newb w/series 3 question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by echo4747, Sep 14, 2006.

1. echo4747

echo4747 New Member

Sep 14, 2006

Advertisements

-I am considering purchasing a series 3 and would like to know if I can use this unit with ONLY an ota antenna to record ota hdtv without having any sort of cable card? I plan on getting a cable card(s) in the near future (3-4 months)

- What make or sort of atsc tuner does this have? (i.e. 5th gen LG) Does it do a good job at rejecting multipath signals?

-when the hard drive becomes full any way to archive recorded programming to DVHS? or archive any other way?

Thanks Frank

2. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    Yes.

I cannot answer that one, perhaps someone else can.

You can connect a VCR and record your show off the Tivo "live." Currently, there is no way to move video directly from an S3 to another medium, but apparently they are working on it. TivoToGo (which allows you to copy videos to your computer) will probably never be available.

3. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I can answer your first question because that's how I'm going to use it. I have an OTA antenna and will get all of my programming that way. So yes, you can use an OTA antenna and don't need cable cards.

4. echo4747

echo4747 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Is anybody currently using a series 3 with an antenna? I would like to know if this box has a good atsc tuner compared to some of the earlier ota set top boxes out there.

5. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area

Advertisements

Other posters have indicated that the OTA tuner is a newer generation one that should be better than previous options. It might have even been the latest LG one. Search posts in the last couple days for details - pretty sure "LG" was in the post.

6. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I'll be getting my S3 today and will have it hooked up to an antenna for OTA HD reception/recording. Right now, I'm using an older Sammy SIR-T151. For awhile last winter, I had the Sony DHG unit. So, after I hook it up tonight, I'll post my thoughts on how the S3 compares to those other units in OTA reception.

7. echo4747

echo4747 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'll be looking forward to your thoughts
    btw: is/was the tuner in the Sony DHG better than the Sam T151?

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It has two SAMSUNG, DNVS355JV351A, 060601 MVT tuner blocks

Currently there is no way to archive in HD. You can only save to an SD VCR or DVD recorder with the composite or S-video outputs.

Supposedly, you can upgrade the internal HD capacity though.

9. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    yes weakness already has a 750gb upgrade for $600 you get 98-100 hours of HD and 900+ hours of SD.