NewB questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jpcamaro70, Nov 23, 2011.

1. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm considering the tivo premiere. Due to a recent breakup I can't get directv so i'm saddled with cablevision and their 8300 hd reciever (JUNK).

Are there any new customer programs that i may not be aware of. I see on the website the new tivo is 79.99, but the monthly programming of $19.99 is pretty steep. While reading the threads i see 6.95, 12.95, 14.95 monthly, but i can't seem to get it for less than 19.95. Any ideas, hints, suggestions.

Please be kind to the newb. I will contribute once i own a tivo....

2. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    one other thing. do you need two cablecards from the cable company to use both tuners? or does one cablecard do the job?

3. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    No new user promos on service I have seen. Most here will likely recommend purchasing Lifetime service for $499.00. I did in August and am very happy with that decision. Should you ever decide to resell the TiVo it will retain it's value.

Purchase from Amazon @ 75.00 and save the tax. Free shipping too.
    http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD746320-Premiere-DVR-Black/dp/B0036OR910/

4. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just one M-Card CableCARD. The Premiere only has one slot for the 2 Tuners.

5. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    thank you, i've been looking on amazon but i guess i missed that.

6. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  7. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    The $14.95 is the discounted price for having more than one Tivo. The $12.95 is the price for older models. $6.95 is a grandfathered price from back in the day where customers who were paying that price have been allowed to keep it.

The $19.99 is that high because the hardware is being sold so cheap. Full price for a Tivo used to be around $299. They just discounted the box and raised the price for service. Another vote for Lifetime if you can afford the upfront cost. The break even of monthly vs Lifetime is about 25 months. If you plan to have the box longer than that than LT is the better option.

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Don't be unnecessarily kind. The 8300HD aspires in its wildest dreams to be good enough to be considered a piece of junk.

But beating up on noobs is the only fun I have around here. ;)

9. CoxInPHX

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    I also have an SA8240HDC (all digital CC version of the 8300HD) running Aptiv/Rovi Passport Echo version 3.1.091 w/ a 1TB external HDD. It does an excellent job of being a basic 2 tuner DVR. As a matter of fact, I cannot yet get the WAF on the TiVo, she thinks it is too complicated and is resistant to change. So for now I have to keep the 8240HDC.

10. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    You are right, it's fun beating up on the noobs. And right about the SA, I thought nothing could be worse when directv stopped selling the tivo and went with D10's. Oh it got worse alright, I've been afforded the opportunity all these years to avoid dreaded cablevision. Well it caught up with me, I now MUST have cable and i hate it.

I remember the old tivo as better than anything else around at the time. If this Premier is as good as the DTV HR21 I'll be a happy man.

11. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Is TiVo Not offering the discounted option of paying yearly, by annual or three year offers?
    I have been paying yearly for some time and just renew at what I had but for the newcomer that may an option to reduce service cost..if its still available.

Another option for the noob, look on ebay and or Craigslist. You can find TiVo HD's and Premiere's with Lifetime cheaper than you can buy new from TiVo with lifetime. Beware of what your buying if buying a used TiVo. Make sure it works and if sold with Lifetime learn how to tell if it has lifetime service or not by looking in the menu at the info screen of the unit your buying.

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I couldn't help but compare this to the use of drugs. :)

You don't HAVE to have cable, but you want it. All that wonderful programming available to satisfy the urge to escape reality.
    :D

:p

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    What, your former Significant Other stole your satellite dish?

Hijacked your account in their name?

The restraining order means you have to live somewhere without line of sight?

Perspiring minds want to know!

14. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I had to move into in apartment which is attached to someones home, so i can't go installing any dish, plus I'm kind of in the middle of woods. And the kicker is I still have the directv in my name and pay for it. Lovely isn't it.

Oh yeah, and that pesky restraining order. LOL (kidding)

That amazon deal is gone this morning, it was 70 yesterday but 99 today, but another amazon retailer had it for 73.50 free shipping, so i just bought it. But when i entered my amazon cc it asked if i wanted to use points and i had like $34 in points that i knew nothing about.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Ouch! Sorry I poured salt into that particular wound.

Glad to hear something went right for you. Maybe it's karma offsetting the bad a little.

Unless it's from your ex buying stuff on your Amazon account.:eek:

Try and have a good T-day anyhow.:)

At least our exchange here has gotten you up to enough posts to be able to insert links or PM other members or something like that.:D

16. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011

so that means i'm not a noob anymore?

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Considering how you were ripped from the world of satellite and thrust into cable, grabbing the TiVo lifeline, I'd say you've passed the initiation.:D

18. jpcamaro70

jpcamaro70 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    You centainly have a way with words...