of my way to find All-In versions of the 3 OTAs I bought in the past. I also recall other posters being upset that they bought an OTA for $50 and still had to pay a subscription fee.

HerronScott likes this.
  14. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    When did you buy yours and were they used? The Roamio OTA 1TB with lifetime was launched in May 2016 but not sure when they dropped the older models without lifetime.

Roamio OTA 1TB

Scott

15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks for the info. All were used. Don't remember the exact dates.

16. HerronScott

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    As you indicated, users definitely need to be careful buying Roamio OTA's used if they are looking for lifetime/All-in.

Scott

Pepe likes this.
  17. Pepe

Pepe New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Thank you all for the kind help. God bless.