newb setup connection question here

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Mush, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Mush

Mush New Member

Apr 18, 2018

Advertisements

I like to have a solid plan before I start....
    I’m going to retire my Premiere XL (2 tuner) and do away with the single cable box I need for a bedside TV.

So the new setup will be a TiVo Bolt simple 4 tuner 500 meg (I will upgrade to 2TB) and a Tivo mini by my bed. (I have no need for VOC, devices listening to me creeps me out :)

I would love to get an understanding of the process of connecting the mini to the Bolt. I see MoCa and network connection, IDK what MoCa is. I assume the network is not unit to unit but the same router/netwok.

I have a studio apartment so the remotes will be in range of each other; the two units aren’t more than 15 feet apart. (I need a small beside TV the main TV is just too bright and loud.)

I prefer high quality verses just simple and be done…. So how should I interconnect these units?

final question
    I have a cable card setup and working in my XL, can I simply move to a new Tivo.

I have cablevision / Altice / optimum online

Thank you,

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Is there a reason? Not to suggest you shouldn't do it, but it's a lot of money when you already have a solution.

That said. You might find a basic Roamio with an A93 Mini more cost effective. There's a significant increase in speed. For a small space, Ethernet might be the best connection method. The cable card should be ok to move.

I suggested the A93 Mini since it supports rf. You could get a cheaper ir only A92 mini and block the front of the host. Neither Mini is sold new but many good deals can be found here -> Buyer/Seller Area

MoCA is networking using the coax cable. You will need to run something to the Mini, and if you decide on MoCA a Bolt will be a better host. Abbreviations are in my signature, including MoCA.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  3. Mush

Mush New Member

Apr 18, 2018

LOL I've been planning to upgrade for awhile.
    My main TV is now ultra4K (old TV was 1080P and it died) and my premiere XL is not. The cable box by my bed is just a piece of crap, so I'm thinking i will save $12 a month returning their box and I'm paying $21 a month for Tivo. I think i can save $144 a year for a crap cable box and another $90 a year if i prepay the year of Tivo service.
    These are rationalizing excuses of course I like my toys.
    I sleep better with quiet sleep to TV on and the box there is just garbage. I dont sleep well when its picture is dropping out or it goes to snow and loud white noise once or twice a week.
    going to a Cablevision store is just tiresome there DVR failures got me to Tivo, and the cable modem was crap too (I bought my own on Amazon)

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Then it's a Bolt, but the only 4k content now is streaming. I would still stick with a A93 Mini. But it's your money. I like my toys too. :)

This may sound weird, but I like the TV on too. But I can turn off the TV and just let the audio play through my AVR. After all, my eyes are closed.

Mush likes this.
  5. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015

Advertisements

The official tivo way is either connect via Ethernet or use MoCA. Some folks who know wireless and have robust equipment have been able to use wireless Media bridge type devices to convert wireless to Ethernet to "fool" their Tivos into thinking they are connected via Ethernet, 5GHz band recommended. The Bolt alone can connect via wireless for it's network connection, but it is rare and difficult to get it to then support a mini with the main connection being wireless only.
    MoCA is built into the Bolt and mini but you would still need Ethernet to the Bolt if you want to use it as a MoCA source. If using MoCA, you would also need to install a MoCA POE/ Whole Home DVR filter on the input of the first splitter feeding your home/ apartment. This might be easy or require a truck roll if everything is secured in a wiring closet of some sort.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Here's the bottom line:

Bolt VOX and Mini VOX. You get the latest tech and you may love it.
    or
    Bolt and A93 Mini. Less money. Your choice.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Also, here’s something to keep in mind if you’ll get your 4K kicks through your TV’s apps (recommended at the start) or a Roku or AppleTV; and if you don’t have an interest in mobile streaming:

Roamio OTA cable card slot?

Especially attractive in the Roamio OTA is the included All-In/Lifetime service, and cheaper, bigger hard drive upgrades.