Newbie Can't Stream Hulu Live News

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ScottAndTV, Jul 21, 2018.

1. ScottAndTV

ScottAndTV New Member

Jul 21, 2018

Advertisements

So I was a TiVO customer decades ago. There's been some changes! I'm getting ready to cut the cord and have my old cable box running on an HDMI port while I get my new TiVO Bolt 500TB all the way set up. The Mofu leaf antenna is mostly working ok, (some weak signals I can't quite sort out), but the real confusion - to me- is Hulu.

Next, I got the Hulu app running fine and bought the service so I could get the selections of stations I want, including live news like CNN and Fox, etc. While I understand the core Tivo guide maybe won't show these and I need to launch the app, what I can't see is how to stream live news. From the app, I can find the networks, but not live. Is this not possible with TiVo? If it's not, then maybe the whole thing isn't worth it. I got it to DVR OTA, but it's not doing the best job pulling in stations, (I got more with the antenna just plugged into the TV), and I thought the Guide would integrate multiple services. But if it doesn't... then I'm not sure just Sling or Roku or whatever might be good enough.

What am I don't wrong here? If I'm a paid Hulu customer, shouldn't I be able to just get 'live' CNN or Fox or whatever?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
  3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Also... none of the OTT cable replacement services (DTVN, PS Vue, Sling TV, Hulu Live TV, YouTube TV, Philo) offer an app for the TiVo platform.

4. ScottAndTV

ScottAndTV New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    So what it gets down to is TiVO is useful only as Guide/DVR for OTT?

Hmmm... I have to think if that's going to be worth it vs. another paid service. I'm still within my 30 day return period from BestBuy so may have to re-consider this. Are there other current values for TiVO of which I'm unaware?

5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs

Advertisements

No, TiVo offer no guide/DVR functions for OTT, it only does that for cable and over the air tv, but it does have a few streaming apps you can use to watch OTT.

6. ScottAndTV

ScottAndTV New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    I've looked at the streaming apps, and actually have a trial Hulu subscription, (the $40 with live TV), but the thing is the live TV part, (for news like CNN/Fox/Etc.), doesn't seem to be part of it. Now, it's possible this will be added at some point in the future. But it also seems that the reality is that cord cutting still has some major hassles to it. Namely, you need to switch services to get everything you had with cable.

Perhaps I'd foolishly misunderstood, but I'd thought the TiVO guide covered multiple services. If not, then I just need another. Maybe TiVO is still worth it and I'll keep it though. But only if it gets over the air nicely enough. Which... is also interesting. Because my Mofu antenna seems to to better when directly connected to the Sony Bravia vs. the TiVO, which makes no sense at all as the antenna is the same. (And yes, I've made sure the coax is well connected, etc.)

I've got a week to evaluate before it has to go back or not. So we'll see.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    "OTA," rather than "OTT" -- different terms with distinct meanings -- and TiVo's are also useful for digital cable, not just Over-the-Air antenna. And in terms of OTT, not "only," since TiVo's are quite useful in terms of integrated support for a number of streaming apps -- just none of the live cable TV replacement offerings.

If your main goal is finding a device that supports one of the cable replacement OTT services, a TiVo is NOT a fit.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    This is where TCF may be able to help you, in terms of making sure you have the right antenna for your location and understanding the benefits/limits of TiVo's OTA capabilities.

A couple quick notes:
    • A TV will often have improved reception over a modern TiVo because the TV has a single tuner capturing the full signal, whereas a TiVo has an internal splitter diverting the signal to each of 4 OTA-capable tuners. The TiVo's also include built-in automatic gain circuitry, but it may not be able to compensate fully for the signal split; and, simply, the tuners in the TiVo's may be of a different quality than what's included in the TV.

• You can check a number of websites to determine what type of antenna would be needed to receive OTA programming for your location. For example:

p.s. As an example, my mom's been doing OTA with a TiVo for a few years, and she occasionally mentioned glitches with her PBS station. Well, I finally got off my ask and switched from a simple in-room antenna to an antenna in the attic and she now has a great signal across each station (62, 67, 72%) sans amplification. The in-room amp had signals in the 40s for PBS, but it seemed like the cash-starved station's antenna didn't always consistently broadcast and inclement weather could cause drop-outs. All is now good, and I'm welcomed in the home again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. ScottAndTV

ScottAndTV New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Thanks. Good tips. I will now have to double-check by re-scanning, but the Sony Bravia we've got seemed to get more stations, (I think it was 40), vs. the TiVO, which got a few less, but more importantly, when you select them on TiVO, they don't really work. The Mofu Leaf was selected based on going to antennaweb.org and others to figure out what range I needed. (It does use an amplifier.) Over the Sony, most of our basic stations come in well, with occasional pixelation. (Now, my sample data here is a few days worth of playing around for a few hours total; hardly definitive.)

I'm ok with the $15/month for the Bolt in order to DVR the OTA channels if I can work that out, and then another service for the other stuff. That will still be less than cable, even after you add in decent 'net. $50+$40+15 is still $60 less than the cable package we have now. The question will be which other service. Ideally, it would have been an app via the TiVO so everything would be on one Input. But if I have to switch to HDMI #whatever for other stuff, that's fine. Or get it from one of the TV's own apps. It does seem TiVO puts itself at risk by not being as fully capable as some of the other cord cutting products though.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, this would be great. We started using VUDU only because it was readily available on the TiVo, and the same is probably true for Hulu. Fingers crossed.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    As an OTA guy, I truly enjoy my TiVo box as a master manipulator of OTA programming: having multiple tuners, being able to record/time-shift including multiple shows being broadcast at the same time, large in-box storage, TiVo trick-play (love that SkipMode and QuickMode, as well as 8-second rewind), being able to download/upload from/to, etc., and then, secondarily, app availability.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  12. ScottAndTV

ScottAndTV New Member

Jul 21, 2018
    OK. So for us, it seems to make sense to keep TiVO. The only question will be which other service to use than, and via what delivery platform. Hulu clearly won't do it over TiVO, and possibly not even directly over the Sony TV. Oh well.