Newb here with questions please help

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gibson99, Dec 30, 2005.

1. gibson99

gibson99 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Hi guys,

I have been enjoying my series 2 tivo for years now and could not imagine life without it. I am about to purchase a sceptre 37" LCD television. I am currently a comcast customer and I plan on upgrading to one of their HD boxes. I have been reading through many threads on this subject and I have just been getting more and more confused. I thought about just using comcast's HD DVR to keep things simple but I am afraid it won't be up to tivo standards. I am trying to figure out the best setup where I could have HD tv, tivo, and no loss of quality in picture. Any help is very much appreciated. I would be happy to talk over AIM if anyone would prefer that. I also have questions about HD dvd players and burning tv to DVD, but I will save thoes questions for another time unless you guys are feeling up to it now. Thanks in advance.

2. jamesbobo

jamesbobo with a grain of salt

Jun 18, 2000
    NJ
    TiVo and Comcast have reached an agreement to incorporate TiVo software in Comcast DVR's. You may have to wait a year until this happens. Before that time, TiVo may have their own HD DVR that can work with any cable system. In the meantime, you can use Comcasts DVR but since I don't have one, I can't comment on it. My niece has one and has no complaints but I've never seen it for myself.

3. Jan 1, 2006 #3 of 11
    gibson99

gibson99 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Can anyone else comment on Comcast's HD DVR???

4. Jan 1, 2006 #4 of 11
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 11
    gibson99

gibson99 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    does anyone else have any experience with their HD DVR?

6. Jan 3, 2006 #6 of 11
    elbodude

elbodude New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Santa Clara, CA
    It's OK, if you have never used a Tivo, like my father. I have an HR10-250 which I love. When I go to his house, I really hate to use his Comcast HD DVR. I mean it does the job, but it's not very intuitive.

7. Jan 3, 2006 #7 of 11
    gibson99

gibson99 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    yeah that's the thing, I LOVE my tivo, but I think it's probably better to just keep things as simple as possible by using the comcast DVR.

8. Jan 4, 2006 #8 of 11
    UGARx

UGARx Chris

Sep 30, 2005
    Atlanta
    If you love tiVo then you will REALLY be dissapointed with the Comcast DVR. I remember reading a post from a guy who wondered why everyone didn't have a DVR....until he went to Comcast.

I switched to Comcast for 1 month to take advantage of the HD offerings, and my WIFE made me go back b/c she wanted her TiVo. I thought it was horrible, too. The remote control is reason enough....

I called D* CSR and got a deal on a HD TiVo and have never regretted it....

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 11
    memnoch

memnoch Billy Gardner

Dec 24, 2004
    Flemington, NJ
    Assuming you already have comcast, you can keep your tivo setup the way it is and simply add the comcast hddvr for recording hd only. You said you were looking for a way to keep your tivo and have hd - this will work fine.

I know you didn't actually ask your hddvd-r question yet, but in case you don't know, it doesn't exsist yet. Hopefully this year.

10. gibson99

gibson99 New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Yeah that may work, although I will have to pay for both the comcast DVR as well as Tivo. I think I will give the comcast DVR a try and if it really that bad, I will try your idea. Actually, I am even considering returning my Sceptre LCD due to the loss in picture quality of non-HD channels. I am going to test it out for a week or so before I make my final decision.

11. memnoch

memnoch Billy Gardner

Dec 24, 2004
    Flemington, NJ
    FYI, Sony seems to have one of the best HDTVs for displaying SD images. I'm very happy with mine once I tweaked it.